Foot Print or Tarp

Natchez

Adventurist
Without doing a lot of searching yet I wanted to throw this out to all of you first.

Why should I get a footprint for my tent instead of a general use tarp from my local hardware store?

Because you have money to burn? I have a footprint for one of my tents, it's nice in that it fits the tent perfectly, takes up little space when folded, but I still find myself using a tarp under it with the footprint.

The footprint is designed to mimick the shape of the tent. A tarp on the other hand is usually larger then the footprint. When it rains the water will roll down the fly onto the tarp and usually find its way under the tent. If your tent is not properly sealed it will make its way into the tent. The footprint is usually made of better/lighter materials then a tarp. This usually means that it will be easier to store then a tarp. I would buy the footprint if it is a higher end tent. In most cases you get what you payed for. Hope this helps.

Convenience: as Justin mentioned they're usually much lighter than a tarp, and a matched footprint is already the right shape (no tucking in the corners). Also, a footprint often attaches or ties right into the same stakes you'll use to secure the tent. If backpacking the lighter footprint might be an advantage. In a vehicle I prefer the tarp, as they are usually thicker and more durable than a thin footprint.

I use the footprint on my ground tent, but only because Nemo includes the footprint free with their tents. If I had to buy it I would use a tarp instead.

Why should I get a footprint for my tent instead of a general use tarp from my local hardware store?

A footprint will extend the life of your tent by providing an extra layer of fabric from debris you might miss and an additional layer of protection from moisture in the soil/grass that will condensate on the bottom of your tent

That said you should go to the hardware store and make your own matched footprint. Stand by for some simple directions and save yourself some money from buying the optional footprint and an exceptional amount of satisfaction by making your own. Do it now before you forget; go on - hop in the car and go to Lowe's or HD.

Purchase (1) a tarp that's a little bit bigger than the tent's floor dimensions. Don't be angry that it's too big and that there will be some extra that is "unusable." You'll save that extra unusable piece and use it as a ground cloth for field repairs on your vehicle to protect your clothes or catch nuts and bolts you'll lose control - it will be a much more practical size instead of a big old tarp that will get flooded with rainwater (vehicles typically break in foul weather according to Murphy's Law). If it has a reflective light-colored side - bonus - that reflected light will come in handy when working under your truck. You'll always keep this extra patch of tarp tucked in some out of the way space in the truck. Next, get a (2) grommet kit. Finally, get a (3) roll of 1-inch flat braided nylon - you know like backpack strap material. This ain't rocket surgery... 3 items.

Erect you tent. Flatten out your much larger new tarp and be sure to get as many wrinkles/folds out. Set the tent on the tarp. Most tarps have a bound edge and grommets at the corners. I don't like them so I cut them out. Weight the tarp so it doesn't move around. Take you scissors and cut around the base of the tent - straight enough is good enough.

Clear the area of discarded tarp material. Prepare the nylon straps. Cut at least 4 (for each corner if it's a rectangular or square tent; other geometric shapes might require 5 or 6 straps) nylon straps of 10 inches. Fold each strap in half and affix the strap to each corner of the tarp with a grommet bisecting the corner, extending the strap in about 2 inches. Don't forget to take a lighter and singe the edges to keep them from fraying - rookie mistake. Place another grommet about 1 inch from the folded edge. Do the other 3, 4, or 5 corners, and Bob's your uncle.

Now the tent pole will be inserted into the tarp grommet and tie into the tent floor base structure together, keeping both taught. You'll see this folds up nice and compact and will fit in the same kit bag you have your tent in. If you have a different tent, like an Oz tent with a potential for a screened in room, you can extend this ground cloth footprint to the screen room for a floor in that area as well with additional grommets to tie in to that system. For those of us who live in areas with rainy and muddy conditions with greater frequency than our West coast colleagues, this is the way we stay dry and free from mud.

I've been doing this for years with all my tents. Far better than any brand-name footprint you can purchase, and far more durable. Do it now before you forget and it's time to hit the road - you do not want me to nag you. I'm a retired Navy Nurse Corps Officer - I've learned from some of the best nags in the Navy.

A footprint will extend the life of your tent by providing an extra layer of fabric from debris you might miss and an additional layer of protection from moisture in the soil/grass that will condensate on the bottom of your tent

That said you should go to the hardware store and make your own matched footprint. Stand by for some simple directions and save yourself some money from buying the optional footprint and an exceptional amount of satisfaction by making your own. Do it now before you forget; go on - hop in the car and go to Lowe's or HD.

Purchase (1) a tarp that's a little bit bigger than the tent's floor dimensions. Don't be angry that it's too big and that there will be some extra that is "unusable." You'll save that extra unusable piece and use it as a ground cloth for field repairs on your vehicle to protect your clothes or catch nuts and bolts you'll lose control - it will be a much more practical size instead of a big old tarp that will get flooded with rainwater (vehicles typically break in foul weather according to Murphy's Law). If it has a reflective light-colored side - bonus - that reflected light will come in handy when working under your truck. You'll always keep this extra patch of tarp tucked in some out of the way space in the truck. Next, get a (2) grommet kit. Finally, get a (3) roll of 1-inch flat braided nylon - you know like backpack strap material. This ain't rocket surgery... 3 items.

Erect you tent. Flatten out your much larger new tarp and be sure to get as many wrinkles/folds out. Set the tent on the tarp. Most tarps have a bound edge and grommets at the corners. I don't like them so I cut them out. Weight the tarp so it doesn't move around. Take you scissors and cut around the base of the tent - straight enough is good enough.

Clear the area of discarded tarp material. Prepare the nylon straps. Cut at least 4 (for each corner if it's a rectangular or square tent; other geometric shapes might require 5 or 6 straps) nylon straps of 10 inches. Fold each strap in half and affix the strap to each corner of the tarp with a grommet bisecting the corner, extending the strap in about 2 inches. Don't forget to take a lighter and singe the edges to keep them from fraying - rookie mistake. Place another grommet about 1 inch from the folded edge. Do the other 3, 4, or 5 corners, and Bob's your uncle.

Now the tent pole will be inserted into the tarp grommet and tie into the tent floor base structure together, keeping both taught. You'll see this folds up nice and compact and will fit in the same kit bag you have your tent in. If you have a different tent, like an Oz tent with a potential for a screened in room, you can extend this ground cloth footprint to the screen room for a floor in that area as well with additional grommets to tie in to that system. For those of us who live in areas with rainy and muddy conditions with greater frequency than our West coast colleagues, this is the way we stay dry and free from mud.

I've been doing this for years with all my tents. Far better than any brand-name footprint you can purchase, and far more durable. Do it now before you forget and it's time to hit the road - you do not want me to nag you. I'm a retired Navy Nurse Corps Officer - I've learned from some of the best nags in the Navy.

EPIC :rofl

My tents foot print is 9'x7'. I think this 8'x6' tarp will be perfect. I am just gonna tie some paracord tethers to the corners to attach to the 4 tent poles. this should keep it from moving around. and keep it centered.

Thanks for everyones input.

I am hitting the road this evening for a weekend on the blueridge parkway. I'll report back how it worked out.

I ordered a custom tarp* online for my OzTent. It is made of 18oz. flame retardant vinyl coated polyester. Super heavy duty and bulky. I wanted really heavy duty protection for the tub floor of my expensive tent from the pointy rocks of the deserts I frequent.

*www.tarpsnow.com I think. There are several options out there.

Someone purchased my tent footprint for me. It was super thoughtful, but probably a purchase I wouldn't have made. I do use it though, might as well. Supposedly you can build a lightweight shelter with the footprint/poles and fly without bringing the tent body, you just have to guy out.

I've used tyvek before I had the footprint, but I'm in SoCal, so I don't have the mud issues that others might.

Before the backpacker.com forum died there was a guy on there - very well respected - who used a regular tarp inside his tent. We thought it was weird, but he always gave sound advice, so maybe there was something to it.

How did your tarp do?

A little off topic, but when backpacking, I don't even bring a tent any more. I bring a heat reflective tarp and paracord. Light, lots of options, packs small.

Well, I can't really give too much as far as opinions on the tarp as the conditions were perfect. No Rain, Light Breeze, Low 60s at night, and lower 80's during the day. I can say that having the tarp under the tent allowed quicker take down as I didnt have to wipe off and debris or condensation. My REI hobitat 4 has a big enough bag for The tent itself, a ground tarp (footprint) an overhead tarp (covering picnic tables) and still has some room to spare so everything goes right in the bag.

I have found that the tent footprints that come with the tent typically are the same slick material. Less than ideal in my opinion. Slides around too much. I have been using TYVEK for my ground tarp. Lightweight, puncture and tear resistant. Mix up some silicone with paint thinner and paint some 3 inch wide lines on the tyvek to keep the tent from sliding around. Learned that trick when I got my Henry Shire's TarpTent. Works great. I also use tyvek for my entryway ground tarp.

Most footprints allow you to use only the footprint and fly if you choose. When it's warm and I am going ultra light, I just take the FP, poles and fly. It reduces the tent weight by ~70%. I don't think tangos footprint would work this way, his grommet placement is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom