"F" you sears!!!

Andy

Adventurist
Founding Member
RANT ON:

I will never again purchase anything from Sears. I have 2 die hard Platinum batteries in my Tacoma. The starter battery will no longer hold a charge overnight. I contacted the not so local Sears in Palm Springs (nothing exists here in 29 Palms. No, really, it is hell) to see if they had any in stock to replace mine. They informed me that they no longer carry that battery and will gladly warranty it with a die hard Gold. Sure, what a deal! I get rid of my Oddessy rebrand that I paid $224 dollars for and get a cheap Chinese $150 battery with less reserve capacity, less amp hours and less warranty. The only reason I bought the damned thing in the first place was for the extra amp hours and the 8 year warranty which apparently is worthless... Now I have to rush out of work and drive an hour to get a cheap piece of crap battery so I can start my trip on time this weekend.

RANT OFF...

I can add something here. I had the same issue 4 weeks ago. 3 year old batteries (AGM Platinum) both dead. The first Sears tested them said they were dead and needed to be replaced. OK good. I will be back to pick them up. Not so fast because they no longer made them. I preceded to tell the guy they had one on the shelf when I was there an hour ago. Mr Customer Service figured out I was right and that they had discontinued using that P/N and were using a new part number. So when I got there I asked about the second battery. He told me that he couldn't order one. He didn't know how, his boss was on vacation, and that they only received stock when the computer took inventory for itself. OK Great, trip coming in about 5 days. He said the Sears about 1 1/2 hours away had two so I drove there. Exchanged at the second Sears without hassle for the new batteries.

I forgot the funniest part. The first store CSA mentioned to me about how I told the service tech about how I tried to charge the batteries. Yes sir why's that? He proceeded to tell me that I wasn't supposed to charge the batteries when they went dead. I said really, why's that?? When they go dead I am supposed to bring them in to the store for them to replace them. I told him I would keep that in mind, walked away shaking my head in disbelief.

I would try another Sears store if possible.

I have called all three that are within 2 hours of here. Same story from each, no Platinums in stock and they are discontinued. I am very unhappy.

I just had a Platinum installed in my F-150 after my old "Gold" battery went dead at the Toys for Tots event in December. $250! This is, to say the least, disconcerting!

Cam

It is true they are discontinued. I replaced my house battery in the truck recently with a Gold but like you was not happy to hear that the Platinum line was discontinued.

Doing some research online, this DieHard Advanced Gold AGM Model #50033 battery appears to be a re-badged Deka made by East Penn.
Pretty good reviews.

8A31DTM_Deka_Intimidator_Battery.jpg

The Deka 8A31DT (8A31DTM) is an American made AGM (absorved glass-mat) deep cycle battery. The AGM technology allows for a completely sealed maintenance-free battery with no sulfuric acid leaks, no acid clean up, and more power in the same space when compared to conventional batteries. It has an under 2% per month self discharge rate. These are manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing who also makes batteries for MK Battery.

The Deka 8A31DT (8A31DTM) is a direct replacement for any group 31 lead-acid, GEL, or AGM batteries.

Based on my research of this "new" development, I just put one in the truck as my new house battery.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Yes I was looking for a group 35 battery for my Jeep a few months ago and the diehards are all basically discontinued. I talked with Sears customer service and said they show online I can get one to which they replied you will not be able to check out and purchase it. So there went my plan. I ended up forking over some bucks and just ended up getting the Genesis Dual Battery tray along with 2 yellow tops. I got a great deal on the yellow tops from a buddy who had a hook up so I couldnt complain. Lets just see which side of the yellow top debate I will be on when it is all said and done.

I stand corrected. Just called, discontinued. I wish I would have known 3/4 weeks ago.

No worries, thanks for looking. At least its my starting battery and not my house battery. That one isn't doing great either but at least it will run the fridge.

I thought you had a solar panel on the roof trickle charging your batteries? Seems to be plenty of sun out in 29 Stumps...

I do, but the heat isn't doing me any favors... I can barely get through one night on the fridge without it going into low voltage shut off. Consequences of not disconnecting my batteries when I deployed and relying on someone to start the truck occasionally (who didn't).

Hi Andy did you see the thread about taking the batteries down to 10.5 volts and recharging at a high rate to re-educate and restore(lack of better term) them?

The battery drained on its own to 10.5 volts or so :) I ran both through a discharge and high amp charge cycle. The house battery survived (older by 2 years?) but the starting battery did not.

I have the new Die Hard Gold AGM in place now. Its a battery, it starts the truck... Now to see how it holds up long term. The shorter warranty, 10 lbs less weight, less advertised CCA and reserve time and the need for a 1 inch plastic spacer to make it fit where the old battery was (its shorter) say it won't be there for long.

Awesome! Well, I have all of this to look forward to when I return to the States. Both my Platinums died about 8 months into storage. At least my battery tray wasn't specifically designed around these batteries. :rolleyes:

:sarcasm

Very similar rant thread on Expo Portal about Sears and the Diehard not to long ago.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/140533-Sears-DieHard-Battery-Warranty-STINKS!

Superb thread on IH8MUD on batteries by a member over there I respect. Good informative info w/o being biased IMHO.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/battery-information.610857/

Based on this thread, I put two Odyssey batteries in my truck (size I needed). 8 year old Optima Yellow top bit the dust big time at DRV 2015 (no pun intended there) and my Sears Platinum was getting old so I replaced both. Ordered online from Auto Anything when they had a free shipping promo. They've constantly got 20% off promos too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom