Getting back on 2 (motorized) wheels

It has been over 30 years since I last rode a motorcycle. I now have the Time, Money and Approval. H-D has a program for Military/Vets at a reduced price.

I’ve been looking at Harley’s. The quality and innovation is so much better than the last time I paid any attention to H-D.

What model are you looking at?

Thought about a Sportster, but I enjoy getting off the tarmac.

BMW F800 GS. Need to go sit on one to make sure my legs are not too short. Honda Africa Twin, but seems to have some fork issues right now.

I should say reduced price for MSF course.

I have nothing against HD's, just no off-tarmac models. Of course I my wife ever feels that her back is good enough to be a passenger, a Road glide Ultra would be on the short list.

There is a BMW training center near by, privately owned, that has several used, well maintained, fully optioned, some still under factory warranty bikes for sale.

The plus side of buying one of those instead of a brand new bike is that they probably have already been dropped. The reaction will be "Meh".

I also have to add that a 1200 GS is a lot more comfortable to ride long distances than the 800.

Thought about a Sportster, but I enjoy getting off the tarmac.

BMW F800 GS. Need to go sit on one to make sure my legs are not too short. Honda Africa Twin, but seems to have some fork issues right now.

I should say reduced price for MSF course.

I have nothing against HD's, just no off-tarmac models. Of course I my wife ever feels that her back is good enough to be a passenger, a Road glide Ultra would be on the short list.

I have had both Harley Sportsters and dual sports. The Harleys have low seat and are generally easy to ride, but mostly have a feet forward stance that is more difficult for new riders and old riders (read: me). The feet forward position sucks for anything off pavement. Today's dual sports are awesome but mostly very high. There are lowering kits available for most.

I realize its not really correct in comparison the offerings today, but the sportsters have always been called "dirt bikes" by the big twin lovers. The sportsters were the dirt track bikes way back in their beginning, to the point of having the shifter on the right side in early years so one could shift in corners with the left foot down in a dirt track power slide on corners.

I havent really looked at the sportsters much in years, they used to have mid position footpegs. They may have moved them more forward like the road bikes. I used to stand on the rear edge of my old half-moon footboards on rough stuff with my 47, but it wasnt something youd do for long like looking at the road or trail ahead for any distance or lots of rough stuff. Edit: Just looked at the factory web site, it looks like they have models with mid and forward peg locations on sportsters.

They do generally have more clearance than the big twins, if a bit heavier than the common dual sport or whatever the term is today, and if I were considering a bike that Id feel OK with on dirt roads and moderate rough stuff, Id consider one. Just some thoughts. It doesnt take the most specialized or modern thing to achieve a goal. Sort of like using revolvers and lever or bolt action rifles in the age of self loaders. Or using a 1911 in the age of plastic guns.

Last edited:
I have a nice 1994 BMW RS1100 that I would like to sell or trade for a dual purpose bike. $3500. I know it's not a dirt bike but I have had in on some dirt roads no problems. This is the first bike I have had in 20 years! I've had it for about a year now. I just don't need a touring bike at this time.
20170330_170725.jpg

The KLR is the do anything go anywhere Swiss army knife of adventure motorcycles. Not the best at any one thing but very good at many many things. An excellent choice.

Back
Top Bottom