Group 31 battery tray quest

Brett C

Adventurist
Senior Staff
I need some help, who makes a quality under the hood battery tray for a group 31 for 2nd and 3rd gen Tacoma’s as well as 5th gen 4Runners?

The only issue I see with yours Mitch is there is no battery tray. Just the top clamp to hold it down. I need a tray also.

Is this for a stock location upgrade? Because a tray is not needed. The factory “tray itself is a piece of plastic that does very little to secure the battery. This is partly why my bracket is 4 inches wide, to hold the battery from twisting as much, but it can be cranked down to the point there is no pivoting to sliding

Is this for a stock location upgrade? Because a tray is not needed. The factory “tray itself is a piece of plastic that does very little to secure the battery. This is partly why my bracket is 4 inches wide, to hold the battery from twisting as much, but it can be cranked down to the point there is no pivoting to sliding
No it’s not for the stock location.

IMHO, a larger battery, and especially dual batteries, need a reinforced tray. Pelfrey was making one before they went out of business. But I don’t know of another source for an upgraded, reinforced tray for bigger, heavier batteries.

Your hold down is bomb proof. But that factory sheet metal the battery sits on becomes the weak link.

You’ve seen the one I made. Some scrap angle and a welder are all that’s needed. I’m sure you can find someone who can build it for you in a few hours.

You’ve seen the one I made. Some scrap angle and a welder are all that’s needed. I’m sure you can find someone who can build it for you in a few hours.
I need a product I can easily purchase and use for customer builds at the shop.

IMHO, a larger battery, and especially dual batteries, need a reinforced tray. Pelfrey was making one before they went out of business. But I don’t know of another source for an upgraded, reinforced tray for bigger, heavier batteries.

Your hold down is bomb proof. But that factory sheet metal the battery sits on becomes the weak link.
A tray does nothing to "reinforce" the factory platform/fender connection, nor does a bracket. Lawndartdesign took his 5th Gen 4Runner through Mexico following Raptors at speeds he should not have, and even though he had a Pelfreybilt tray securely installed (by me at Goose Gear), he managed to rip the factory battery platform from the fender. The Pelfreybilt box remained in perfect condition, as did Toyota's platform that tore itself loose from the fender, it remained attached to the Pelfreybilt box. The spot welds failed.

Nothing you buy, anywhere, for any price, is going to change that the weak point is the factory fender.

Brett, here's your solution; https://www.ragofabrication.com/col...nting-solutions/products/group-31-battery-box

Rago's is essentially a Pelfreybilt box, minus the sturdy connection to the fender. Pelfrey utilized 3/8" J Hooks that attach the tray to the platform, the Rago requires you to use the factory J Hooks through the center screw for the cover. Or you could do as Greg did and drill holes in the platform and attach the box to it. It still does exactly nothing to reinforce the connection to the fender. It's less of a design compared to the Pelfreybilt, but costs $50 more than what Pelfreybilt sold it for!

At least mine comes with replacement J-hooks rated at 60,000 tensile strength, PSI.

Just saw Brett's reply that this isn't for the factory location, which is what mine, and the rago that I linked are intended to replace.

I've never really found a decent auxiliary platform designed for turnkey.

Back
Top Bottom