Dutch Oven Travel Case

No more excuses. It is easy to leave the cast iron behind when heading out. It’s dirty, fragile for its weight considering the pencil legs, and just doesn’t fit into a cube mentality of logistical formula. After some time designing this thing in my head, I finally grabbed a saw, square, and some screws and got to work. It was much easier in my head. Since reclaimed wood is all the rage today, every bit of this was scrap from a separate project’s pallets and end cuts except the hardware and stain. Total investment was around $25.
C9FAB2AD-BA28-4B55-BC5C-8295B9487BE7.jpeg

The bottom of the case uses a platform to support the oven and isolate the legs 1/4” off the floor. The space in the corners will house a pot lifter and bottle of oil.
327290B3-CFC9-400A-9032-B540ED25F10B.jpeg

Finally the lid has a cutout to lock the lid into place. Now it won’t bounce off or even spin.
74D74B2C-D9FF-42E8-8240-28D2B5E1398A.jpeg
That’s it. Nothing fancy but hopefully it will inspire someone to get theirs out more and make something great. I know I am long over due because I could still smell the Appalachian Rendezvous birthday cake I baked in mine from last year. That is too long for the these iron magicians.

Great idea! The build is kind of clunky but effective.
I'm not dissing yours, it's just that I'm a woodworker. I might borrow your idea if I may and make a few to see if I can sell them at least break even but preferably for a small profit. I enjoy working in my shop (especially when it's not 110*f inside with all doors open and fan blowing.)

What was in the oven?
In the photo was a kind of pineapple/coconut dump cobbler. Needed rum.

Great idea! The build is kind of clunky but effective.
I'm not dissing yours, it's just that I'm a woodworker. I might borrow your idea if I may and make a few to see if I can sell them at least break even but preferably for a small profit. I enjoy working in my shop (especially when it's not 110*f inside with all doors open and fan blowing.)
It was clunky. My tools included a circular saw, drill, and angle grinder with flap wheel to smooth out the edges. I also used a square, so at least there was some effort to hold dimensions, but all the wood came out of a dumpster so I worked with what I had.

Suggestions for your build, 2x4 framing is probably overkill and makes is slightly more bulky than needed. I think I will also bore a space into the oven support for an oil bottle. I will probably keep the hasp in place, but a little more thought into a cleaner closure would have been preferred. The rope handles and lid handle cutout worked well as intended to save space but be functional.

Andy

Adventurist
Founding Member
Nice! I have 2 that I bring on trips depending on what I’m cooking. I have lodge travel bags for both but the square shape of yours makes packing easier! Only thing I would add are tie down points of some sort, that much mass flopping about could wreck gear or people.

Top Bottom