Forget anything else.... Ford Ranger Raptor

smlobx

Adventurist
Ladies and Gentlemen may I introduce you to the new Ford Ranger Raptor (US version!)

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

Looking at the size of the driver, that looks every bit as big as my 1997 F150 was. But then, the current F150 is gigantic! I think my 1988 Ranger was the perfect size for a compact pickup. I'm 5'8", and could comfortably lean on the bed rails of both, like in the old Chevy commercials. Not any more!

Looking at the size of the driver, that looks every bit as big as my 1997 F150 was. But then, the current F150 is gigantic! I think my 1988 Ranger was the perfect size for a compact pickup. I'm 5'8", and could comfortably lean on the bed rails of both, like in the old Chevy commercials. Not any more!
This is the key reason we zeroed in on the first generation Toyota Tundra when I was looking for a truck... still a reasonable enough size and height for my 5'6" self to even see over the bed rails, and yet still a 1/2 ton. Does not seem to exist anymore.

I have an '07 2wd Ranger that is our beater truck. It just keeps on going but is sized to be easy to drive around town etc.
There seems to be a lot of speculation about what engines will be available...from a 2.3, 2.7 turbocharged gas engines to a 2.0 twin turbo diesel...

Also I hope they offer an extended cab long bed so those of us that actually use the bed will be able to.

I think this will be a strong competitor to the ZR2. The more competition the better for us.

I bet it's nice, glad to see the competition in this segment.

It looks like a Ford Hilux though... :stir

As a happy Toyota owner, I wish they would get on the cool/crazy truck bandwagon. I have been looking hard at Raptors lately.... They are just a bit big (and $$$).

Curious what the payload is going to be. The full size Raptor has a very low payload, I don't remember the exact number.

Hmm... at the video 30 second mark as he accelerates from executing the longest 3-point reversal ever recorded, I detected the throaty sound of a diesel engine. Am I alone in that assessment?

Keep in mind this Ford Ranger has been on the street and trail "downunda" several years now. In fact, a couple years ago, an Australian 4WD magazine article did a shoot-out with the AUS version Holden (GM) Colorado (made in Thailand), Ford Ranger (T-6, made in Thailand), and the venerable Toyota Hilux (made in... yup, Thailand). They determined the Ford was an exceptional value compared to the others...

Production for this "world" truck (hint, Toyota) commenced in the Ford Wayne, MI, plant in February 2018 and they've been building inventory for release soon. US spec is slated to have, "To develop North American specifications, Ford made several changes to the Ranger T6. To better meet US crash standards and to increase its payload, the frame rails were redesigned, becoming fully boxed. The front fascia was redesigned slightly, with Ford modifying the design to a steel, frame-mounted, front bumper separate from the bodywork. The tailgate was changed; along with the addition of a spoiler, the tailgate gained a locking capability (from the F-Series).

For the 2019 launch, the sole powertrain for North America-specification Rangers will be a 2.3L EcoBoost inline-4 paired to a 10-speed automatic; while output is not currently announced, the engine makes between 280hp (in the Ford Explorer) and 310hp (in the Ford Mustang EcoBoost).. Both two-wheel and four-wheel drive configurations are available. Although the Ranger is available as a two-door, only four-door SuperCab and SuperCrew configurations will be sold in North America; all Rangers will be sold as "HiRiders".

Following the F-150, the Ranger will be sold in base XL trim, XLT trim, with Lariat as the top-level trim. Each trim level will also have its own set of sub-model option packages, with the XL having the STX, with the XLT and Lariat having FX4 (4x4 only) and Chrome packages. Currently, neither the Wildtrak nor the Raptor are announced models in the United States or Canada".

Unfortunately, US spec models will not have the 210hp/370tq, 2.0L EcoBlue bi-turbo diesel engine; they'll get the Mazda I4, 2.3L LF turbo-boosted engine providing around 280hp/300tq.

Interesting introduction video from February 2018 in Thailand: https://paultan.org/2018/02/12/first-look-2018-ford-ranger-raptor-in-thailand/

All very intriguing components of an exciting competitor in this segment of the market... until I learned that it as full time 4WD and electronically controlled settings for the transfer case. You know... "old school" - I need at least a manual transfer-case selector and certainly no dial with hill, rock, or ice crystal icons on it. :tango

Curious what the payload is going to be. The full size Raptor has a very low payload, I don't remember the exact number.

When I ordered my F150 in 2010 this was the main reason I didn't get a Raptor. The payload was crazy low compared to a standard F150 with the max payload option.

No thanks, my 2016 F-150 2.7L eco-crap has been in the shop for almost 4 weeks now. Under 60k miles and needs a new engine due to a defect. No Furds ever!

As a happy Toyota owner, I wish they would get on the cool/crazy truck bandwagon.

Not so much for me. When I purchase a truck I want it as multifunctional as possible and to be oriented on preforming the utilitarian tasks a pick up was designed for.

Glad to see some competition to drive the midsize truck market and its offerings to better heights. Only thing I don't like is that you have to go through the front tire wheel well in order to change the oil on the new ranger. :(

Back
Top Bottom