Few from June lake.

Borrego60

Adventurist
Founding Member
Fishing in June lake, bear rear foot print and bear box took a hit from a front paw.

Attachments

• Monache meadows 109.jpg
    Monache meadows 109.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Monache meadows 106.jpg
    Monache meadows 106.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Monache meadows 085.jpg
    Monache meadows 085.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 62
We had a bear in our Camp at Rubicon Springs a few years back. Gets your attention for sure!

Yes they do, Funny thing I slept during the bear box action, never heard the bear at all.

We were in a two man pup tent, around 11PM, my wife was sound asleep snoring. I laid there and watched it ransack my buddies tent (they were out), then it headed straight towards our tent. I laugh about it now, but I put the flap of the tent door that I was watching out of down, as if that was going to save me. The bear sniffed around our tent, actually rubbed its nose on the tent wall. All I had was a 3D cell Mag Lite to protect us with. It moved on to my food boxes/coolers that were under my Jeep.

We now carry a little more protection with us when camping. This was a few years back, there were no bear boxes, no real trees to haul food up from at Rubicon Sprngs (maybe that has changed). Bears were known to visit the campground. My Jeep only had a bikini top and half doors. Our solution was to put coolers/food boxes under our Jeeps. It was a PITA getting the under there...apparently the bear had more practice. It pulled them out with almost no effort. It opened sealed lunch meat packages, pierced several canned food items with its teeth, and the SOB ate my OREO's that I'd been saving.

In some aspects we were lucky, but IMO, these bears had free reign at the campground, and they knew where to find the food. My buddies were at a party at the main camp area, a bear walked right intro the lighted party area. One of the cooks chased it off banging pots and pans together at it.

There's a longer version of that story, but it went "poof" when a different forum went "poof". Catch me around a campfire if you really want to hear it.

Long story short, we're in their house, it's not always something that happens to the "other" guy.

We actually had a bear roam through our campsite at Silver Lake just around the bend of the Loop. There was also a bear the night before we got in. This being about 4 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom