Electric trailer brakes on original pickup axle?

Malamute

Adventurist
Is it possible to put electric trailer brakes on an original pickup axle? Google has yielded no useful information.

First choice would be to get a trailer axle, but I dont have time to wait (3-5 weeks) for a trailer axle to be made in the size I need. The truck axle bearings sound funky, so Id need to replace bearings and seals to use it right away, which would be money thrown away if I got a trailer axle later (and about the same money). So, can electric trailer brakes be easily added to a pickup axle?

Talking normal electric trailer brakes on the axle, not a surge type.

I wouldn't use a truck axle for a trailer axle. Most are way heavier than a standard trailer axle, plus you'll have all the rotational mass of the shafts and differential causing drag.

As to your questions... There is no way to put electric trailer brakes on a truck axle that I know of. The only way to use truck axle brakes on a trailer would be to get a electric/hydraulic system or a hydraulic surge brake assembly. Should be noted, but systems are heavy and quirky. You'll spend more on the conversion than you will a trailer axle.

Thanks, I sort of suspected that, about the cost and not being able to use the original drums etc for electric brakes, but wasnt sure. Ive towed a datson pickup bed trailer around a lot in the past, across the country several times and to alaska and back once, it never killed my mileage too bad, even with a 4 cyl 79 Toyota pickup towing it. I understand I could take the ring gear out to reduce the pinion drag, i had it looked at and the axle is in good shape, was just hoping there was a simple way to add electric brakes for now. I want to get a trailer axle, but its not at the top of the priority/budget list yet. i wanted to use the trailer some in the mean time.

So far, this trailer, made from an 89 Nissan 4x has slaughtered my fuel mileage in my 05 2wd 4runner 6 cyl. Havent figured out quite why yet. Like normaly 21-23 mpg on the road, 21 around town average, to about 14 pulling the nissan trailer with shell on it. Its a bit taller than the 4runner, it may be wind, like towing a sail. I may as well drive the suburban at that mileage rate.

0801171216.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I sort of suspected that, about the cost and not being able to use the original drums etc for electric brakes, but wasnt sure. Ive towed a datson pickup bed trailer around a lot in the past, across the country several times and to alaska and back once, it never killed my mileage too bad, even with a 4 cyl 79 Toyota pickup towing it. I understand I could take the ring gear out to reduce the pinion drag, i had it looked at and the axle is in good shape, was just hoping there was a simple way to add electric brakes for now. I want to get a trailer axle, but its not at the top of the priority/budget list yet. i wanted to use the trailer some in the mean time.

So far, this trailer, made from an 89 Nissan 4x has slaughtered my fuel mileage in my 05 2wd 4runner 6 cyl. Havent figured out quite why yet. Like normaly 21-23 mpg on the road, 21 around town average, to about 14 pulling the nissan trailer with shell on it. Its a bit taller than the 4runner, it may be wind, like towing a sail. I may as well drive the suburban at that mileage rate.

View attachment 41719
I don't understand what the problem could be... I mean, it looks like it has the sleek aerodynamic lines of a cinder block and you live in a state that rarely ever experiences any wind, let alone a breeze, on those open plains. :sarcasm :D

Similar issue with my trailer and the Jeep. It's 6" wider an probably just as much taller. I have the areodynamic profile of a brick towing a cynderblock. Luckily I spend most of my time at sub highway speeds where it isn't much of an issue and the times I am at highway speed are few and far between. I'm sure the smart thing would be to find a more aerodynamic trailer... but I'm just going to swap in a V8 and a much better transmission to help compensate for the lackluster Jeep/Chrysler/Mercedes transmission that's in it now.

Back
Top Bottom