Eastbound and Further Down

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Leaving Delaware behind, we rolled through Maryland and were in Virginia by lunch. Ahead of us lay an important part of our coastal shortcut and one of the highlights of this trip, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. The CBBT as it’s called is an impressive feat of engineering that had me really geeking out, because bridge-tunnel-bridge-tunnel-bridge.
It crosses over open waters where the Chesapeake Bay meets the Atlantic Ocean providing a direct link between Southeastern Virginia and the “DelMarVa Peninsula” (Delaware plus the Eastern Shore counties in Maryland and Virginia). It also dips down into underwater tunnels in two places making this a pretty unique roller coaster ride of a highway.
11206867_860217204027854_4130759595116644880_o-800x535.jpg

This route along US 13 cuts 95 miles from the journey between Virginia Beach and points north of Wilmington, Delaware. From shore to shore, the Bridge-Tunnel measures 17.6 miles and is...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice!!! I remember hunching over the dining room table at the Clanhold peering at a map depicting the Bay Bridge-Tunnel and seeing the gleam in your eye.

Nice!!! I remember hunching over the dining room table at the Clanhold peering at a map depicting the Bay Bridge-Tunnel and seeing the gleam in your eye.

THAT really was a bucket list drive! Never seen anything like that anywhere :wow

You made Michelle jealous as she still hasn't gotten to cross that bridge yet.

They just closed the pier and restaurant at 1st island( one closest to va beach) to build another tunnel. Cool engineering. When built the islands were the most expensive land in the world.

They just closed the pier and restaurant at 1st island( one closest to va beach) to build another tunnel. Cool engineering. When built the islands were the most expensive land in the world.

The engineering that went into the CBBT is mind boggling. Such a cool area to see!

Cool trip Dave; that Pilot article is amazing. Didn't take them that much longer to build back then than it would today, tough group of men I'd say! Awesome history...

Back
Top Bottom