HAM certification

Scott

Adventurist
So, I didn't really know where else to put this, so I put it here. I have decided that it's time get my Technician's license and become a HAM. My main reason for this is being able to join in on the Outdoor Adventure USA talks, and to have more options for communication when I'm out in the field/camping. My question is, if you have taken the test, did you find it easier to self study, then take the test, or was it better for you to take a class with other people and then take the test? If you self-studied, does anyone have any recommendations on what study guides to use? Any tips or pointers for the test?

Mods, if you have a better place to put this, please do so! :)

Thanks for any and all help you can give me.
Scott

The test is very easy to pass. Find an online test practice site such as

http://www.eham.net/exams/

and take the test until you learn the answers...

However, if you want to actually learn something instead of parroting back the answers then a class or a good study guide book is essential.

I tried reading the book, but it worked like a sedative faster than any pill or drug I've ever seen.

So I went to the online practice tests, and repeated them until I averaged 90%, then I went and took the test the next day, and passed at almost 80%.

Thanks guys. I am thinking about buying a manual, to read at my leisure, as I like to learn about stuff, but I would really like to just get my license... I'm thinking I'll probably just find a place to take practice tests until I'm comfortable with it, then go take the test.

I certainly encourage you to learn as much as you'd like to, but to pass the test, knowing the book isn't entirely necessary. :D

I've done it both ways. You probably know which works best for you. But for practical hands-on info it's hard to beat having experienced people who can answer questions and provide real-world advice. And I really recommend going beyond rote memorization and really trying to learn the fundamentals.

Back in the 90s, my wife and I earned our tech licenses via a weekend class hosted by the Stanford radio club.

Later when I upgraded to General and then Extra, I studied on my own using the Gordon West books and CDs. These were great because you not only get the answers, but a quick description of *why* it is correct. It also includes helpful study tips. I ripped the CDs to mp3 so I could study in my Jeep while commuting, on my iPhone, and at home at my computer.

I think I bought my books and CDs used to save $.

Good luck!

I got the question bank for the test, and worked about 600 questions until I had the format, formulas, and approach figured out. Then I went and took the test.

For me, becoming familiar with how questions are worded is very important, because I've always been far stronger with math than the written word.

Hey Scott,
I have used several apps on Andriod to study for the exam. The one called 'Ham Test Prep' with the ARRL logo works well. There is also a PDF guide put out by N8KBR that was current up until 2010. If you would like to buy a guide one is available from ARRL at the following link.

http://www.arrl.org/ham-radio-license-manual

This is an encouraging thread for me. I've been threatening to get my Ham Radio license for years now and the selection of books and guides are more of a source of annoyance to dust around according to the live-in maid. And she wonders why she doesn't get a raise...

Keep up the chatter.

I've been reading up on other places about the Baofeng UV5R combo package found at the above amazon link, and everything I have read is very positive, and I think it would be a great "starter" radio, to get into HAM radio operation. There's a guy on another forum making 14 gauge steel mounts for these as well, so they can be mounted inside a vehicle.

Scott

Attachments

• baofeng-uv5r.jpg
    baofeng-uv5r.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Yes, it's a handheld. Tons of positive reviews on it, and for roughly $40, I don't see how I could go wrong, until I can afford to go with something nicer.

Yes, it's a handheld. Tons of positive reviews on it, and for roughly $40, I don't see how I could go wrong, until I can afford to go with something nicer.

But i's so HUGE in the picture! Come on... work with me, here...

Mitch, I fixed it.. I usually don't hotlink images, but did for this one.. Now I know why I don't do that very often!

Everyone is different in learning. I went through the local ham club in Ramona, Ca. (where I lived at the time). I think they did a 8 week class, and the last week was the test. I learned more then I cam remember now as that was 17+ years ago. I liked the classes for myself.

The Gordon West books are great for the reasons stated above. I learned well from the explanations. I read the questions and answers carefully the first time through, then read the Q's like I was taking the test on the second time through. If I got it right, I moved on. If I got it wrong, I reread the explanation until I had them down. I was doing that right up to my test date. Got 100%. The radio is a great deal, as far as I have heard, and seems to work well, but is hard to program. Should be good to get you started.

I've been reading up on other places about the Baofeng UV5R combo package found at the above amazon link, and everything I have read is very positive, and I think it would be a great "starter" radio, to get into HAM radio operation. There's a guy on another forum making 14 gauge steel mounts for these as well, so they can be mounted inside a vehicle.

Scott

I just bought 2 of them for some experimenting. The programming from the radio itself is a bit odd but not that bad. All in all, pretty impressed with them I will probably get another one or two down the road

Back
Top Bottom