GoPro Hero5 Black

100acre

Adventurist
My mom had given me an LL Bean gift card for Christmas and since I'm good on clothing, I opted to order the new Go Pro camera. I had purchased a Hero4 Silver a couple of years ago and ended up trading it for a Triple Aught backpack and some gear. I've been wanting another since I've been more active in metal detecting, snorkeling for relics and exploring. Has anyone here had any experience with the Hero5 Black and it is that much better than the other options? Thoughts please...

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/117636?feat=go pro-SR0&page=gopro-hero5-black-edition-camera

I've been really happy with both of the Hero 5 Cameras. I use the session on my mini-quads and when weight is an issue. The H5B is awesome, and I'm continually impressed by the improvements over the H4B. The replaceable lens and touch screen are clutch. Mic performance is considerably improved, as is the dynamic range with pro tune. The only bummer is that you have to use official gopro batteries...

I know that the Garmin Virb is also a good option too, but I've never used one so I can't speak to how it stacks up.

I'd say go for it!

I've heard lots of folks complaining about the new Capture software but I haven't tried it yet.

I'd bet Wasabi will come out with a higher mAh soon if they haven't already. I still keep my GoPro batteries as spares but use Wasabis most of the time.

<--- Still using a Hero 2 but I'm looking for a clean used 4 Silver.

Last edited:
@Robert I'm hoping that Wasabi does too. Used their batteries in all of my previous Heros. Sounds like the encoding is pretty robust, so I'm not holding my breath on Wasabi batteries for the Hero5.

I've heard lots of folks complaining about the new Capture software but I haven't tried it yet.

I have a Hero4. The biggest problem I have right now isn't the camera. It's the Capture software that you can use to remotely control the camera. If you log out you have to have an internet connection to log back in to the app before you can control the camera remotely. Period. No way around it. So if you turn your device off to save power in a remote area forget it. You're not controlling the camera remotely from your device [until you can connect to the internet again].

I've been eyeballing Garmin's VIRB Ultra 30 because it has a lot of cool features that tie into their GPS devices.

4K/30fps; 2.7K/60fps; 1080p/120fps; 720p/240fps and 480p/300fps
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/522869

Last edited:
The freaking Capture software is just ridiculous. I'm probably just going to ebay my Hero 3 Black because I never used it nearly as much as I thought I would.

And GoPro wonders why their stock sucks and their market share continues to slide to less expensive cameras? Everyone involved with Capture should be fired long with anyone who didn't speak up and say "this is the dumbest idea we've ever had". The camera is amazing in what it can do, but their software engineers are retarded.

I have 2 Hero5's. Love them. Having a screen you can navigate for me is huge. Plus there's voice commands and single touch on/off that works great for capturing video quickly. Batteries are fairly cheap and last about an hour shooting video. Highly recommend the GoPro Hero 5 for your arsenal. Happy shooting!

The discontinued and heavily discounted Garmin VIRB Elite is pretty good bang for the buck. Built in GPS, accelerometer and barometric altimeter. The ability to feed in audio from an external source. Already waterproof so no external case is needed. Though if you feed in external audio a cover must be open so it's no longer waterproof. Large slider on the side to activate. Battery life is about 3 hours.

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-...693qzVdg8RhAtRkdwYWZ-x300KScotY89QaApNk8P8HAQ

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom