Got a van and questions

goin camping

Adventurist
Picked up a Chevy Express 1500 AWD van.

Converting it to a weekender camper van. Mostly it will be out on dirt roads and hardpack out in the Mojave.

It will also do one long trip a year on the freeway. Don't really want big knobbies

Please give your opinion on a good All Terrain tire?

Last edited:
BFG All Terrains are a good choice. I believe the new model is coming out shortly as well. On my last van I ran the Nitto Terragrapler All Terrains and they were decent as well. I haven’t had any issues with either on the highway or off road.

Depending on what type of load you are carrying I would consider load range E tires.
Eric

2FCFB6E4-5307-4A73-A3EC-8551B2E1B17A.jpeg
We run the BFGoodrich AT E rated on a 9k pound bread box and they’ve been great. I have put them through quite a bit, sidewalls are holding up well to the abuse, minimal road noise, barely any chipping compared to the first version of the all-terrain‘s.

The age old question. Pick based on price, tire size and your load range.

A great bunch of options out there for your terrain use:

Falken WildPeak AT3/W
BFG KO2's
Cooper ST MAXX
General Grabber AT
Toyo Open Country AT

Thanks Gents and keep the suggestions coming. I'm over here researching all the suggestions.

Much appreciated.

I'm a touch biased as I work on a BFG Pit at the Baja 500/1000. I'm a believer in the BFG KO2's. I've been running them (315/70/16 Load Range E) on my truck for years with good luck. My truck is no light weight, '06 Dmax with a slide in pop up camper in the bed full time.

I currently have Nitto AT's on my '05 Jeep Wrangler (same size as the BFG's on the truck), not enough miles on them to have a real opinion, but I will say they haven't let me down either. Admittedly a totally different class of vehicle.

What ever brand you decide on, I'd stick with an all terrain type tread pattern. Let's face it, unless you're putting tires on a rock crawler trailer queen the majority of your travels will be on the pavement. For the southwest US environment I think that an all terrain pattern has enough pro's to over come the one time that you get stuck in the mud every decade or so. Reduced NOISE, slightly batter fuel economy, reduced NOISE, better ride quality, etc. This from a guy that is a firm believer in Interco TSL bias ply's on my rock crawler...you want highway NOISE?

I’m a Duratrac fan boy myself. Any tire is a compromise, and they are less of one to me than some others. They wear great, perform great, and are a true snow rated tire also.

Back
Top Bottom