Four Wheeler Magazine's "Overland Adventure"

jscusmcvet

Adventurist
Years ago I contacted four wheeler about an event for the "rest of us"... you know those guys who drive their rigs to work every day, wheel on the weekends and on family vacations... So I am taking credit (good or bad I suppose...) for their new event teamed up with Overland Expo.

https://www.motortrendgroup.com/fou...407767201&mc_cid=537b9b1476&mc_eid=0c8558ddb9

No indication of vehicle requirements or anything like that, but interesting to see happening. Now, if I could just add a locker, a few more skid plates, a lift, new tires, new bumpers and a winch... I just might get in :) If Ann happens to contact you to ask if all of that is necessary... by all means report enthusiastically... YES!

John

I saw that this morning.

There sure is a lot of marketing spluge in their announcement. I'm not sure if it would be fun or a major PITA.

I used to read Four Wheeler regularly, but over the years, the rag contained less and less useful, interesting information. Which is a real shame - I learned a lot reading it in the '80s and '90s.

It will be interesting to see who they pick - today, so many people have relabeled their hard-core wheeling as "overlanding"...

Maybe I will apply - I haven't made a plan for this year's trip yet.

I don't know that "competitive" is the word.

I think they are looking for very specific features on the vehicles they choose. Reading the form, it sounds like it will be a marketing event. :(

Interesting to see Four Wheeler jump on the overland bandwagon. One more indicator of "mainstream" status IMO.

:bandwagon

It’ll be mainly off-road travel through the Arizona backcountry by day and camping by night. The route has been carefully crafted by a professional guide, and it includes terrain for a variety of skill levels and sizes of overlanding vehicles. Group campsites will be utilized, where you’ll have a chance to enjoy the camaraderie of your fellow overlanders around the campfire after indulging in gourmet dinners prepared by a professional chef.

The Four Wheeler Overland Adventure will culminate with a festive banquet and—get this—free access to the huge 2019 Overland Expo West show, the Official Event Partner of the 2019 Four Wheeler Overland Adventure, and the premier overlanding event in the world. Also, Four Wheeler Overland Adventure participants will be invited to park their overland vehicle in Four Wheeler’s exclusive “Overland Adventure Camp” within Overland Expo West, where you can camp, show off your rig and have easy access to the event’s incredible activities, classes, and programs, which take place May 17-19 at Fort Tuthill County Park in Flagstaff, Arizona. The 2019 Four Wheeler Overland Adventure is also sponsored by BDS Suspension, Bubba Rope, Dick Cepek Tires, KC HiLites, Overland Kitchen, and Conqueror North America.

Last edited:
It's not the "in" thing to call it car camping....

And, the reality is, with 20 trucks plus Four Wheeler support staff, how rugged will it really be?

it involves overlanding...of course it will be about marketing. Overlanders love marketing...and markets...and brewpubs...and stone fired pizza joints...local craft breweries...parking/camping (it’s all the same) in muddy fields so they can view stuff people are marketing to them....dogs with tactical harnesses...burrito stands...water crossings...parking on boat ramps with their rear tires in the water...buying morale patches from folks who are marketing stuff to them...Australia, they love that place...diesels, they don’t really need a diesel but hey Australia...Skottles, at least there is food involved there...molle racks and bags to hold all the stuff that was marketed to them...retina searing off road lights...plastic dip...front leveling kits...oooh, light bars...exotic Japanese camp gear...serious off road recovery agruments...not so serious off road recovery arguments...role playing...cosplay...did I mention light bars? Yes moving on...slow, underpowered foreign trucks and vans...parking with one tire on a rock...drawer slides...fridge slides...Instagram...doing it for the ‘Gram...things with Overland in their name...arm chair quarterbacking YouTube vehicle recovery videos...pretending to be an outdoorsman...stereotypical lumberjack beards...baseball caps to cover folliclely challenged foreheads...axes, really?...black rims...networking...spending time with like minded folks...I’m getting tired of typing...this could go on for ever...who haven’t I picked on yet...

it involves overlanding...of course it will be about marketing. Overlanders love marketing...and markets...and brewpubs...and stone fired pizza joints...local craft breweries...parking/camping (it’s all the same) in muddy fields so they can view stuff people are marketing to them....dogs with tactical harnesses...burrito stands...water crossings...parking on boat ramps with their rear tires in the water...buying morale patches from folks who are marketing stuff to them...Australia, they love that place...diesels, they don’t really need a diesel but hey Australia...Skottles, at least there is food involved there...molle racks and bags to hold all the stuff that was marketed to them...retina searing off road lights...plastic dip...front leveling kits...oooh, light bars...exotic Japanese camp gear...serious off road recovery agruments...not so serious off road recovery arguments...role playing...cosplay...did I mention light bars? Yes moving on...slow, underpowered foreign trucks and vans...parking with one tire on a rock...drawer slides...fridge slides...Instagram...doing it for the ‘Gram...things with Overland in their name...arm chair quarterbacking YouTube vehicle recovery videos...pretending to be an outdoorsman...stereotypical lumberjack beards...baseball caps the cover folliclely challenged foreheads...axes, really?...black rims...networking...spending time with like minded folks...I’m getting tired of typing...this could go on for ever...who haven’t I picked on yet...

Seriously? Did there really need to be a bald joke in there. :D

it involves overlanding...of course it will be about marketing. Overlanders love marketing...and markets...and brewpubs...and stone fired pizza joints...local craft breweries...parking/camping (it’s all the same) in muddy fields so they can view stuff people are marketing to them....dogs with tactical harnesses...burrito stands...water crossings...parking on boat ramps with their rear tires in the water...buying morale patches from folks who are marketing stuff to them...Australia, they love that place...diesels, they don’t really need a diesel but hey Australia...Skottles, at least there is food involved there...molle racks and bags to hold all the stuff that was marketed to them...retina searing off road lights...plastic dip...front leveling kits...oooh, light bars...exotic Japanese camp gear...serious off road recovery agruments...not so serious off road recovery arguments...role playing...cosplay...did I mention light bars? Yes moving on...slow, underpowered foreign trucks and vans...parking with one tire on a rock...drawer slides...fridge slides...Instagram...doing it for the ‘Gram...things with Overland in their name...arm chair quarterbacking YouTube vehicle recovery videos...pretending to be an outdoorsman...stereotypical lumberjack beards...baseball caps to cover folliclely challenged foreheads...axes, really?...black rims...networking...spending time with like minded folks...I’m getting tired of typing...this could go on for ever...who haven’t I picked on yet...

Hmmm....

I guess I don't qualify, since I prefer BBQ joints and Mexican. :p

This wins the internet today.

:keyboard

I have never parked with my tire on a rock. C'mon.

[QUOTE="Haggis, post: 123409, member: 7"..who haven’t I picked on yet...[/QUOTE]
You forgot the Damn Canadians

Back
Top Bottom