Four Wheeler Magazine's "Overland Adventure"

It seems everything off-road today is "overlanding"... :(

Hopefully, this fad will die out (like most do) and the rest of us can get back to car camping like we have been...

I've pissed off a few people with the "glorified car camping" comment lately. :D The whole thing seems to have jumped the shark. Most people I've run across with built up "overlanding/expedition rigs" would be just as well served by tossing their camping gear in a couple of old milk crates in the back of the family car like we used to do. It's funny because so many people come up with all manner of reasons to justify why they "need" all the mods and gear instead of just saying, yep, I'm a dork and I like being a gear nut. What's that saying about the difference between men and boys being the price of their toys.
:mike

<------ Middle-aged, (apparently curmudgeonly) gear nut dork

Well... they lost me at "Children 12 years old and over only"... I am sure it will be a fun event for those who do it, and it will be good marketing for whoever their sponsors turn out to be...

I've pissed off a few people with the "glorified car camping" comment lately. :D The whole thing seems to have jumped the shark. Most people I've run across with built up "overlanding/expedition rigs" would be just as well served by tossing their camping gear in a couple of old milk crates in the back of the family car like we used to do. It's funny because so many people come up with all manner of reasons to justify why they "need" all the mods and gear instead of just saying, yep, I'm a dork and I like being a gear nut. What's that saying about the difference between men and boys being the price of their toys.

The real problem,of course, is that you're not going to attract any followers with #carcamping.

We camp and explore and sometime it's an adventure. While it is fun to dream about being like @Jonathan Hanson and Roseann, or Ted Simon or Simon and Lisa Thomas, we, the masses, are really just voyeurs. We generally get to consume the juicy bits and not see the trimmed fat and offal. More people seem to be getting out and doing stuff.

Finding, for lack of a better term, this Overland/Adventure community has been good for me. Most of the people I have met are more like me, generally interesting, intelligent and independent.

We generally get to consume the juicy bits and not see the trimmed fat and offal.
I prefer the juicy bits... I'll leave the fat and offal to @Jonathan Hanson. :D

1550693144584.png

It sounds like it could be a fun time for someone already planning to attend the Expo.

Unfortunately we have no interest to attend nor do we comply with their qualifications. (We're not afraid to sleep on the ground and we don't pull an anchor behind us).
".., outfitted with integrated sleeping accommodations either in or on the vehicle or in or on an off-road-capable trailer),"
We wouldn't fit well in their Instagram posts. :)

Still looks like fun though.

DSC_0312.JPG

Back
Top Bottom