HAWAII

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Crowd Sourced! Share information and ask specific questions about this state here.

This section is focused on documenting the following:
  • Adventure Opportunities & Destinations
  • Trails
  • Campsites
  • Watercraft Put-Ins/Take-Outs
  • Local Info, Highlights & Lore
  • Local Regulations & Local Insight

IMG_0272.JPG

It is by far my favorite location to visit. Been to all of the islands. I'll start this off with what I have found to be the off road opportunities on the islands. I always rent a 4x4 Wrangler. One thing to note, never go onto posted property. If not posted, you are likely good but if confronted, be polite and head back out. Actually good advice for anywhere you travel.

By far, the best island for off road wheeling is the Big Island (Hawaii). Lots of trails to explore. We did about 300 miles worth on our first trip there.

Next island for wheeling would be Kauai. There is still a lot of undeveloped areas that are hunting trails or paths around the back country. Still a lot of open land that is not posted private. This island is by far my favorite as it is the greenest and most tropical like. Many movies have been filmed on this island.

Next would be Maui. Unfortunately there are not many trails to explore. There are a few but much of this island is private property, mainly ranch area. There are a few, mostly at the very southern or northern part of the island.

The worst for any off road adventure is on Oahu. Almost all of this island is private property/no access. If you happen to know any locals, they can get you access but for someone just off the plane and looking for some wheeling, it has almost none.

Hopefully this is a start and others can add more info about Hawaii. A few pics just to show you. These were on the Big Island.

PICT5263.JPG

PICT5310.JPG

PICT5347.JPG

PICT5647.JPG

PICT5671.JPG

I'll just say this... I spent 9 days on Hawaii (big island) long ago, it's the only place I've ever been that I did not want to leave... I very nearly cried when I got on the plane home....

oh. you are evil. we've spent significant time there but just kuaui and oahu. when i was freelancing for the surf mags, we'd spend almost the entire month of december there. fly into honolulu, drive to the north shore then not leave. we'd rent a place at keiki bungalows. we got to know the owner and his family very well.

15 min walk down the beach would put you at ehukai park, pipeline. 10 min walk the other way was the grocery store.

one year, we got lucky and i was able to manage to photograph the eddie. 40' waves that year. it was nuts. same year that i ever actually feared for my life while swimming with a camera. i almost made the cover of Surfer with this one.

27820017.jpg

but instead, i got a double truck placement with this one.

sepia-2.jpg

both are slide scans. man, i went through a lot of film on those trips. i'll have to dig some other stuff out and put together a list for this thread.

An old friend told me of always getting a rental car and heading up on the big volcano mountain whenever he went. He loved going up there. I dont recall which island, smart people will likely know which one. I was surprised to learn it snows on the peak of it.

I have a little bit of time this morning to come back to this. As I mentioned, most of my knowledge is about Kauai and Oahu. Although, I do know the answer to @Malamute's question from above. The volcano is Haleakala on Maui. Summit is just a touch over 10,000' and yes, it occasionally snows. There is a crater hike as well as an astronomical observatory. I know people that have gone up there, skied part way down, switched to mountain bikes then switched to surfboards. It'd be pretty cool to hit my 3 favorite sports all in one run.

Anyway, here's what I know. This might get a little wordy.

In general, I've always treated Hawaii like any of the other South Pacific islands (Fiji, Samoa, etc) I have visited. You are the foreigner. Yes, it is a US state but that doesn't matter. Culture there runs deep. Respect it and the people. Try not to act like a tourist. Do not leave anything of value in your rental car. Especially if you pull up and park at someplace like Sandy's or Makaha. Leave the windows down and the doors unlocked. There are still many places where haoles are not welcome. Respect that as well.

On Oahu...

Traffic sucks. Honolulu is just like LA. If possible, stay off the H1, H2 and H3. You can get around the island just fine without using the "interstates". You're on island time anyway. Relax and enjoy the slower pace.

There are a few things worth taking a look at in Honolulu proper. Obviously, Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial. This should be at the top of your list. It's history and it's important. The Arizona is a powerful place.

Chinatown. This is amazing. Authentic restaurants with some of the best dim sum I can ever remember having. If you're into markets (I am and tend to seek these out on purpose), you will makes some amazing finds. The markets are traditional and you will be hard pressed to hear English. Sights and smells will put you right into Hong Kong.

The Iolani Palace and King Kamehameha statue are worth taking a peek at as well.

Starting to move out of Honolulu. Diamond Head is worth a quick hike. Views are great. If you've got kids, and you're visiting in the winter, Kailua Beach Park is worth a visit. There will be no surf here and the beach is expansive.

Next history stop would be the B'yodo-In Temple. There is an extensive all Japanese cemetery as well as the 18' tall carved Buddha.

One of the most amazing hikes I've done is the Haiku Stairs or Stairway to Heaven. Unfortunately, I believe it is now off limits. It's worth looking up for the pictures alone.

From the Temple, you can head north up the 83 along the coast. On the NE corner of the island is the James Campbell National Wildlife Refuge. It's worth a look. Once you pass that, close your eyes until you get past the Turtle Bay Resort. You can open them again when you hit Sunset. If the surf is firing, stay here and watch for a bit. Next stop is Ehukai Park, Pipeline. If you've never seen the power of South Pacific surf, stay awhile.

Pipeline has 3 reefs. In the summer, there is great snorkeling. In the winter, feats of amazing physical ability. On big days, 7-10' Hawaiian (14-20' everywhere else), the waves will be breaking on the 2nd and 3rd reefs. It is a massive amount of water and it moves like no other wave I've ever seen. It is scary fast.

Next to Pipe is Backdoor which is the right to Pipe's left. Very similar wave just going the other direction. After that you can mosey down the beach all the way to Keiki and Shark's Cove. If you don't want to walk in the sand, there is a bike/walking path that runs in between the houses and the highway.

As I mentioned earlier, Keiki is where we always stayed. The beach out front is peaceful and they've strung hammocks up in the trees. The surf there can be just as large and violent as the big surf spots down the beach. However, where Pipe breaks in 8-10' of water, Keiki breaks in 4-6. It is unforgiving and the realm of body surfers and body boarders. Here's an idea.

Keiki_Shorebreak.jpg

Keiki_Bodyboarder.jpg

Once you pass Shark's Cove, you get to Waimea Bay. Again, just mind blowing surf in the winter if the swell direction is right but also a great spot to just kick it in the sand. Across the street from the Bay is the Waimea Valley Gardens. Great spot to take a relaxing stroll. Except for the peacocks. They can be a touch on the aggressive side. It also has the potential to be a little muggy and buggy so bring the bug spray.

After Waimea is Hale'iwa. This is a little tourist spot but the shaved ice is welcome on a warm day.

Through Hale'iwa, you'll end up driving out to Kaena Point. There is some hiking out here along with a bunch of military stuff. You will also see quite a few tent towns. I had heard rumblings that the state was trying to force them to other areas but I do not know the outcomes. Most of them are squatter families.

Kaena Point is the end of the road. To get to the west side of the island, you'll have to backtrack to Kam Hwy and head south over the hill to the H2 into Honolulu. From there, get on the H1 and head over to Makaha and the end of the road on the south side of Kaena Point. This is the empty side of the island. Far more localized. If you are asked/told to move on, nod your head and apologize for the intrusion.

Kauai will be in the next post.

Kauai.

Oh. My. God. Napali. Ok, we're done. No more needs to be said.

Actually, there's quite a bit more to Kauai then just Napali but as much of your time as possible needs to be spent there.

First spot to visit is Wailua Falls. Do not settle for just standing in the parking lot and looking down at them. There is a trail just on the other side of the guard rail. If you have never been introduced to the wonderfulness that is Hawaiian mud, now is your chance. This is a very steep, slippery trail but it is well used. You might be able to get kids down it if you take it slow and don't mind a little slipping and sliding. Once down, you'll be able to hike around and behind the falls. It's a pretty rad view. And the noise. Wow.

After the falls, head up the coast on the Kuhio Hwy.

Your next stop, Kilauea Lighthouse. Time your visit so you can catch a tour then go wander the wildlife refuge. The incredible blue/green contrast between water and land should be starting to hit you about now.

After Kilauea, you'll find Princeville. Nothing to see hear except for one thing that you will need to do your own research on how to find. Queen's Bath.

Now, you'll be coming down the hill into Hanalei. Do your best to ignore all the Silicon Valley tech giants who are gobbling up land here. This is a picturesque sleepy little town. Grab some food, head out to the bay and sit at the end of the pier. Watch the kids play and the surfers. Hopefully you came at sunset. From the pier, look across the bay and you'll see the outline of Puff the Magic Dragon. Pete Yarrow came up with the song while sitting in that spot. Pretty sure he had a little herbal help at the same time.

After Hanalei, island life pretty much ends. There's a few well known surf spots and some beaches but you're getting to the end of the road.

You'll come across Limahuli Gardens which are worth a visit. Some folklore and lots of flora and fauna in their natural state.

After Limahuli is Ha'ena State Park. Ke'e Beach is here as well as the trailhead for the Kalalau Trail. Ke'e Beach is fantastic and very well protected. Great snorkeling. Kalalau is amazing. Right along the cliff. The water is brilliant turquoise, the cliffs are black lava rock and the jungle comes right to the edge. I've only seen a very small portion of this but you can hike all the way into Napali from here.

Napali is simply mind blowing. I'd like to go back and spend several days backpacking and camping there. For me, I've always found it more impressive than the Grand Canyon. If you can afford it, the helicopter tours are pretty awesome.

Well, that's all I know. It's been many years since we've been down there and I do miss it. I need to figure out how to get back sometime soon.

Kauai.

Oh. My. God. Napali. Ok, we're done. No more needs to be said.

Actually, there's quite a bit more to Kauai then just Napali but as much of your time as possible needs to be spent there. <snip>

Seconded. Although I've had the benefit of spending time on all five main islands, and way too much on Oahu thanks to the Navy and Marine Corps, if I was pressed with the question of what you would describe as "paradise", Kauai would be my answer.

Spent several vacations there exploring the island; every nook and cranny and every aspect of local life, was thoroughly enjoyed.

Back
Top Bottom