Gear Review: Slumberjack Roadhouse Tarp

armyRN

Adventurist
I've known about these Roadhouse Tarps for a while (seen them advertised), and then actually saw one for real at the NW Overland Rally this year (2019). Guy that had it said good things about it, it looked nice up-close, so I ordered one, and stuck it in my trailer. Never took it out of the carrying bag. Lots of places to get these Roadhouse Tarps - here's one example. They also have them in a cammo print.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...n=CI&msclkid=1be92d8bac5f18239a7d70678a7d980b

On a recent trip up to Canada, I was stuck in Ft Nelson for a few days (long story)... in August... and it was predicted to rain and snow that night and the next few days. So I got set-up, and decided to try out the Roadhouse Tarp since I was going to be there for a few days. Like I said; I hadn't even pulled it out of the carrying bag, never practiced setting it up... nothing. And I'm trying to beat the rain (already sprinkling by this time) and snow that night. And it did snow that night.

Once I figured out what end attached to the Jeep, it was pretty easy from there. Now my set-up might not look pretty (I was tired, it was cold, starting to rain, it was getting dark, it was my first time setting it up, I wasn't exactly having fun by this time, etc.) but it was totally functional. I was able to keep the back of my Jeep open and not get wet when cooking on the tailgate or doing driveline repairs. First picture is my normal set-up minus the tarp. Next two are with the tarp set-up in Ft Nelson.

PRO: Plenty of set-up options, plenty big. Heavy duty stakes. Nice design for attaching to the back of your vehicle. Plenty of attachment points on the tarp for tie-downs.

CON: When all packaged up in the carrying bag (plenty of room in the bag for everything) it is a little bit heavy. Heavier than you would think (it is the steel poles - 12.4 pounds total weight). The tarp isn't a perfect rectangle (by design), so it is a little difficult getting folded back up if you're a little OCD about it being perfect. Would have been quicker setting up with an additional person helping. Brown isn't my favorite color.

This Roadhouse Tarp now has a permanent place in my trailer. If I were going camping where I couldn't take the trailer, I would bring it; possibly just set a cot and sleeping bag underneath the tarp. And if it was raining I would be dry while cooking on the Jeep's tailgate under the tarp. I like to stay dry.

Or maybe consider this instead if I couldn't bring the trailer (similar concept):

https://slumberjack.com/slumber-shack-4-person-tent/

Arctic trip.2.jpg
Arctic trip.4.jpg
Arctic Trip.5.jpg

Last edited:
It's a good piece gear. Not being vehicle mounted is less convenient to deploy but increases flexibility for multiple vehicles or uses. I have used mine:

Attached to an 80 in camp for a kitchen area on a rainy morning.

As a standalone group shelter on same trip away from the vehicles.

Standalone over a state park picnic table while in the Sequoia family hauler to weather a popup shower

Attached to the 80 with poles in the mid and end staked to the ground to make a room on a windy/rainy mountain camp site.

Standalone camp shelter at Appalachian Rendezvous

Back
Top Bottom