First solo road trip- Chicago to Glacier National Park!

eracoles

Adventurist
Hello all!

I'm heading out on a road trip from Chicago to Glacier National Park at the end of July. I'm passing through Minnesota and North Dakota on my way there with plans for Wyoming, South Dakota, and Iowa on the way home. I want to hit Theodore Roosevelt and Yellowstone, but Glacier is where I'm camping for two nights. I've been camping several times before, but never at a place like that!

I've got a week to do this, but I'm thinking I may want to add a few days on if work allows. I've never done a trip like this solo, so I don't know what to expect. I haven't decided if I'll be camping at the other parks or looking for motels. A week of camping might be a bit much for my first big trip, but I want to get the most out of this time. Any stop recommendations, camping tips, ANYTHING would be helpful! I've been looking through this forum and I'm inspired by everything I've read.

#1: itinerary. don't schedule a tight itinerary and feel like you have to stick to it. That's a good way to ruin your trip.
#2: clothing. bring layers of clothing and pack for temperatures 20 degrees below AND above anything you see on the forecast. Your undergarments should be cycled with about 2-3 times the frequency as outergarments. Avoid packing too many clothes, and cotton is not your friend.
#3: Gear. Bring at least minimal wet weather gear. Always. Compact and multi-useful gear is the way to go. Less is more, meaning do your research on what backpackers carry, then make decisions about which car camping gear you should bring in place of the compact and basic lightweight gear. IMO, investment in backpacking style gear is never a bad investment, and is a good start for any camping kit. Ultra Lightweight is nice, but don't be limited by it unless you plan on carrying it for big distance.
#4: Safety. Always carry a well stocked first aid kit with refresher book. Always carry a small fire extinguisher (there are about 29 highly flammable materials in your car before you even start packing gear into it). Always give a rough trip itinerary to at least 2 people who do not live in the same house, travel together, etc.
#5: get out of the darn truck. Your trip is not about your truck, it's about the cool places that you are able to see with help from your truck / bike / hiking boots / canoe or kayak / you name it. Don't be afraid to switch modes from time to time to see places where one mode can't take you.
#6: Food. Check out local dives. Urban spoon and Google are good resources. Chain restaurants are reliable, but no different than your locale. Bring a couple MREs or backpacking meals. Pre cooking is a good option. Focus on simple and easy to prepare, you can play iron chef at home. Do not bring food or drinks other than water into a tent. EVER. You are asking for trouble in bear country.
#7: clutter monster. Use lists, gear totes, visual aids, etc. to constantly battle the clutter monster and try to nip it in the bud. It can read it's ugly head in even the most experienced travelers setup. Make this fight part of your camping routine and you will have a better experience.

Last edited:
+100 on what Mr Leary said. What you have described is an epic Month long venture if not more. Good luck and be safe, take lots of pics :D

You're going to have a blast! I love doing this but I usually have my little boy with me so its not quite the same.

1) Pick up a National Parks pass at the first NP you get to, that way you won't pay entrance fees at every single park. You can also stop at the National Monuments along the way and see some interesting things and stretch your legs.

2) We carry a big bag of quarters for vending machines, pay showers, the occasional laundry mat

3) Cotton IS my friend!! Looks like you are going to be covering a lot of ground and spending a lot of time in the car. You want to be comfortable. I'll wear the same jeans on a whole trip sometimes (just change everything else) I have regular tennis shoes or sandals for driving and heavier boots for hiking. A good raincoat should do just fine. (I get what Mr Leary was saying and I practice that for backpacking, but I don't think a car trip is nearly the same)

4) Bring a book or something for the evening. Once it gets dark nothing goes on in a campground.

5) Gas station cashiers have all the information you want, don't be afraid to engage them.

I hope you get a chance to visit the heads. The movie they show about how it was made and civil rights was really interesting. I'd watch it again, lol!

Have fun!

Don't worry about bears, their everywhere even in the driveway in Skyforest, CA. Peed my pants!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (15).jpg
    FullSizeRender (15).jpg
    886.6 KB · Views: 49
  • FullSizeRender (16).jpg
    FullSizeRender (16).jpg
    994.5 KB · Views: 56
  • FullSizeRender (17).jpg
    FullSizeRender (17).jpg
    967.9 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom