Google Maps as trip planning tool

I use Google maps to designate a route, and mark waypoints. Then I export it and load it into Gaia GPS for when I'm out riding.

Google maps is a very good source for basic route planning. I use it all the time, whether it be regular maps or even satellite to "explore" the terrain while planning from the comforts of my home.

But like everything else, having paper maps/compass trumps everything else.

I used Google Earth to plot waypoints that I then brought into Garmin Basecamp and uploaded to my GPS. Trip was roughly 300 miles from Big Bear Lake, CA to Las Vegas, NV.
With Google Earth often I could visualize roads that looked like they would dead-end on the map I had imported into Basecamp. Being able to see satellite images (even if 2D) was helpful for the terrain and existing roads/ paths.

Also invaluable was/ is Google's partnership with Panaramio (which I believe has ended even though the images are still available) which let me see user uploaded images. That way if thy images were geo-tagged correctly I was able to add things to the trip that we would want to stop and see. For example we found a lava tube that I had seen an image of that was about a mile hike out from Pisgah Crater. Was a really helpful way to plan a trip.

Back
Top Bottom