Fiberglass Propane Cylinders

weezerbot

Adventurist
Founding Member
With all this talk about recalls and other bad propane mojo I'd like to hear what people are carrying! What brands do you have, what size are you carrying and what are you using it for? Are you carrying it inside the cab, or mounted somewhere outside?

I'm looking to pick up something to use with a portable propane campfire and possibly cooking as well. Is 20# enough? Would it be safe to build a bracket to mount to the roof rack or a rear swing out?

I have a Ragasco that I picked up at West Marine. It's been great so far.

I have a Ragasco that I picked up at West Marine. It's been great so far.

...and it is specifically not subject to the refilling restrictions per the most recent DOT circular. I still highly value the ability to observe the volume of fuel I have available but am reluctant to go resin/fiber again despite that the engineering is there to ensure safe technology. I may end up going aluminum...

I didn't know about aluminum, and steel wasn't an option as I didn't want anything heavy. Apryl needs to be able to move this thing around, and with it, she does just fine.

We have a Ragasco fiberglass in 10lb size. It relegated to Campfire in a Can duties these days. I just strap it in the bed of the truck before a trip.

On the trailer we have 2 Worthington 10lb aluminum tanks. One is for the oven the other is for the shower,

All are lightweight, even filled. Like Tango said the fiber unit tank is nice because you can see how much propane you have. But every time I get mine refilled the guy at the station says "I've never seen one of those before.....is that fiberglass?" and I answer, "Yes, it is" (inside voice saying, just like the last 10 times you filled it up ya nit)

I'd like to only carry one take for cooking and campfire duties. Trying to keep things simple. I do like the fiberglass. Do you guys think a 20# size would be good enough for an extended weekend of both cooking and firepit duties?

Should be....the Campfire in a Can has the potential to use up 10lbs in 4 hours, but that's nonstop use on high - which is a daggone big flame. Used in the mornings and evenings on a more conservative setting and I would think 20lb should get you a long weekend of cooking and campfires

I have that same 10#, Jim. Perfect for us, it ran our stove and a Propex heater 3 days straight in death valley in January, and still has plenty left over, it's almost time to refill it after many uses on the bbq!

I'd like to only carry one take for cooking and campfire duties. Trying to keep things simple. I do like the fiberglass. Do you guys think a 20# size would be good enough for an extended weekend of both cooking and firepit duties?

I don't have a definitive answer but I observed during OX13 that YDR's "Campfire in a Can" consumed a 10 lb cylinder of fuel over 2 nights... that was running at least 6-8 hours total time with a pretty good-sized flame. That campfire in a can is the bomb, isn't it?

For my cylinder I assembled a "Y" connector to the tank valve so I could run a stove and a separate grill with extended gas line. At least I'll be able to use that assembly on the "future" tank.

Aluminum has a Fatigue Life, mild steel does not. That is to say that if the design of the tank is such that filling it takes the stress in the metal to it's Yield Strength (it doesn't, just as an example), then you can do that an infinite number of times with steel, but something far, far less than that with aluminum. Usual design practice for aluminum fatigue is to design for 500,000 cycles. IME by the time that you do that you haven't saved much if any weight over steel. So the only real weight savings with an aluminum tank is in the guard around the valve and in the 'foot' on the bottom of the tank.

Frankly, an aluminum tank bothers me a whole lot more than a composite tank.

Aluminum has a Fatigue Life, mild steel does not. That is to say that if the design of the tank is such that filling it takes the stress in the metal to it's Yield Strength (it doesn't, just as an example), then you can do that an infinite number of times with steel, but something far, far less than that with aluminum. Usual design practice for aluminum fatigue is to design for 500,000 cycles. IME by the time that you do that you haven't saved much if any weight over steel. So the only real weight savings with an aluminum tank is in the guard around the valve and in the 'foot' on the bottom of the tank.

Frankly, an aluminum tank bothers me a whole lot more than a composite tank.

Jumbo jets are made out of aluminum, you would need to do some serious abuse to make one fail. Aluminum is tougher than most think it is.

Thanks Crom. It looks like we will be able to get out this weekend with only Stage 1 fire restrictions, so I'm going to hold off on the campfire/tank purchase for now. We are actually taking my truck this weekend (*GASP!*) :eek: so it seems its going to be our main campingmobile at this time....I say camping and not glamping, mind you! And the FJ will be relegated to the blingmobile :lol Anyway, I'm going to need to get my storage and stuff reconfigured before I start making additional purchases...besides the fridge I'm buying this week of course!

Back
Top Bottom