Everyone can relate to a Jeep

I miss my Jeep almost every day. I still find myself waving without thinking about it and getting funny looks back. Today was different. I dropped the wife off at the grocery store and headed over to Lowes for some lumber. Got a bunch of 8' boards, some hardware, and then picked her and a bunch of groceries up. With all the loading work I was getting a little warm - down there. The truck had my back and lightly blew fresh air up where it was needed. Thank you truck. I'm gonna replace that windshield wiper blade for you tomorrow.

I do seriously miss my Jeep. But I also love this truck.

Jeeps...I had plenty. XJ, MJ, 2 Grands, a TJ and my LJ. I enjoyed owning them, well, the Grands not so much. The Comanche was the best of them, being the most reliable, dependable and useful of the bunch. That's the Jeep I miss most.

Than again I miss having a truck of my own period and I miss my Tundra more than all of the Jeeps combined.

I miss ALL my Heeps. '47 CJ2A, '48 CJ2A, '91 YJ, '98 TJ, '12 JKU... but no room for myself, the wife, 2 boys, a black lab, etc...etc...

I miss all mine, 2 XJs, 1 WJ and a JKUR. All of them were great vehicles. I'd buy another Jeep if I didn't use my truck all the time for truck stuff.

x2 on the air conditioned seats!

The only "Jeep" I ever enjoyed... (sigh)

1200px-AMG_M151_A2_%281978%29_GB_%28owner_Gavin_Broad%29.JPG

Later replaced by this... (ugh)

Chevrolet_M1009_%281984%29_owned_by_Graham_Worsfold.JPG

'87XJ, bone stock commuter car.
'91YJ, almost nothing stock, rock crawler.
'05LJ Rubicon, a little bit of both.

Last edited:
I was on a waiting list for the TJ to come out. Once I had it, i only kept it for 18 months, then I went back to a truck. I was tempted by a 2 door JL Rubicon last month but i can't give up the utility of a truck. Maybe someday if I sell our business, move to a condo and stop fixing things, I'll get a daily driver jeep. Though I imagine I'll still be fixing the jeep.

I had a CJ6 with a 283 Chevy in it and 5.38 gears. It also had an aftermarket hard top. It wasn’t much fun on the highway, but it sure was off road. That’s the one I should have kept.

I always wanted a CJ-6, my buddy found two of them and bought them both. I was going to buy one of them and build it...then Jeep came out with the LJ. Everyone compared it to the CJ-8 Scrambler. I always thought it was more comparable to a CJ-6. I canceled my CJ-6 plans and bought an '05 LJ Rubicon instead, and never looked back.

The CJ-6 build would have been fun, but a long term project. The LJ was right NOW!

I've never owned a Jeep....which is why I had money to buy my Tacoma. ;)

Cool article, especially this excerpt from Day 2:

"Up here, everything has a utilitarian purpose. Nearly every vehicle is a pickup. If it’s not, it’s likely just passing through. This isn’t home for the Subaru with the roof-mounted storage bin, or the Camry packed full of snacks and pillows. At each stop, I parked alongside trucks that were beaten and dented, each driven by someone who looked equally weathered. Worn faces, rough beards, tattered jeans, battle-scarred boots and flannels. Out here, surviving is everyone’s full-time job."

Last edited:
The 2 best automotive days I have had are the day I got the keys to my first vehicle (62 Ford Ranchero) and the day that I watched our jeep leave on the trailer of the new owner.

Back
Top Bottom