GEORGIA

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Crowd Sourced! Share information and ask specific questions about this state here.

This section is focused on documenting the following:
  • Adventure Opportunities & Destinations
  • Trails
  • Campsites
  • Watercraft Put-Ins/Take-Outs
  • Local Info, Highlights & Lore
  • Local Regulations & Local Insight

IMG_0280.JPG

I'm new to Atlanta. Any Off Road Jeeping activity going on in the Atlanta area?

@Gallowbraid will be one of your best sources of information on this forum for the Atlanta area.

Thanks for the pressure @bob91yj . :D

If you're looking for Jeep specific activities you should look up Georgia Jeepers. An overall good group of folks even if they don't always practice Tread Lightly. There are also a couple of Facebook groups (Alabama overland, NE Georgia Overland And Tennessee Overland) that run regular group rides.

If you're looking for a full weekend run that's a good time check out http://www.georgiaoverland.com for a route that crosses the northern part of the state from east to west (or west to east if you want). It highlights some of the favorite off road tracks in the northern part of the state including Charlie's Creek Road, Trey Mountain and the Warwoman area outside Clayton.

With most of the action being in the northern part of the state there's still some fun to be had down south, just not in Atlanta. Check out Durham Town in Union Point south east of Atlanta. It's a pay to play off road park with miles of trails and lots of events. Plenty of dirt as you head south of Newnan and down toward Florida, but it's mostly just maintained county dirt roads. Still fun though, plenty of small town squares and history down that way.

You said you're new to Atlanta, what brought you this way?

I've got three days next week and then free as a bird until August. I'm doing the Memorial Day Ride with the Peach State Overland guys, so we'll see how that goes. I want to see your new whip, but end of the year has had me swamped.

I took two of my kids tent camping at Amicalola falls this week. Tent sites were amazing and we had the place pretty much all to ourselves. The scenery was awesome and were able to see some wildlife. We went off the beaten path and drove the extra back road miles to the High Shoals Baptist Church. I wish Old Blue was 4x4 because there were a couple of roads I wanted to explore.

DSC_0103.JPG

First of all, if you've never seen the gorge, it is stunning in its own right. Several times a year they have "aesthetic" water releases from the Tallulah Falls Lake through the Tallulah Gorge SP when they increase the water flow from the dam from 35-40 cubic feet per second to 200 cfs.

Five weekends a year - twice in April, and three times in November - water is released for whitewater kayakers. During these releases they increase the flow from the normal 35-40 cfs to 500-700 cfs. The results are incredibly impressive. We got up early this morning to watch the water being released. Unfortunately, we missed the kayakers by 30 minutes. We may go back next weekend to watch these whitewater cowboys try to drown themselves.

Bonus, I can be here have a mile hike, and back home before the coffee pot turns off.

FXT11734.JPG
FXT11718.JPG

Back
Top Bottom