For those with Oztents, I have a question

Bodhisattva05X

Adventurist
This past Christmas, I was extremely fortunate to win a Oztent RV-4 package from Oztent USA. I received an RV-4, Deluxe Peaked Side Panels, Front Panel, Floor Saver, and Rain Fly.

For those of you that have Oztents and have any of these accessories, do you keep all these items in their respective bags or is it possible to fit at least a few of these in the bag with the tent?

Disclaimer: Please dont take this post as an opportunity to brag, it is not at all my style. I still am trying to figure out how I won.

Congrats on the tent, I love mine. I keep all the accessories in the bags they came in.......not a lot of room to jam stuff in with the tent. Plus the thing costs enough as it is and I don't want to screw anything up trying to force extras in with the tent.

Congratulations on your purchase - clearly you were very fortunate this year. I own an RV3 and the same accessories. After four years with it I'm quite satisfied; I also have the Bunker tent made by their sister company Jet Tent that I enjoy for short duration, on-the-move trips. For full disclosure, my adult daughter has a Malamoo and is very happy with that purchase.

I store the tent with fly attached in the main tent bag. There really is no room for anything else and it's just too much of a struggle to fit more things in there, e.g., poles. The accessory poles go in the remaining largest long bag. I finally said "screw it," as I was making myself miserably by carefully folding and overlapping the panels to roll and store them in another one of the long cylindrical bags. I was spending way too much time obsessing to get it "just right" in order to squeeze it into the original long bags.

Do yourself a favor and get a nice gear bag that opens wide to store your panels, poles, stakes, and guy lines. There's anough room to add any other tent peculiar gear like a tent peg mallet (I use a stupid cheap orange plastic dead-blow hammer from Harbor Freight - too bright to lose, too cheap to worry about). The bag is smaller than the similar military issue "parachute bag" and tough enough to withstand abuse and water resistent, but still easy enough to stuff and store in available spaces on your vehicle. Price isn't so much that I'd feel the pain too much; about $45.00. This strategy really helps keep my OCD in check so I can enjoy the trip a little more instead of fretting over packing.

Sizing: 16.6" x 14" x 11"

Specifications: Genuine 1000 Denier Cordura nylon

kitbag_grande.jpg

kitbag_grande.jpg

Congrats on the OzTent. You will be very happy with it. I might make one suggestion regarding the long bag it comes in. This bag will fade and become brittle in very little time if left to the elements. Especially the sun. I would highly recommend getting a nice ground tarp and wrapping the bag in the tarp before storing it on a roof rack or exposed to the elements in a truck bed. The handles on the bag will rip off within 6 months to a year if you do not protect them. This is my only complaint of this fine tent. I'd also recommend a full set of Snow Peak Stakes and the fancy hammer to compliment the tent. I store all of the side walls and front wall in a separate bag. It happens to be an Eagle Creek bag that I had laying around. Oh and always stake the tent down. I have heard of too many horror stories with a gust of wind bending and breaking the internal corner pieces. Get a cot and an end table and you will be glamping in no time. Have fun with it!

Congrats on the Oztent! Great advice here from the Masters :boss

I've said many times if I were in the market for a ground tent the Oztent wins hands down. Killer tents made to last.

I don"t have the side panels but i am able to wrestle the poles, stakes and RV connector into the main bag. I will eventually have a new bag made that is just a wee bit bigger and use cinching straps. Will probably not put the carrying straps back on. Never use them. They just flap in the breeze as I'm driving down the road.

Enjoy the tent. They are great.

Oh, btw, I had a salvage cover (think fireproof heavy vinyl) made to fit exactly under the tent side to side so the pegs go through the tent rings and the grommets. The tarp extends 3 feet or so to the front to act as a porch of sorts. Web site was tarps now. Cost around thirty bucks.

Congratulations on your purchase

I store the tent with fly attached in the main tent bag. There really is no room for anything else and it's just too much of a struggle to fit more things in there, e.g., poles. The accessory poles go in the remaining largest long bag. I finally said "screw it," as I was making myself miserably by carefully folding and overlapping the panels to roll and store them in another one of the long cylindrical bags. I was spending way too much time obsessing to get it "just right" in order to squeeze it into the original long bags.

Do yourself a favor and get a nice gear bag that opens wide to store your panels, poles, stakes, and guy lines. There's enough room to add any other tent peculiar gear like a tent peg mallet (I use a stupid cheap orange plastic dead-blow hammer from Harbor Freight - too bright to lose, too cheap to worry about). The bag is smaller than the similar military issue "parachute bag" and tough enough to withstand abuse and water resistant, but still easy enough to stuff and store in available spaces on your vehicle. Price isn't so much that I'd feel the pain too much; about $45.00. This strategy really helps keep my OCD in check so I can enjoy the trip a little more instead of fretting over packing.

View attachment 11045

I didnt purchase it, I won it from Oztent. Where did you get this bag, I like the idea of that.

Congrats on the OzTent. You will be very happy with it. I might make one suggestion regarding the long bag it comes in. This bag will fade and become brittle in very little time if left to the elements. Especially the sun. I would highly recommend getting a nice ground tarp and wrapping the bag in the tarp before storing it on a roof rack or exposed to the elements in a truck bed. The handles on the bag will rip off within 6 months to a year if you do not protect them. This is my only complaint of this fine tent. I'd also recommend a full set of Snow Peak Stakes and the fancy hammer to compliment the tent. I store all of the side walls and front wall in a separate bag. It happens to be an Eagle Creek bag that I had laying around. Oh and always stake the tent down. I have heard of too many horror stories with a gust of wind bending and breaking the internal corner pieces. Get a cot and an end table and you will be glamping in no time. Have fun with it!

I am thinking of having a new bag made for it. I really want this thing to last long enough to give it to my kids if I ever have any. Thanks for the tip about the snow peak stakes and always staking it down.

Congrats on the Oztent! Great advice here from the Masters :boss

I've said many times if I were in the market for a ground tent the Oztent wins hands down. Killer tents made to last.

Thanks, I cant wait to use it. The weather is killing me. Spring cant get here soon enough!

Oh, btw, I had a salvage cover (think fireproof heavy vinyl) made to fit exactly under the tent side to side so the pegs go through the tent rings and the grommets. The tarp extends 3 feet or so to the front to act as a porch of sorts. Web site was tarps now. Cost around thirty bucks.

The package I won came with a floor saver.

I have everything you have but the rain fly. All of it fits with the tent in the tent bag. Once I have the tent laying flat before I fold it up, I lay those components on top of it. Then fold in the legs and roll it up. You can really help preserve the bag by spraying down with 3 protectant once or twice a year depending use. I got mine in 2008 and the bags in perfect shape as a result

I have the same set up minus the fly. It all fits in the tent bag. Just lay all the add on pieces on top of the tent before you fold up the legs. I bet the fly would fit also.

Thanks a bunch, guys.

Prior to reading this thread and doing some research on these Oz Tents, I was perfectly happy with my little REI dome tent.

I just received my new RV-5. It should provide enough space for 2 plus a rather rambunctious dog, provided he doesn't try to chew his way out.

-Andy

All these suggestions are great. I have an RV2 with all the add-on accessories. Usually I have my off road trailer so I just store everything in it's individual bags with the tent on top. DITTO what was posted about the bag. I've had mine a few years now and bag is only exposed when on trips. I long ago lost the straps they deteriorated fast. I too put the poles in with tent on bottom before inserting tent. I WILL buy that suggested bag as it will be handy when I just take jeep and no trailer. I travel mostly by myself and with my dog when tent camping so the RV2 is OK size for my use.

Please note: I recently camped with a friend that has an RV3 that he had to have repaired. It was his fault and I was doing the same thing wrong. When you open the tent the "A" and "B" legs are pulled out. It's easy to just bend over pick it up and pull over in position. He was told he broke his because he lifted. We need to keep the legs close to the ground when folding out and in... if that makes sense.

Iv'e heard quite a bit about the bag rotting out prematurely, and that it is the only thing that will wear out for a decade or two.. we got our Jet Tent 25X last winter and have been out several times and love the thing.... However, it does stow up on the rack when traveling.. From what I'm reading even if I spend the money on a quart of nikwax it just won't do any good... and yes, I too keep the extra goodies in a separate bag... It's just a lot easier to set up camp in the pouring down rain and not have to fiddle around with the accessories till next morning..

Special Operations Equipment

Kit Bag

$45.00

View attachment 11045

If you've never ordered from SOE and haven't seen them on social media, don't expect any sort of customer service, don't even e-mail to ask about it. Place your order and let it alone until it arrives. Those guys make Comcast's customer service look 5-star.

Disclaimer: I have an SOE belt and would order from them again for anything I needed, they do make really good gear.

If you've never ordered from SOE and haven't seen them on social media, don't expect any sort of customer service, don't even e-mail to ask about it. Place your order and let it alone until it arrives. Those guys make Comcast's customer service look 5-star.

Disclaimer: I have an SOE belt and would order from them again for anything I needed, they do make really good gear.
Just from seeing how they react to customer questions on social media, and their constant need to use foul language in everything they post, and pretty much put foul language on a lot of the products, that's enough to keep me from ever buying from them.

Just from seeing how they react to customer questions on social media, and their constant need to use foul language in everything they post, and pretty much put foul language on a lot of the products, that's enough to keep me from ever buying from them.

The owner John is a pretty nice guy - I've talked to him on a couple of occasions, and they have a hard-working, dedicated team. But as you observed he doesn't suffer fools or the self-entitled easily. Especially the whiny ones who attack through posts and don't address them directly to resolve their issue.

Every piece of gear has a tag proudly indicating the place of manufacture in very clear, and to some, offensive location. They make quality durable gear; if you're a demanding high maintenance customer, very sensitive, or easily offended this isn't the place for you.

The owner John is a pretty nice guy - I've talked to him on a couple of occasions, and they have a hard-working, dedicated team. But as you observed he doesn't suffer fools or the self-entitled easily. Especially the whiny ones who attack through posts and don't address them directly to resolve their issue.

Every piece of gear has a tag proudly indicating the place of manufacture in very clear, and to some, offensive location. They make quality durable gear; if you're a demanding high maintenance customer, very sensitive, or easily offended this isn't the place for you.

I understand frustrations as a small business owner.. I've been one. That being said, replying to customer's emails in such a manner as he does is sure to lose him business. It's lost me as a potential customer, just because of his attitude. I understand having a personality like that, and that's just who he is, but IMHO, as a business owner, he'd be better served to tone it back a bit in responses to his customers.

Back
Top Bottom