Different flours for different folks

100acre

Adventurist
IMG_0460.JPG
Im not exactly allergic to many types of food but if I eat them I get violently ill for days. It's because I struggle with SIBO -small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. It's similar to IBS and Chrone's. That being said if you know or have someone you know of and want to make something as simple as fried chicken or a vegetable tempura batter but cannot use wheat flour, there are many other types of non wheat or gluten free flour available today. So far I've been experimenting with various types to expand my limited diet. I've been using Brown rice flour, Tapioca flour which is also good for baking breads, Coconut flour which is sweet, if you want to do a sweet and savory or Asian dishes, Potato flour and Corn meal. So far my favorite is the Potato flour which is excellent for making fried chicken. I rarely eat deep fried foods, but I'm just thrilled to have other options in ways to prepare various cuisines. Typically I make a egg dip with 2-4 eggs, some milk and any herbs or spices I feel like using. I'll fill a gallon ziploc with the flour ingredients and sometimes I'll add some parmesan cheese to it. Once the chicken etc comes out of the egg mix, I toss it into the bag of flour, cheese herbs and spices. I close the bag and shake it all up making sure each food item is thourghly covered, then into the oil until brown on both sides. Drain the oil, chop up some fresh Thai Basil or Cilantro and Chow!
Top picture is using coconut flour. Lower picture is potato flour.
IMG_0137.JPG

Good topic. Having working knowledge of non-wheat starches is great for a lot of reasons, especially for those of us who travel widely - most often it's easier to "eat local" and bend your cooking to whatever is at hand. Hard wheat flour is thin on the ground in many places.

Back
Top Bottom