Dutch oven accessories

I came up with this a while ago. Pony keg, angle grinder, and Sawzall.

FB_IMG_1476374728847.jpg
FB_IMG_1476374711668.jpg

I am horrible at keeping track of the paper work they require for exchange. I think I had this sitting for a few years before cutting it.

IMG_4930.JPG
I bought all the Camp Maid accessories from Murdocks in Butte Montana. Everything fits into the oven except the stand if of course your oven is the more shallow one like mine. The stand is awkward and difficult to store. The tray that holds the charcoal has two little rubber coatings to act as 'heat guards'. When they got hot, they slipped off and it was difficult to move the tray up or down. I had some really carpy charcoal too so I ended up throwing in some pine chunks. I only cooked with it once and made Sish Ka Bobs. By the time they were done I was starved. I'll post up more pix in the next few days of everything. I'm not giving up on it yet and need to try the pizza oven aspect and attempt some other dishes before I make my final decision.

I just bought the campmaid 6 piece set for the wife's xmas present... we're taking it camping with us this weekend for its first trial run!

Campmaid is a stand up company. I bought my wife a Campmaid Dutch oven, lid lifter/holder, and folding charcoal chimney for Christmas through a Kickstarter for the chimney. I didn't get any shipping information so a few days before Christmas I inquired about it. The founder posted up that I should receive it soon and it arrived the next day. When I got back to my office after the holidays, a second one had arrived. I'm pretty sure they just sent a second rather than trying to find the first in shipping nightmare of the week before Christmas. I emailed to ask how to ship it back and they said to give it to a friend instead! So I'll be donating it to the raffle at DRV 2017 or whatever the AAV staff is most appropriate, maybe the accessories for part of the Dutch over competition prizes.

Dan, I tried the pizza thing with my apparatus our last trip out. I used a Pillsbury raw crust. The pizza came out pretty good. The biggest mistake I made was not putting charcoal on top of the dutch oven, I just had the charcoal in the tray underneath, the crust was over done by the time the cheese and fixings were cooked...lesson learned.

I made chili in the big dutch oven with coals and then kept it warm by the fire, I then placed coals in the holder thing and placed my lodge pot on top on the grill part and extra coals on top of the pot. Both dishes
dutch3.jpg
turned out wonderful, I let the chili simmer most of the day and the brownie cake baked in about 35 minutes!

And yes.. those little red tabs get hot, I put the coals in with tongs and quickly put it in the highest setting and didn't fool with it again until the coals had cooled. But the ones on bottom and top cooked those brownies just as quick as the oven at home.

Back
Top Bottom