Forge Specialties 2nd Gen Tacoma Backup Camera Relocation, DIY w/ pics

35inchoverdrive

Adventurist
We currently have a customer in the shop with a Relentless Fab rear swingout bumper. His backup camera gives a great view of the spare tire and nothing else. This is a common situation with swingouts on these trucks and we've had a couple of requests to do a writeup on relocating the camera.

The tailgate cover comes off very easily with a T30 torx bit.

upload_2015-10-16_13-51-44.jpeg

Remove all of the torx fasteners from the tailgate panel.

upload_2015-10-16_13-52-26.jpeg

After you remove all the torx fasteners, there are two tabs on the underside of the tailgate panel, at the base of the tailgate:

(the panel is upside down in this picture for the purpose of illustration)
upload_2015-10-16_13-55-27.jpeg

Pull straight up on the panel at the base of the tailgate to pop these loose and slide out the tailgate panel from underneath the cap on the top of the tailgate. The cap on the tailgate does not need to be removed.

upload_2015-10-16_13-57-15.jpeg

This is what the camera looks like from the backside, once the tailgate panel is removed.

upload_2015-10-16_13-58-49.jpeg

The camera mounting bracket comes out with just two 10mm bolts.

upload_2015-10-16_14-3-19.jpeg

There is a generous amount of loomed wiring harness running through the tailgate, for the backup camera.

upload_2015-10-16_14-4-33.jpeg

Simply cut the tape holding the loom in place.

upload_2015-10-16_14-12-24.jpeg

There are two grommets, one at the base of the tailgate where the loom exits, and another where the loom enters the body of the truck. They pop out by depressing the two tabs(right) and then split for removal from the loom with a clip(left).
upload_2015-10-16_14-18-23.jpeg

There are also two clips holding the loom at the base of the tailgate. Pinch the base from inside the tailgate to release these.

upload_2015-10-16_14-19-33.jpeg

...and a closeup of the clips...

upload_2015-10-16_14-19-59.jpeg

Disconnect the plug from the camera and fish the loom out of the tailgate and through the hole in the base of the bed. The camera wiring harness connects to this plug underneath the bed.

upload_2015-10-16_14-31-51.jpeg

In the stock position, this connector points the harness towards the center of the truck, but you can gain a little extra reach by popping the retaining clip loose and turning the connector around to face the harness towards the passenger side of the rig.

upload_2015-10-16_14-33-23.jpeg

The camera bracket itself is versatile enough that you could mount it to a number of different swingouts or bumpers with one or two bolts or possibly even zip ties. Relocating the camera is VERY diy friendly and the only tools you need are a 10mm wrench/socket and a T30 torx bit. The next few posts will catalog how we mounted it to the Relentless Fab swingout.

Last edited:
This picture gives you an idea of how much wiring you have to work with without doing any splicing or extensions.
upload_2015-10-16_15-11-21.jpeg

Here's the part number for the harness(in case someone wanted to order another harness for whatever reason, to vary their installation/relocation of the camera). Current Toyota list price is $42.29.

upload_2015-10-16_15-14-56.jpeg

One of the biggest pluses of removing the backup camera harness from the tailgate is that it makes tailgate removal(for quick loading/unloading etc) much easier.

*********Everything from this point forward, is an example of how we mounted the camera on this particular bumper. You could do a much more DIY-friendly install, using the stock camera bracket and bolts, screws or zip ties.*********

The camera separates from the bracket with two small phillips screws. The other two holes are for alignment pins.

upload_2015-10-16_15-32-59.jpeg

We made a bracket out of sheet metal with 1/8" backing plate to mount the camera. Here is everything tacked together:

upload_2015-10-16_15-35-50.jpeg

The backing plate was tapped for M6 hardware.

...finish welding everything.

upload_2015-10-16_15-36-36.jpeg

This particular truck already had wiring going to a @TangoBlue style camp light on the swingout, so we'll be attaching the camera wiring harness to the other loom. The "R" cut into each wing of the Relentless Fab bumpers, makes for an acceptable through hole for the wiring.

upload_2015-10-16_15-45-46.jpeg

upload_2015-10-16_15-45-57.jpeg

Last edited:
I have an F250 that gets a 4wheel camper this coming weekend so my tailgate has to go. This is not an exact of what I will need to do but a great start! I want the camera and with these ideas I may get to keep mine. THANKS!!!

Very much appreciate the time and effort that went into this write up. This is the sort of information that drives fellow enthusiasts to the site and is a huge part of any online community.

Great write up you guys thanks. I am still blown away there wasn't one prior! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is excellent! Been combing the internet for ideas. Mainline tied me into an option for a new camera and I'm liking the looks of this more and more. I'd like to just cut a small hole in my bumper and mount it in there. Is the backside of the camera sealed fairly well from the elements?

The Tacoma in this install hasn't experienced any moisture or weather-related issues with the camera in its current position. It seems to be holding up just fine. We currently have it at the shop for another round of upgrades.

The Tacoma in this install hasn't experienced any moisture or weather-related issues with the camera in its current position. It seems to be holding up just fine. We currently have it at the shop for another round of upgrades.

Awesome, I'm sub'd, this is the best option I've seen yet. Its a small part and could be quite successful on TacomaWorld or distributed through some of these bumper builders. The only other options I've seen yet is something from Slee? for Land Cruisers and Mainline just turned me on to Camera Source.

That's how mine is attached. The camera fits it perfect. My camera has been submitted to rain and zero issues so far. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom