Drones - If you were buying one today

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
If you were buying a drone today, which one would you choose and why?

I'm considering adding one to my "media arsenal" that currently consists of my iPhone and a Canon.

Discuss!

@Chad any thoughts? Last I checked you were the licensed pro drone pilot guy around here :)

I have a Mavic Air, I really like it for the portability of the package. Not as good of image quality as some of the larger ones, but it folds up nicely which is good for travel.

I don't use it as much as I thought I would.

And FWIW it REALLY hates the cold. Like 90 second flight times.

If you were buying a drone today, which one would you choose and why?

I'm considering adding one to my "media arsenal" that currently consists of my iPhone and a Canon.

Discuss!
For most of the off-road group the mavic mini would for the price point match what they need just saying. They do not need all the bells the pro has and it’s super small with the fly more.

Oh man. That's a good question. I guess to answer it best, I need to ask a question. What do you want to do or envision doing with a drone? Drones are tools, and like any tool there's a right one for a given job...

The old saying of "the best camera is the one that you have with you" applies here, and I think that's one of the reasons that a Mavic Mini is cool, because it's so small it can go anywhere. Yet the small size lends to several drawbacks, like limited wind performance and the small size means that you're not going to (legally) be able to fly as far away from yourself and your VOs than you would a larger drone.

That being said, I can pack a Mavic 2 Pro, batteries and all of the gack i need with me in a pelican box the size of normal person's shoe box, and when I'm working out of a backpack, I can do the same with a few packing cells so it's not that hard to pack around either. The M2P is more appealing to me as it has much better flight performance (wind tol) and takes higher rez photos and videos and I can see it further out.

The Mavic 2 Pro (M2P) also has six axis obstacle avoidance. I believe the MM just has it upward. Either way, DJI's experience is so Apple-esq. that you will be up and flying in no time.

I have a Mavic Pro and agree with the above comments. It takes up a bit more space, either its own Pelican Case or a few lens spaces in my camera bag. Bigger is better for wind tolerance and visually spotting it at a distance. If I did it again today, I’d probably go with the Mini 2 or Mini 3 Pro for the compactness, lower cost and use case. If this is going to be for social media posts (FB and IG) the Minis are fine. Definitely get the Fly More bundle with the extra batteries.

One last bit, and maybe the more experienced drone operators can speak to this. I’ve had limited success with the auto following functions. Part of this may be the older technology I’ve got, where it works via tracking with my phone. In the cab of the truck at a Birds Eye distance, I get a lot of signal loss and the drone just holds position or even worse, carries on the last received command. I find manual fight mode is much more reliable for long range shots/video. But try this when you are driving solo. Much worse than distracted driving with a cell phone.

What if you weren't packing it anywhere, but instead would use around the homestead? Would need to have ability to go maybe 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile radius and to be able to transmit live images. Just thinking about it for the first time.

I’d do a quick search of the possibility places you might like to fly it first. 85% of the camp spots I’m in are off limits to drones. Anza Borrego for instance. Your better off putting your iPhone on a monopod and raising it up as high as you can. You might be surprised by what you can capture. Just my two cents. Oh and I have the DJI Mavic Pro 2.

I just recently picked up a DJI Mini 2 (Prime day, Fly more combo was discounted $120). So far is has been great and I have only scratched the surface of what it can do. I am still gaining trust in it and my skills (luckily I flew RC planes/helos many, many years back). I think for the average person who is not trying to make 100% pro level videos, it's likely the best bang for the buck. Great 4K video, small size that packs up well (combo has a soft case) that doesn't break the bank. Excited to try my hand at getting some cinematic type footage and have a few ideas of things I want to try. I did get my TRUST cert and registered with the FAA (even though the Mini 2 doesn't need to be).

What if you weren't packing it anywhere, but instead would use around the homestead? Would need to have ability to go maybe 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile radius and to be able to transmit live images. Just thinking about it for the first time.

Note: FAA rules says you must fly visible line of sight (VLoS). 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile away, you won't see it by eye. The drone will more than be able to fly that distance using the screen to navigate but it would not be legal. Mini 2, I have watched videos of extreme range testing (most time over water, since no obstructions) and battery ranges seems to limit it to 5-6 miles out (since it has to fly back as well). Before buying, I would check FAA site for drone usage and have an idea what is legal and not.

I just recently picked up a DJI Mini 2 (Prime day, Fly more combo was discounted $120). So far is has been great and I have only scratched the surface of what it can do. I am still gaining trust in it and my skills (luckily I flew RC planes/helos many, many years back). I think for the average person who is not trying to make 100% pro level videos, it's likely the best bang for the buck. Great 4K video, small size that packs up well (combo has a soft case) that doesn't break the bank. Excited to try my hand at getting some cinematic type footage and have a few ideas of things I want to try. I did get my TRUST cert and registered with the FAA (even though the Mini 2 doesn't need to be).

Note: FAA rules says you must fly visible line of sight (VLoS). 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile away, you won't see it by eye. The drone will more than be able to fly that distance using the screen to navigate but it would not be legal. Mini 2, I have watched videos of extreme range testing (most time over water, since no obstructions) and battery ranges seems to limit it to 5-6 miles out (since it has to fly back as well). Before buying, I would check FAA site for drone usage and have an idea what is legal and not.

Thank you Mike. Just exactly what I was looking for.

Back
Top Bottom