Drones - If you were buying one today

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
If you were buying a drone today, which one would you choose and why?

I'm considering adding one to my "media arsenal" that currently consists of my iPhone and a Canon.

Discuss!

java230

Adventurist
I have a Mavic Air, I really like it for the portability of the package. Not as good of image quality as some of the larger ones, but it folds up nicely which is good for travel.

I don't use it as much as I thought I would.

And FWIW it REALLY hates the cold. Like 90 second flight times.

If you were buying a drone today, which one would you choose and why?

I'm considering adding one to my "media arsenal" that currently consists of my iPhone and a Canon.

Discuss!
For most of the off-road group the mavic mini would for the price point match what they need just saying. They do not need all the bells the pro has and it’s super small with the fly more.

Chad

Adventurist
Editor
Oh man. That's a good question. I guess to answer it best, I need to ask a question. What do you want to do or envision doing with a drone? Drones are tools, and like any tool there's a right one for a given job...

The old saying of "the best camera is the one that you have with you" applies here, and I think that's one of the reasons that a Mavic Mini is cool, because it's so small it can go anywhere. Yet the small size lends to several drawbacks, like limited wind performance and the small size means that you're not going to (legally) be able to fly as far away from yourself and your VOs than you would a larger drone.

That being said, I can pack a Mavic 2 Pro, batteries and all of the gack i need with me in a pelican box the size of normal person's shoe box, and when I'm working out of a backpack, I can do the same with a few packing cells so it's not that hard to pack around either. The M2P is more appealing to me as it has much better flight performance (wind tol) and takes higher rez photos and videos and I can see it further out.

The Mavic 2 Pro (M2P) also has six axis obstacle avoidance. I believe the MM just has it upward. Either way, DJI's experience is so Apple-esq. that you will be up and flying in no time.

Top Bottom