Dual fuel stove

armyRN

Adventurist
Normally when I go camping or overlanding, I bring a two-burner Coleman propane stove. It has always served me well for a number of years, but on my most recent adventures I've been traveling solo, so I wanted something smaller, like a single burner stove. I didn't want to spend a lot of money, and I wanted to be able to use both butane cylinders and propane. And I wanted to be able to use it on my tailgate. So I did a little research, and found this:

dual fuel stove.png

Of course, the real test is how it works in the field.

It worked well. I liked the stove.

Pro's:

Small package (and comes with a rigid plastic carrying case)
Gets plenty hot to cook with.
On Amazon for like $52 - not expensive.
It was small enough to fit on my Jeep's tailgate (tailgate converted to drop down - no longer swings open like factory).

Con's:

The butane cylinders work ok; but I much preferred using the propane cylinders. However, the butane cylinders are much easier to use (or for a quick heating up of water).
If using a 1lb propane cylinder, you really need to have some sort of base to put the propane cylinder in to keep it upright (I use the base from a Coleman propane lantern).
If you're used to using a regular two-burner stove, most of them come with wings to block the wind, and the lid lifts up so in essence you've got three out of four sides blocking the wind. Not with this one. They sell inexpensive wind blocking thingies. Or you can use the case to help block the wind like in the picture (I don't remember for sure if I'm using propane or butane in this picture; I'm thinking butane).

Trip.2.jpg

Here's a picture of using a folding aluminum wind break around the stove (they're inexpensive, it fits folded-up in the case with the stove just fine, and easily found on Amazon), and the propane cylinder with a base. I'm also using a Coleman oven (these things have been around for years) to practice cooking some blueberry muffins before taking it out on the trail.

Muffins.4.jpg

Last edited:
I've been a butane burner evangelist for several years now. I still own a mess of other cooking gear (Coleman Dual Fue, Propane, etc.) but my go-to for basic heating of water and anything that doesn't get cooked in a skottle or dutch oven has been a very similar dual-fuel butane/propane stove.

My biggest "Pro" is ease/speed to use. I'm often up before dawn (for photography, etc.), and the last thing I want to be doing when my hands are cold and I haven't had coffee is dinking with trying to screw in a fussy propane nipple or pump up a coleman. With the butane stove I snap down the lever, and with a flick of the wrist the fire is burning.
IMG_20190907_063913.jpg

I have a similar windscreen too ($5 at my local Asian market). The only "fix" there was to epoxy on a couple of magnets so it snaps onto my stove and doesn't flop around in a breeze.

We have a Camp Chef dual fuel single stove in our gear, seems the wife & I always grabbing the Camp Chef Everest 2 burner. We bought the single burner stove for our Coleman Camp Oven, Seth McGinn's CanCooker or to have a extra burner for cooking.
SAM_0932.JPG
29216344_1615039718544896_999860023382274099_n.jpg

045.JPG

Last edited:
I've been a butane burner evangelist for several years now. I still own a mess of other cooking gear (Coleman Dual Fue, Propane, etc.) but my go-to for basic heating of water and anything that doesn't get cooked in a skottle or dutch oven has been a very similar dual-fuel butane/propane stove.

My biggest "Pro" is ease/speed to use. I'm often up before dawn (for photography, etc.), and the last thing I want to be doing when my hands are cold and I haven't had coffee is dinking with trying to screw in a fussy propane nipple or pump up a coleman. With the butane stove I snap down the lever, and with a flick of the wrist the fire is burning.
View attachment 48645
I have a similar windscreen too ($5 at my local Asian market). The only "fix" there was to epoxy on a couple of magnets so it snaps onto my stove and doesn't flop around in a breeze.

Yup; that's when I like to use the butane cartridges - when I'm just wanting to heat up some water real quick. But for any serious cooking on the stove (if you can call what I do "cooking") I like to use the propane cylinders. It's good to have options.

And since the particular stove I have is a dual-fuel stove, it has a hole in the back so when using propane the lid for the fuel can remains closed and the hose just runs out the back.

Muffins.2.jpg

Last edited:
We used them all the time overseas and I've got one of the less powerful versions here (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HQRD8EO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that I use primarily for cooking samgyupsal or foods like fish that I don't want to cook in the house.

The $27 Bayou griddle (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BXHL6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) is slotted to work on the butane stoves as well so you've got a skottle for well under $100, just no legs.

Be very careful using something like that Coleman oven over it, especially with the windscreen, if you are using the fuel cartridges There have been instances of the butane cartridges rupturing when they get overheated. The cartridges sold in the US should all carry a safety seal and have a blow off but you're still going to get a blev. No issues when using the propane tanks outside of the stove housing.

Be very careful using something like that Coleman oven over it, especially with the windscreen, if you are using the fuel cartridges There have been instances of the butane cartridges rupturing when they get overheated. The cartridges sold in the US should all carry a safety seal and have a blow off but you're still going to get a blev. No issues when using the propane tanks outside of the stove housing.

Yeah, all the instructions usually carry a warning, but it's easy to miss the importance of NOT overheating the canister. Super important not to use any apparatus that reflects heat down onto the cartridge. If you want to look for grilling accessories, try your local asian market - there are all sorts of skottle-like and grill-like setups that are specifically built for the butane stoves where they mount in such a way to NOT cover the cartridge area.

Yep, the korean stores here typically have the best deals. The samgyupsal cook tops* are typically raised or angled so that air can circulate around them. Even as hot as it was in the Philippines we never had any issues at home or in restaurants; I checked my canister a few times after first getting it but it was always fine. I wouldn't set it out in the sun though.

*One of the things I like about the samgyupsal cookers is that most of them have a removable plug so you can allow the grease to drain if you want.

I'm kinda skittish about these. I have one that I got in DragonMart (completely unregulated Chinese flea market) in Dubai. It had a lot of flames where they weren't supposed to be the second time I used it. I love the form factor and the stability for a pot or pan, but the quality on the one I got was scary. What's your impression of the quality of the GasOne version?

I have two dual-fuel butane/propane stoves, one "fullsize" from Stansport, and one "mini" one from GasOne.

The Stansport is nearly perfect. The only issue I had was that for storage, you couldn't invert the pot-holder to reduce the vertical height. I fixed this by nipping one of the internal ribs with some sheetmetal shears just a bit, and now it stores very compactly. This only matters because I keep it in a very shallow drawer inside my van. This one is rated to 10k BTU.

The GasOne is "miniature", in that it is not as deep as a butane cartridge (you can see the yellow part of the label sticking out the back in my photo above.) This part does not seem to impact stability, however. The one issue I have is that the pot-holder does not "snap" onto the main body of the stove as securely as I would like. I find it a bit fiddly to get it oriented after unpacking (but once set it is stable during use.) This one is only rated to 7.1k BTU, which is a bummer, but I like that it fits in my smaller kitchen box very easily...

I like the look of the fullsize GasOne dual-fuel that armyRN posted. If I need another one, I'd get that, especially since it's rated to 15k BTU.

I'm kinda skittish about these. I have one that I got in DragonMart (completely unregulated Chinese flea market) in Dubai. It had a lot of flames where they weren't supposed to be the second time I used it. I love the form factor and the stability for a pot or pan, but the quality on the one I got was scary. What's your impression of the quality of the GasOne version?

I didn't know they made a miniature one.

Anyways; my "full-size" GasOne stove seems pretty well built. I used it in Canada, and on a month-long trip across the country and back, and it seems well made - good quality; it didn't seem flimsy or anything. I have no issues. Usually I used the propane, but sometimes I used the butane if I was feeling lazy or wasn't doing anything major on the stove. The butane is much more easy to use (just plug-it-in and go) vs. dealing with the hose and standing-up the propane cylinder (which only takes a couple additional minutes).
Tail gater tire table.PNG

No issues with my gasone so far. The Korean versions are typically better quality than the Chinese- go figure.

Thanks for the information guys. One more question. Do you see any difference in performance between the propane and butane? I would expect the run times to be shorter on Butane because the canister is smaller, but do you get the full 15K btu?

I have a gasone dual fuel stove, I mostly use propane with it. Mostly bought it for the small footprint. I do have a couple of butane canisters just in case I run out of propane. Also I like that it simmers much better than the big partner stove I have.

I do have to be careful sometimes when I'm trying to keep the heat low - I'll go too far and turn it off unintentionally. It easily relights, but when turning it down low I have to watch the flame to make sure I didn't shut it off.

Been seeing some folks say the duel-fuel stoves from Gasone have a slightly different valve and will only take their butane canisters, not others.

Anyone using the duel-fuel Gasone 3900P (15,000 BTU) or their 3400P (8,000 BTU) have any problems using other brand butane canisters?

I'm interested in the duel-fuel but would rather use any brand I want, as well as the safer CRV (Countersink Release Vent) butane canisters like I have in my butane-only stove.

The one I have (GS 800P) works fine with coleman canisters. They are the only one I have tries, I normally use propane for my stove.
Untitled-1.jpg

Been seeing some folks say the duel-fuel stoves from Gasone have a slightly different valve and will only take their butane canisters, not others.

Anyone using the duel-fuel Gasone 3900P (15,000 BTU) or their 3400P (8,000 BTU) have any problems using other brand butane canisters?

I'm interested in the duel-fuel but would rather use any brand I want, as well as the safer CRV (Countersink Release Vent) butane canisters like I have in my butane-only stove.

I generally bulk-buy only the cheapest off-brand butane cartridges from my local Asian market - different labeling every time, and they're all CRV-included. I've never had a cartridge not work in either of my stoves. One does need to ensure the little alignment notch is correctly oriented (up), but other than that, I've never had issues.

There was a general revision to most/all butane stove designs a few years back to add compatibility for the CRV cans, but AFAIK, everything built after the introduction of that standard is compatible. (Also, some older stoves were already compatible, the difference being in the shape of the "face" where the canister is pressed against the valve.) Only thing I can presume is that someone tried a CRV cartridge in an older stove?

The one I have (GS 800P) works fine with coleman canisters. They are the only one I have tries, I normally use propane for my stove.

Cool, thanks for the info.

I have a great Partner 22" I use all the time in camp, but want a duel-fuel single burner for those times I just take the van or go off in my canoe.

I've used the butane-only burner I already have to supplement my Partner 22 when I'm cooking up a huge meal outside like at Thanksgiving, but being able to use propane for everything in those situations would be handy. Being able to use butane too makes portability easier and lighter for packing overnight.

For those interested, here's a comparison of Gasone's duel-fuel models (grabbed from Amzn). As for how many BTUs you really need, a normal-sized gas burner on a home stove has around 7,000 BTUs.

Here's an interesting article on BTUs and why you don't always need more.

Gasone-model-comparison-900.jpg

Back
Top Bottom