Ford to release a smaller than Ranger truck

Gallowbraid

Adventurist
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/22/ford-compact-pickup-truck-below-ranger/

Ford confirmed a compact pickup, smaller than the Ranger, is currently in the works. Automotive News reports from an auto industry conference in Detroit today that Jim Farley, Ford president of global markets, broke the news.

Farley said Ford is "investing in more affordable versions of our truck business," and "you can expect new nameplates below where we compete today."

Below today means something smaller and cheaper than the new Ranger. This statement lends credence to a previous report we published last year about Ford considering a small, unibody pickup. That report said we should expect Ford to launch a compact pickup by 2022 for the U.S. market. Until 2013, Ford sold the Courier pickup to international markets, but that truck was Fiesta-based.

1548216891939.png

I would really just like a 4-Door Jimny.

A Transit pickup at best... just my prediction.

I doubt it will be anything with 4LO

We can hope...the Falcon UTE came with 4lo if I remember correctly. The UTE was a truck version ie Ford's El Camino.
1548285925192.png

^Exactly. Not every vehicle has to be a big price tag, off road capable hipster machine.

^Exactly. Not every vehicle has to be a big price tag, off road capable hipster machine.

Having just turned in a brand new TRD Off Road 4Runner I had as a rental I can say it falls in this category. Easily one of the most uncomfortable vehicles I've ever driven. Horrible ergonomics, the fuel efficiency of my Sequoia with none of the room or power. Wandered all over the road and had totally unresponsive steering. Not at all worth what Toyota asks for it. Until the demand goes away we'll continue to stray further and further from simple vehicles that make sense. As addicted to vehicles as I am I don't see myself buying new ever again. Although the 2019 Camaro SS is amazing...

Having just turned in a brand new TRD Off Road 4Runner I had as a rental I can say it falls in this category. Easily one of the most uncomfortable vehicles I've ever driven. Horrible ergonomics, the fuel efficiency of my Sequoia with none of the room or power. Wandered all over the road and had totally unresponsive steering. Not at all worth what Toyota asks for it. Until the demand goes away we'll continue to stray further and further from simple vehicles that make sense. As addicted to vehicles as I am I don't see myself buying new ever again. Although the 2019 Camaro SS is amazing...

Well firstly, the 4runner is evidently worth what Toyota asks for it, since plenty of people are willing to pay that price.

Secondly, how many trucks have you driven? The 4runner is built on a truck platform; as such, it will have a lot of the same characteristics as most other trucks.

Comfort and ergonomics are subjective. Personally, I find Toyota's ergonomics simple and logical. And while the 4runner doesn't have Range Rover levels of comfort, it certainly is a lot more comfortable than some of the other body-on-frame offerings.

Holden HSV Maloo.

Saw a few in Australia. Got a ride in an older model. Drove just like a sedan. Asked about gas consumption and it's about the same as a regular sedan of it's size.
maloor8lsa-exterior-lg.jpg

Saw a few like this with a flatbed on the back.
415296.jpg

Not sure the Australian styling will fly in the US of A. We are used to more truck shaped trucks.

Despite the above. Damn good idea and I hope they sell well.

Someone did some Crosstrek UTE renderings reminiscent of the Subaru Brat. I think I could maybe go for something like this.

subaru-xv-ute-2013-3d-model-low-poly-skp-pdf (1).jpg

subaru-xv-ute-2013-3d-model-low-poly-skp-pdf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom