Fabricating and attaching a roof rack, A DIY approach

Gallowbraid

Adventurist
I'm itching to drill holes in my perfectly good roof. I lay awake at night wishing I could run a drill bit through that thin sheet metal, risking headliner damage and future water leaks. Nothing would make me happier than drilling the wrong size hole and then struggling to find a way to plug it. Hopefully the drill bit goes through at an angle and I hit a curtain airbag!

In all seriousness I'm considering fabricating a roof rack along the lines of this:

e86f137ed18a4a0b93c7ceed7b887f20--truck-roof-rack-truck-storage.jpg

To start with I'm soliciting suggestions for attaching it to the vehicle. After all I can fabricate all I want, but if it won't stay on the roof it's sort of pointless. Here's what I've come across thus far:

1. Yakima or Thule adapters that grab the roof line and inside the doors to provide a removable system for adding their crossbars. I've already ruled this out for multiple reasons (Price, no availability for my vehicle model, aesthetics and price.)

yakima-q-towers.jpg

2. Some sort of track from the aforementioned companies that allows their hardware and crossbars. Again, ruled out for the same reasons listed above.

R-R3600-RR.jpg

3. Some sort of genetic T-track designed for mounting items to the roof using t-track hardware or simple bolts in the channels. I've found a few that are reasonably priced and attach with self sealing screws (think metal roofing screws), rivets or plusnuts. Attaching a roof rack with nothing more than sheet metal screws doesn't sit right with me.

proline-roof-rack-top-track-slats-es-240.jpg

4. An aluminum t-track not marketed as being for vehicle roofs. Same item as above but difficult to get in black, they don't come with fancy end caps and they're 1/4 the price.

HDW-TRK-24-2.jpg

5. Skip the track all together and fabricate feet into the roof rack and attach with plusnuts.

IMG_20180314_152404.jpg

6. Give up on the fabrication dream and continue to save pennies for a Gobi rack that will still require me to figure out how to mount it as I have none of the stock mounting points.

img-gobi-stealth-toyota-sequoia-GTSEQ2STL40-WS-1__57039.1496084368.1280.1280.jpg

Anyone tackled something like this before? Is there a product or some magical hardware I haven't come across?

Last edited:
What vehicle? The Sequoia?

Are you sure there are not mounts under the factory rubber strips that cover the weld lines for the roof panel? If not I would drill and use riv nuts there if it were me.

What vehicle? The Sequoia?

Are you sure there are not mounts under the factory rubber strips that cover the weld lines for the roof panel? If not I would drill and use riv nuts there if it were me.

Yep, the Sequoia. Looked for factory points under the rubber strips but from what I can tell the stock roof rack mounts further in board and I have solid sheet metal where it would mount. I have yet to come across another Sequoia without a roof rack. I think I have an odd one.

Yep, the Sequoia. Looked for factory points under the rubber strips but from what I can tell the stock roof rack mounts further in board and I have solid sheet metal where it would mount. I have yet to come across another Sequoia without a roof rack. I think I have an odd one.
Odd, could you see the spot welds and seam between the roof panel and side walls under the rubber there?

I would drill and do Riv nuts there if it were mine. Thats basically how the factory 4Runner ones are.

I'd try to find the Toyota factory roof rack instillation guide and see what it has to say. I don't have any real idea about the Sequoia, but on the double cab Tacomas you pull back the weather strips and the mounting holes for the factory rack have painted tape over them. Remove the tape and you can mount the factory rack or any rack utilizing those holes. The Access Cab trucks do not have that feature since there is no such thing as a factory rack for them.

RhinoRack makes their RTC tracks to fit a variety of different channels so you might call them. Barring that I'd just figure out what you want, drill away and insert rivnuts and sealant and mount the track then rack. Almost every destroyed roof rack you will see is caused by people forgetting they had objects on top of the vehicle.

I think I need to take another look under the rubber in that channel. What you guys are describing is what my 16 Tacoma had. I looked when I first bought the Sequoia but that's been awhile...perhapsiI didn't peel the rubber back far enough.

To the driveway!

Nothing. Dimples where the two panels are mechanically joined but no taped over threaded holes. In the photo below you can see the stock rack mounted slightly in board of the gutter. Amazes me Toyota would make two different roof panels for a vehicle that really had no roof options other than sunroof or not.

IMG_20180314_162823.jpg

IMG_20180314_162843.jpg

IMG_20180314_163130.jpg

The 4runner rack looks the same, the feet kind of sit inboard, but ti mounts in the "gutter". I think drilling and riv nuts is the answer. That weld line is strong.

That costs Toyota to drill 12 holes, insert 12 pieces of nylon hardware, 6 spring steel panel clips, and 1 foot of 3M panel tape, for a total of $6.37 in materials and labor. Is there a reason you want to drive prices through the roof!?

Kaizen baby, Kaizen! :D

The 4runner rack looks the same, the feet kind of sit inboard, but ti mounts in the "gutter". I think drilling and riv nuts is the answer. That weld line is strong.
Agreed, Rivnuts is a way to go, but I'd just go factory... everything you need to replicate the factory mounts is available on-line for a Land Cruiser, equipped Sequoia, 4Runner, FJC, or Tacoma. Look up the Toyota PN's and order direct through ToyotaPartsZone.com or equivalent... should be dirt cheap; avoid the dealership parts desk unless you have a hook-up. KISS.

Agreed, Rivnuts is a way to go, but I'd just go factory... everything you need to replicate the factory mounts is available on-line for a Land Cruiser, equipped Sequoia, 4Runner, FJC, or Tacoma. Look up the Toyota PN's and order direct through ToyotaPartsZone.com or equivalent... should be dirt cheap; avoid the dealership parts desk unless you have a hook-up. KISS.

I had spent some time looking at parts diagrams trying to figure out how the factory rack was mounted. Unfortunately no fasteners show up anywhere that I've looked.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I looked at this and it states use existing holes as no drilling is required for install. Installation guide towards the bottom. Of course I see your roof pictures as well. Odd http://www.gobiracks.com/product/toyota-sequoia-2008-2016/

I agree, odd. This diagram certainly makes it look like the pre-drilled mounting holes are outside the rain gutter though.

IMG_20180315_060833.jpg

I'm going to order some rivnuts and look at using the gutter area for mounting. I'm going to need to look under the headliner for those pesky curtain airbag locations to make sure I don't cause any problems though.

Thru bolts with proper backing plates...That is a near bomb proof design. I knew a carpet installer who didn't use any rack on his sedan. His roof was beat into a cradle shape from use.

The roof rack in your first post looks really heavy

I had spent some time looking at parts diagrams trying to figure out how the factory rack was mounted. Unfortunately no fasteners show up anywhere that I've looked.
Well, you certainly gave it a close look and performed your "due diligence"... I would have suspected those other parts would have Toyota PNs and surprised they aren't there. The only other thing I'd suggest is looking at other vehicles, e.g., the FJC or Tacoma - those I know have popular aftermarket support and may be better diagrammed and identified; as you know they have the roof rack option and even those vehicles (Tacomas) not thus equipped with a rack positively have the pre-drilled mounts as you would expect performed on the assembly line for every truck on that model line.

The other workable solution is of course are Rivnuts, but still not quite as desirable or OE, IMHO.

Another Toyota part source and esteemed scholar of all parts that are Toyota, and the guy who replaced the legendary "Cruiser Dan" from American Toyota, is Onur Aziri: 505-944-5081.

I would still give Rhinorack a call and see if they have a track that will fit that channel. The tracks helps distribute the weight over a greater area plus they give you the ability to easily customize or remove the rack depending on your needs. JMHO :)

Back
Top Bottom