Gear Review: LT Wright Knives Pro Tac

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Review: L.T. Wright Knives Pro Tac
I like knives. All kinds of knives. I have knives in every vehicle and a variety of EDC favorites some of which have traveled the globe with me. Of all my knives, the only fixed blade "sheath knife" I owned until recently was a Ka-Bar. As good as the Ka-Bar is it's just too large for general camp duty and more of a "combat knife" in my humble opinion. At our Appalachian Rendezvous in North Carolina I spied something more modern with even more utility built in that impressed me enough to learn more about it and it's maker.

image.jpeg

What I really needed in a fixed blade knife was something that could serve general duty around the house or in camp as well as being robust enough to serve as an EDC knife while deployed overseas. I needed one knife to do it all, and it had to be hand made in USA.

Enter the compact, but deceptively capable, Pro Tac from L.T. Wright Knives.

image.jpeg

They say that to make a good working knife, you need to start with a piece of good steel. To that end, the Pro Tac is made of D-2 tool steel. Why D-2 tool steel you say? Without going into too much metallurgy, D-2 is a high carbon, high chromium content steel and while not classified as a stainless steel it is considered a semi-stainless. The primary use of this steel is for making stamping dies that cut steel pieces out of other softer steels. As such, it has outstanding wear resistance. It is far more rust resistant than 1095, O1 or other carbon steels, however, salt water or high acid foods can rust and pit it if not cared for. Some say that this type of steel is hit or miss when it comes to knife making, but in my opinion it's the consistency and uniformity of heat treatment that is the primary factor and the way the blade edge is finished. For my purposes I prefer a harder steel as they hold an edge longer, and this knife came razor sharp!

With a saber grind blade measuring 4 inches long and 3/20th of an inch thick and an overall length of 8 and 2/3 inches, it's just the right size to be an honest survival knife. The saber grind features a flat primary edge bevel that continues along to the edge. At the edge, the secondary bevel forms the final sharpened cutting edge of the knife. This type of grind is very strong and designed to give maximum edge strength at the sacrifice of some cutting ability. The thicker overall edge profile means that push cutting and slicing through larger objects will create more drag. The original Ka-Bar is a classical example of a saber ground blade.

image.jpeg

Weighing in at a mere 6.9 ounces, it's modest size and weight belie the Pro Tac's true usefulness as a hard working tool in any environment. Check out that perfect clipped point!

image.jpeg

The first thing that I noticed about the Pro Tac was the hybrid leather/kydex sheath and the outstanding craftsmanship of the micarta handle. It's a work of art just waiting to be drawn and used for work. The optional firesteel in the form of a 3/8 inch ferrocerium rod with matching hand made micarta handle adds utility to this compact package - a tough tool steel blade and the ability to make fire top my list in any camping, hunting or survival gear list. That signature Pout House stamped on the blade says this knife is the real deal.

image.jpeg

Examining the knife closely reveals immaculate workmanship. Each knife is hand made in Ohio by L.T. Wright craftsmen and their pride is evident in every detail from the ground micarta Mountain Handle Grip to the spine jimping to the finely crafted tip of the saber ground blade.

image.jpeg

The bottom line?
L.T Wright Knives, based in Wintersville, Ohio is a family business with a hard working group of skilled artisans whose passion for the outdoors is legendary. With the flood of robot stamped knives on the market today from erstwhile American brands, the Pro Tac is a sure way to augment your collection with a no nonsense blade featuring a sleek and comfortable construction that's made for hard use. Made in small runs and priced around $300 as reviewed with leather/kydex hybrid sheath and matching firesteel, the Pro Tac is a serious tool for the most discerning knife enthusiast and an heirloom level knife that can be passed from generation to generation. Contact L.T. Wright Knives for more info!

I like the clipped point profile of the blade, it's the most versatile in my opinion for a chore knife. I'm a fan of natural handle materials, wood scales and antler, but that looks like a good grip. On the other hand I dislike large sheaths like the one shown. Experience has shown them to be problematic when busting through the forest brush that dominates the terrain we usually find ourselves in.

Nice looking knife...should serve you well.

I feel so inadequate now... if they're interested in doing a lanyard for the knife with a nifty Spartan helmet, let me know.

LT knife.jpg

Nice review! I stumbled across "Fat Guys in the Woods" on the weather channel the other day and was instantly intrigued by the knife they give away on each episode: The Blackbirds SK5 with a Hedgehog Leatherworks Sheath. This of course stirred up my knife addiction again. Now Dave, you go and review another awesome blade and I'm afraid I might fall off the wagon and buy another knife. I'd been clean for so long too.

Next thing you know you'll be reviewing a flashlight and I'll have to buy more of those too....

Nice review! I stumbled across "Fat Guys in the Woods" on the weather channel the other day and was instantly intrigued by the knife they give away on each episode: The Blackbirds SK5 with a Hedgehog Leatherworks Sheath. This of course stirred up my knife addiction again. Now Dave, you go and review another awesome blade and I'm afraid I might fall off the wagon and buy another knife. I'd been clean for so long too.

Next thing you know you'll be reviewing a flashlight and I'll have to buy more of those too....

You NEED one of these too :stir

I picked up one of their Overland Machete at OVX this year. It's a great tool, very well made.

Back
Top Bottom