Doublers VS Telephoto

megacabcummins

Adventurist
My buddy JB and I were talking about various camera things and doublers came up. Mostly because neither of us can afford a $5000+ 600mm lense LOL. I started looking and there are a couple available for my Nikon D3100, though I am sure there are more. Then I started finding 600mm lenses below $500 packaged with a doubler. Now I realize these are not top quality lenses, but I am not shooting for National Geographic either. What I am curious about is the quality of these lenses. Does anyone here use them? Are they even worth looking at? Are doublers worth the cost?

http://smile.amazon.com/Rokinon-650...8&qid=1423686649&sr=8-6&keywords=nikon+1300mm

Yes, they are not the same quality as a true lens, but for the most part they work. The main downside is they usually you loose a full f-stop, sometimes 2 depending on the teleconverter.

The main downside is they usually you loose a full f-stop, sometimes 2 depending on the teleconverter.

This is the trade. You gain magnification in exchange for aperture - you'll probably need to compensate with a longer shutter time. If you're shooting something that's not moving too fast, and maybe can use a brace or tripod, you're probably fine. If you're trying to do sports photography, you might be out of luck.

What are your goals?

Back
Top Bottom