Family camping

I'm a fan of tent cots. Just throwing that out there

Mike you should check out the Jet Tent Bunker by Oztent. I stayed in Tango's at Appalachian Rendezvous and am VERY impressed by it. No cross bars, superb design and can be used in all seasons. Vestibule for gear, great bug netting and ventilation and comfy even for a big guy. Great for one and trounces anything made by Camp Rite/Tent Cot IMO (I've owned one so have several nights sleeping in both). YMMV.

oztent bunker.jpg

For a super fast setup and lightweight setup for two I'd recommend the Malamoo by Oztent.

malamoo.jpg

http://www.oztent.us/

Last edited:
I checked out the bunker tent at OVX a couple years ago. I've been keeping an eye on the malamoo as well. Seems like a good addition when I have extra passengers.

I checked out the bunker tent at OVX a couple years ago. I've been keeping an eye on the malamoo as well. Seems like a good addition when I have extra passengers.

The picture above is my daughters that she bought as a demo for a great price from Randy and Kim of Family Tent camping. She was tired of using my 4-season 4-person Eureka Assault Element Outfitter (the civil version of the first military issue 2-person tent) as complicated an labor intensive to put up.

She was impressed by the Malamoo's ease in deploying and redeploying but was skeptical about it's ability to keep her warm at night. After a few frosty mornings at the Appalachian Rendezvous, enough to collect and form a snowball, she gave it a "thumbs-up" and claimed that she felt warmer in that than the Eureka. It is quite literally a 3-second tent... take it out of it's disc-shaped carrying case, toss it in the air, then stake it down with 4 stakes, 4 guy-lines optional for windy conditions. Redeployment is far easier than those cursed pop-up heads.

Not really sure what this is, but I doubt you could ever run out of room with this monstrosity.
[video=youtube;nyeH9SzBpUo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyeH9SzBpUo[/video]
Amazing what you can find on youtube

Not really sure what this is, but I doubt you could ever run out of room with this monstrosity.

all I can picture is trying to pack that up in the rain

All I can picture is a divorce attorney if I dragged that home.

All I can picture is that thing rotting in my garage because I would never want to set it up. Looks like lots of fun to wrangle...

So i have been thinking of the whole cot thing. at this time i can prob afford to either get a diff tent that is easier to put up or i can invest in some cots. To maximize space im thinking of getting one of the bunk bed cots from disc-o bed for the kids. has anyone have had any kind of experience with this brand?

Raul,

We have the disc-o-bed bunk bed cots. They are nice, easy to set up and very sturdy... With that sturdiness comes weight. We used them in our old trailer to keep the kids off the ground and they love them. With the new trailer we no use them and have moved to roll up air mattresses. We're still keeping them as an option, but you're more than welcome to give them a try at Toy 4 Tots. We live 5 minutes from the base.

well things just changed. we are now a family of 7 and need to figure out how im going to fit everyone haha. total of 5 kids now ( 3, 5, 6, 8, 14)

it looks like my only option for this setup is a very large ground tent or two ground tents.

well things just changed. we are now a family of 7 and need to figure out how im going to fit everyone haha. total of 5 kids now ( 3, 5, 6, 8, 14)

it looks like my only option for this setup is a very large ground tent or two ground tents.

We love and use a large canvas wall tent. We have a "small" one that is 10x10, you can get MUCH larger. We hang a canvas tarp on the ridge line to make rooms. It takes about 30 minutes to put up and about 30 minutes to break down then pack away. For what we get for the effort it is really worth it to us.

http://winchesterundead.com/main/wall-tent/

Congrats! Although I believe you already found your solution by now it's worth a mention anyway. You can check out this guide. It features a couple of popular tents for multiple seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! Although I believe you already found your solution by now it's worth a mention anyway. You can check out this guide. It features a couple of popular tents for multiple seasons.

For a blog that features a Coleman instant tent as their editor's pick, I have serious doubt on their opinions. I've seen that tent in action and it is a steaming pile of crap. Edit: All the tents they listed are pretty terrible, won't last and won't hold up past a couple of weekends or any sort of real weather. For instance, if a traditional style nylon tent is on the table, the REI Kingdom 8 should be at or near the top of that list.

Back
Top Bottom