Eurosatory: This navigation system by Safran doesn’t need GPS

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Eurosatory is an international Defense and Security industry trade fair that is held every two years in Paris-Nord Villepinte Exhibition Centre, Paris -France.

It and trade shows like it are important because much of the technology initially developed for the military eventually makes it's way into civilian hands. Take our GPS systems for example.

Now imagine a navigation system that doesn't need satellites... and no, I'm not talking map and compass for you luddites ;)

Unveiled at the 2018 Eurosatory show, the Geonyx INS range is a navigation tool designed to allow operators to find their position and aim weapons. The system is intended to be highly reliable and independent of GPS. The resonance technology in the new INS range is “extremely disruptive" because it cannot be jammed.

Geonyx draws on technology developed on its Crystal gyroscope, an advanced hemispherical resonator gyroscope. The resonance technology will be applied to equipment for space, air, land and sea, both civil and military, Safran ED said in a statement.

https://www.defensenews.com/digital...-navigation-system-by-safran-doesnt-need-gps/

that's nice that INS systems have progressed so far to have little or no drift these days. I'm sure ICBMs are pegged to get an INS upgrade soon, budget permiting. Though, I'll bet the Russians are like "it'll hit american soil, good enough", slap themselves on the back, and knock back a few shots of potato vodka.

Back
Top Bottom