First time Overland Expo question

There is so much going on and can be overwhelming to try and get all of it in. This year will be our third year volunteering at expo west. Work a few hours each day with free entry and camping allows my wife and I a chance not to race around and get our money’s worth. We get to take in the experience by helping others get the most out of their time. And sit in on the classes that spark our interest.

I'm fat, I can use the exercise.

You will definitely get your fill of walking. There's so much to cover that a backpack with snacks, water (maybe even lunch too) plus a small folding chair wouldn't be a bad idea if you're going to be away from camp all day.

You'll see plenty of familiar faces for sure. Socializing and making networks makes ExPo one of the best places to do so.

I'm fat, I can use the exercise.

The PC term is "girth enhanced." ;)

Late to the party, and you've already made your decision, so I'll just leave my witless comment and forum on. :)

(We faced the same dilemma last year, our first ExpoWest experience. We just did general admission, so I will be looking forward to your report on the FEE *full Expo experience*, with hopefully a happy ending! :D )

Yes you will do lot of walking. A day pack with some water will be good. The backpack will be useful for the promotional material and trinkets you will pick up during the event.

Since camping is a distance away bring everything you think you will need for your day at the event. No easy trip back to camp.

Last year there was virtually no cell signal. So you might a battery pack to top off your phone would be handy. With the phone searching for a signal the battery will run down quickly. That being said, if you plan on buying things cash makes it much easier.

The big name vendors are usually to the left and the smaller or new ones are to the right. I usually start off to the right. Porta pottys were in short supply the previous years and hand washing stations nonexsistant. Hopefully with an event company running the event that will be rectified.

All the high ticket stuff is mind blowing. It will be an experience. Enjoy.

Yes you will do lot of walking. A day pack with some water will be good. The backpack will be useful for the promotional material and trinkets you will pick up during the event.

Since camping is a distance away bring everything you think you will need for your day at the event. No easy trip back to camp.

Last year there was virtually no cell signal. So you might a battery pack to top off your phone would be handy. With the phone searching for a signal the battery will run down quickly. That being said, if you plan on buying things cash makes it much easier.

The big name vendors are usually to the left and the smaller or new ones are to the right. I usually start off to the right. Porta pottys were in short supply the previous years and hand washing stations nonexsistant. Hopefully with an event company running the event that will be rectified.

All the high ticket stuff is mind blowing. It will be an experience. Enjoy.

Good advice here!

Some added intel for our members here who are attending WEST:

Stop by and see us at our booth, we have free swag for you ;)

Also, if you are camping far away, you're welcome to hang out and rest at the AAV booth ( we are at ground zero again). If I were camping far away, I'd bring my mountain bike to get back and forth to make it easier.

Another piece of advice, is if you see something you want, either buy it or risk losing the opportunity. Especially if the vendor has a limited stock . I was burned on a Blue Ridge pouch I wanted and hesitated and watched it sold before my eyes.
I've not seen a vendor not hold something for you, after you buy it , and let you pick it up later after you are walking around. A big plus.

I don't participate in the free food and "cocktail" parties. I do find it hysterical to see successful people standing, pushing and jockeying in line for a free splash of a beer and a free piece of brat for the "honor" of getting it from a brand name vendor. Not my gig.

Long before that I'm in camp relaxing.

Stop by and see us at our booth, we have free swag for you ;)

Also, if you are camping far away, you're welcome to hang out and rest at the AAV booth ( we are at ground zero again). If I were camping far away, I'd bring my mountain bike to get back and forth to make it easier.

Thanks again for always taking care of the AAV community...the patch from last year proudly adorns the Taco's headliner.

:clang

Back
Top Bottom