Head west old man!

justjames

Adventurist
This old man and his lovely bride of 47 years is about to head west. We're both retired and are planning to spend the next 2-3 months exploring. We will be leaving NC this weekend with our sites set on the Rockies from south to north. I have downloaded a couple versions of the Continental Divide Trail (CDT) plus several other areas of interest. We're traveling in our 2015 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition. I've done a suspension and tire upgrade and this will be our maiden voyage with our Shiftpod 2.

Our first few days will be spent on the Georgia Traverse then onto I-40 somewhere near Memphis. Temperature and precipitation will dictate our next stops as we are trying to escape mid 90's of temp and humidity. I'm hoping we will be able to catch Palo Duro SP and Caprock Canyon SP in N. Texas. I've been watching their local forecasts and it seems they flop back and forth between mid 80s to mid 60's for hi temps during May so I know they could be cooking when we get there.

We're planning to meander in the hi-country of NM and then possibly on to the North Rim area while hopefully allowing the San Juans to thaw a little. If Colorado is still snowed under, we will go into southern/central Utah. I could probably spend our entire summer in Utah but at some point we will have to get back into the mountains to escape the heat. That is our loose itinerary and is subject to change.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

My suggestion is to go where the wind blows. Hit your must see places and just wander where the mood hits in between.

Enjoy!

Colorado may take quite a while to thaw. Overall the melt is late, and we are still getting occasional snow in the high country. The various entities are plowing roads and trails to help promote thawing.

Bushducks is a good resource to see what trails and passes are open.

Thanks Kevin, I'm watching Bushducks and one other site. At this point we will probably wander our way to the west end of the north rim of the Grand Canyon and work our way back to the Page area then north thru Grand Staircase-Escalante. If Colorado is still frozen or flooded we will go up thru Moab and on to Wyoming and Montana. The boss is saying if she is still having fun by mid July she wants to see Alaska! Who am I to question that?

Back
Top Bottom