First Aid

bob91yj

Adventurist
Founding Member
We all have different needs/.ideas of what should be in a first aid kit. I try to go through mine at least once a year to restock/replace expired meds etc.

I think the most important part of my kit is a copy of a wilderness first aid text/reference book. I find myself perusing the book from time to time during quiet moments in camp just to refresh my memory/make myself familiar with what is in the book. I like this particular book because it is shows how to make do with what you may have available.

A buddy of mine took an 4 week class a few years back. At the time his text was this book..

http://www.amazon.com/Wilderness-First-Responder-2nd-Recognition/dp/0762728019/ref=pd_sim_b_1

I'm sure there are other texts/reference manuals out there. Regardless of which one you choose, I think they are a valuable resource to have available.

As an American Heart Association instructor I am required to tout the AHA's First Aid Course. Only for those with no experience/training. I think it is perfect for pre-teen/teenage kids of Adventurists that will be coming along on trips as more than just a idle passenger. Or maybe even for the Ned Beatty of a particular canoe trip. I am guessing that most here would be having a 'no duh' experience going through it. Great introduction though.

I also go through the red bag once a year to restock and replace. I really need to add a "pocket reference" guide as my first aid training (and cpr) has long since expired. The link you posted looks good, thanks.

-Andy

I keep a well stocked first aid kit. I Just spent an hour taking inventory and making a list of things that I need to replace. My kit contains many medications and bandaging material along with basic suturing equipment and general supplies.

P3260052.JPG
P3260053.JPG

P3260054.JPG
P3260055.JPG

Mostly I like to have it to treat anything from minor inconveniences ( heartburn ,diarrhea, poison ivy, sprains) to what I might need to patch someone up to get them to the ambulance or hospital. I hope I never have to use some of the components in it. The items I have are probably much different then what most of you would be comfortable using, however I do have a lot of experience treating wounds and other maladies.

Here is my inventory list:

General items:
First aid manual
Tick remover (Ticked off)
Pen light
Small flashlight
Extra batteries
6 pair exam gloves
CPR mouth shield
Mole Skin
Wrist support wrap
Ankle support wrap
Arm sling
Heat Therapy Patch x2
Ear Plugs
Purell Hand Sanitizer
Thermometer
Chapstick

Eye Care:
Eye patch
Eye Wash
Eye wash Cup
Visine drops
Saline eye drops

Dental Care:
Oral pain reliever gel
Dental floss
Dental wax

Bandage Materials:
Bandage scissors
3” Gauze Squares x40
2” vet wrap x2
3” gauze roll
2” Ace Bandage
4” Ace Bandage
Non- adherent wound dressing
Band-aids
Sam splint
Finger splints

Surgical Supplies:
Chlorhexidine surgical scrub
Quickclot sport
2% Lidocaine
Sterile skin closure strips
Sterile saline wound wash
Various Syringes and hypodermic needles
Various Suture materials with needles
Sterile surgical Gloves x2
Auto stapler
Staple remover
Surgical instruments:
Mosquito hemostats x2
Curved Kelly hemostat
Scalpel blade holder
Mayo scissor
Small Metzenbaum scissor
Probe
Tissue forceps 3x4 teeth
Tissue forceps 1x2 teeth
Olsen-hegar needle holders with scissors
Suture removal scissors

Medications:
Cough drops
Panolog ointment
Triple antibiotic ointment
Hydrocortisone cream
Cough syrup
Cephalexin 500mg
Ciprofloxacin 500mg
Ditrim
Doxycycline
Metronidazole
Aspirin
Extra strength Tylenol
Excedrin
Naproxen
Ibuprofen
Tylenol sinus
Imodium
Tums
Ranitidine anti-acid
Prednisone 20 mg
Benadryl oral and injectable
Decongestant
Senekot
Tobramycin eye drops
BNP with Dex eye drops
Ear Drops
Dramamine
Caffeine tablets

Case:
Pelican 1500 EMS case with dividers

Anyway thats my kit. I've never added up the cost of all this stuff, but I'm sure its probably in the range of about $500-600 . I know it sounds like a lot but if it saves us just one trip to the doctor or lets us stay out in the woods longer, we will be money ahead .

Let me know if you spot anything I'm missing.
Thanks,
Elizabeth, (Dr. C-Dawg)

Nice kit. I have a Pelican 1600 case I've been thinking of doing same thing with. Need to buy the EMS insert. We have several of the 1500 EMS kits where I work that we use in the field with EOD. Works well in the bed of the Rhino. We have a local FD use the 1500 series for their Paramedic 1st in kit. When out with SERE we use a LBT 1562 Medic pack. I'll try to snap some pictures next time I get the kits out for inventory.

Loading the case up with everything you have listed is a fantastic idea! I've always just relied on my ready-made Adventure Medical Kit which is good but not nearly as comprehensive as this.

Now that I think about it, this may be a good subject for discussion in OutdoorX4. Would any of you be interested in participating?

It's one thing to have "everything' but sometimes in the heat of the battle so to speak quite another to know where in that jam packed kit it is. I try at least 2 times a year to open my kit and locate where every thing is and this also helps to notice any items that have been used and need restocking.

It's one thing to have "everything' but sometimes in the heat of the battle so to speak quite another to know where in that jam packed kit it is. I try at least 2 times a year to open my kit and locate where every thing is and this also helps to notice any items that have been used and need restocking.

It's also invaluable to know what to do with the items in your kit before crisis strikes! A book is a good start, but nothing beats practice. Maybe role play emergency situations to familiarize yourselves with your kits. We do this in nursing and it helps tremendously.

Just checked my red bag, scotch has been depleted and needs restocking.

-Andy

Just checked my red bag, scotch has been depleted and needs restocking.

-Andy

No good emergency kit should be without a flask and some scotch. Nice! ;)

My random thoughts:

Unless you are trained in its use avoid quickclot! In fact, no matter what, training is at least as important as equipment. But I guess that's true of most things...

The best reason to have a good pocket guide in your kit is because YOU may be the victim!

Edit: that's a very nice kit, thanks for providing a list of ingredients! Checking over mine now :)

Now that I think about it, this may be a good subject for discussion in OutdoorX4. Would any of you be interested in participating?

I like the idea! Topics could be: items to carry, where to locate your kit, how to store your supplies and shelf life/ inspecting/replacing medical supplies, references and training sources. My training is first responder combat oriented. If only we had a "doc" or "medic" here that could talk intelligently on more common injuries :D

Curious as to why on the Quikclot. What about it requires training, and who would provide it to us non-military types? I have a similar product, Celox.

Original Quick Clot causes an exothermic reaction (heat) and once applied must be surgically removed.

I would only use it in an area, or in a situation, where direct pressure and or Tourniquet do not work (groin, armpit, torso etc).

Use with extreme caution.

Last edited:
BTW, I've been staying out of this thread because I was too busy to really provide value. At some point, I'll add some REAL first aid content to the site I assure you :D

Curious as to why on the Quikclot. What about it requires training, and who would provide it to us non-military types? I have a similar product, Celox.

Celox and quick clot are two very different products but both produce comparable outcomes for hemorrhage control. Celox does not produce heat, and is a chitosan (shellfish polymer base) product that causes no allergic reactions nor does it bind to the wound.

I could bore everyone with data and studies comparing the two but lets just say Celox is "safer" for the layman and leave it at that for now... It's late and I'm spent.

http://www.z-medica.com/healthcare/Products/QuikClot-Combat-Gauze.aspx

Original Quick Clot causes an exothermic reaction (heat) and once applied must be surgically removed.

I would only use it in an area, or in a situation, where direct pressure and or Tourniquet do not work (groin, armpit, torso etc).

Use with extreme caution.

The Original stuff gets very hot, even with nitrile gloves. The Original stuff is almost a sandy powder and it would be bad in a windy
environment (helo evac) for everyone without eye protection.

There is the QuikClot Combat Gauze, it does not get hot and it works well. I carry this option.

Celox and quick clot are two very different products but both produce comparable outcomes for hemorrhage control. Celox does not produce heat, and is a chitosan (shellfish polymer base) product that causes no allergic reactions nor does it bind to the wound.

I could bore everyone with data and studies comparing the two but lets just say Celox is "safer" for the layman and leave it at that for now... It's late and I'm spent.

Thanks for that. That is primarily why I selected Celox to go in my kit. I bought it for my trail kit, and because my disabled father was on blood thinners. Thankfully, I haven't had to use it. Not sure why, but the Quikclot products in various forms seem to be more commonly available for the layman though. Better marketing, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom