Hard wired power inverters

Interesting thread. I have taken the route in most circumstances of going 12v in most "overlanding" circumstances.

However, Ann and I were working on a project up in our field over the weekend. One of our last stages required drilling through some lumber and also through a cedar log. Too far from any power source, but I had a brain storm. I took the cheapo inverter we have (modified sine wave) and my drill up to the field along with the jeep. Hooked the inverter to the jeep battery, left the Jeep running fired up the drill no problem. I think if this would ever wind up a normally used procedure, I would upgrade the inverter.

Anyway, solved my problem of the moment and we are soon to have a porch swing mounted overlooking our field, which makes Ann happy. It did make me reevaluate moving to the battery powered tools... which may come along soon.

Hooked the inverter to the jeep battery, left the Jeep running fired up the drill no problem. I think if this would ever wind up a normally used procedure, I would upgrade the inverter.
You should NEVER run an inverter without the engine running on a typical vehicle battery bank.

In an atypical installation, using an inverter to power a dometic air conditioner and a computer/modem, I dropped below safe voltage levels after 4 hours without any charging occurring. The installed equipment was a Magnum Pure Sine 2500 watt inverter, and the power source was THREE Deka 8D batteries, 245 Amp Hour per battery. Pretty sure most of you aren't running around with over 700 amp hours on board.

Inverters are a last resort method.

You should NEVER run an inverter without the engine running on a typical vehicle battery bank.

In an atypical installation, using an inverter to power a dometic air conditioner and a computer/modem, I dropped below safe voltage levels after 4 hours without any charging occurring. The installed equipment was a Magnum Pure Sine 2500 watt inverter, and the power source was THREE Deka 8D batteries, 245 Amp Hour per battery. Pretty sure most of you aren't running around with over 700 amp hours on board.

I agree on it as a last resort. I appreciate the knowledge on this forum. Frankly probably never would have even thought about it but for learning about all this "overlanding" crap :)
Not having any base of knowledge of this stuff, common sense demanded that, just as when winching, it makes sense to keep the engine running when demanding a heavy electrical load.

Most GMC's come with inverters and 110/120v plugs these days. I had a customer come in and tell me his inverter wasn't working. I checked the fuse, sure enough, it was popped. I asked him what he was trying to run off of it...his wife's blow dryer, while camping. It took some 'splaining to get through this guys head that just because the plug "fit" didn't mean it was going to power it. I even broke out some 7th grade shop class electrical formula's for him.

Why they ever got rid of industrial arts classes in favor of unicorn psychology classes in schools is beyond me. :sarcasm

I just completed installing a Magnum 2000 pure sine wave inverter in my van. I agree with earlier posts regarding trying to stick with 12volt DC power to charge devices when possible. Look into something like the iGo type chargers that incorporate different tips for different devices. The inverter is very inefficient in comparison to sticking with DC, especially when most devices need DC to charge anyway.

I was able to get a great deal on this used inverter and the main reason I purchased it is that it has a very good 3 stage charger built in. When I run my generator or plug into shore power it charges my house 4D battery and/or my starting battery if I wish and takes into account the battery temp as well. While driving I can charge via the alternator or solar as well but the charging isn't as good as a 3 stage charge.

The inverter is also nice for powering the microwave for short bursts to heat something for the family if needed. I made sure to use Blue Sea Terminal fuses and protective wire loom on the 2/0 wire. Most inverters are overkill for the average off-roader but it works well for my setup, which is bit more complicated due to it being more of an RV.

My last van had a modified sine wave inverter and never had a problem running anything. If you are charging Lithium type batteries or using sensitive equipment going with a pure sine wave inverter is a good idea. For the average off-roader just a smaller pure sine wave inverter works well. Hard wiring it with the proper gauge wire and fused protection should be a top priority.

If you have questions let me know.

Pretty sure most of you aren't running around with over 700 amp hours on board.

I have about the same in actual usable amp hours ;) lithiums - been working on a new battery box for them. Super nerdy, wanted to show them off like a computer case with a window where you can see the motherboard and stuff. Down to the detail work now.

17992186_1687676031528757_4762789187825829802_n.jpg

I just completed installing a Magnum 2000 pure sine wave inverter in my van. I agree with earlier posts regarding trying to stick with 12volt DC power to charge devices when possible. Look into something like the iGo type chargers that incorporate different tips for different devices. The inverter is very inefficient in comparison to sticking with DC, especially when most devices need DC to charge anyway.

I was able to get a great deal on this used inverter and the main reason I purchased it is that it has a very good 3 stage charger built in. When I run my generator or plug into shore power it charges my house 4D battery and/or my starting battery if I wish and takes into account the battery temp as well. While driving I can charge via the alternator or solar as well but the charging isn't as good as a 3 stage charge.

The inverter is also nice for powering the microwave for short bursts to heat something for the family if needed. I made sure to use Blue Sea Terminal fuses and protective wire loom on the 2/0 wire. Most inverters are overkill for the average off-roader but it works well for my setup, which is bit more complicated due to it being more of an RV.

My last van had a modified sine wave inverter and never had a problem running anything. If you are charging Lithium type batteries or using sensitive equipment going with a pure sine wave inverter is a good idea. For the average off-roader just a smaller pure sine wave inverter works well. Hard wiring it with the proper gauge wire and fused protection should be a top priority.

If you have questions let me know.

It really depends on the inverter. Modern inverters are pretty efficient actually. It's just that they used to be inefficient and people keep repeating that.

Magnum is a great brand, I've been contemplating a 3000-watt hybrid for a long time. But the reality is, our 600-watts served us just fine while living full time in our Airstream. The only use for 3000 watts I have is the A/C and I ended up using a soft start conversion so I can run it off the single Honda generator. Nearly 1/8th the cost of the hybrid.

Clearly not the average install!

I got bored.

@BoldAdventure You must make a blood oath right now to NEVER, EVER, talk to wives from this forum about air conditioning... Good gosh man, we are talking too much money for us mere mortals! o_O

The rule is to move with the weather. So it's always pleasant outside your door. It's easier to sell them on. ;)

Since I work in the power inverter industry I will weigh in here.

First off, Blue Sea Gear is awesome and has it's place. If you are running 12v devices they are the heat. I run Blue Sea gear in my rig.

Secondly , consider ALL the devices that will be attached to the inverter at any given time. Carefully calculate your needs and the Wattage, Amperage, Lock Rotor Amperage, motor size (1/4, 1/2, 1+ horse power). Be cognizant that manufacturers will generally list the wattage that is continuous and rarely starting/surge wattage. This is important because some devices can surge 3-7 times the continuous running wattage. Take into serious consideration of Need versus Want and then consider weight penalties. Once you have done that then with that information in hand and then look at whether you want modified sine wave or pure sine wave.

Thirdly, run multiple "house batteries".

Have these batteries be TRUE deep cycle batteries such as Trojan AGM batteries, Duracell Ultra AGM, etc. If space is a concern run 2-4 6v agm batteries wired in series parallel to achieve 12v. The house batteries should be wired to a good Isolator setup such as Painless's waterproof Isolator/Dual Battery rig such as 250 Amp Waterproof Dual Battery Current Control System. I run this rig in my JKU and it is awesome. I have personally taken it a step further and run #4/0 AWG cables (it sounds like over kill but think of cabling as water through a garden hose) to two more deep cycle batteries in my cargo area.

Inverters can be incredibly helpful if planned for, installed cooreclt, and utilized effectively

Back
Top Bottom