Esquif Prospecteur 15

BushHead

Adventurist
Well I finally broke down and got me another canoe. After much reading and evaluating my needs, a boat that solo's well but can handle dogs and kids when needed, I went with the Esquif Prospectuer in T-Formex material.

Haven't had it in the water yet, just got here today... super excited!!

IMG_1670.JPG
IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_1672.JPG

Looks like it’s got decent rocker. Nice boat!

2.75 inches per the manufacturer. So enough to be decently maneuverable but not enough that it can't handle the flats. I was really going for the jack of all trades master of none route, and even though I envision endless paddles through the Canadian wilderness that ain't likely to happen, at least no time soon. And I don't just play in whitewater, but like to run rapids when I get to them. Everything is a compromise. I went with T-Formex because its the new royalex. Hopefully near indestructible and fairly light.

If you want to do rapids sometime, the Haw river has a section that regularly runs class 2 and nips into class 3. Under heavier rain the one up by Pittsboro can get unsafe to run. Under normal conditions an open canoe like you just picked up is no problem. Let me know if you want to do it sometime. It has been decades since I have done that section, but I think I still have the guides for it.

I have another friend that's done that section several times too, but I have not, but that is a yes!! And the Johnson's ford on the river at my house in supposedly a class 3, but its very short.

Maiden Voyage today. First thoughts... tracks well enough, no better than the Guide 119 due to its full length keel, but just as good. Def. faster, and it is so easy to turn... doing very mild class 1's today you could just slowly and easily pick your line and put the nose right where you wanted it. Happy so far!

IMG_1698 (2).JPG
IMG_1704.JPG

Well I thought I was paddling solo today, but I had the chance to guide some lovely ladies down the creek! Picture taken below the old Carter's Mill Dam... no more pics.. I was busy....

IMG_1739 (2).JPG

I ordered canoe barrels today... I know it's kinda hot for camping but I'm hoping to start some practice runs down the river soonish.

Back
Top Bottom