Diesel Chevy ZR2 and Conqueror 440

GWNavigator

Adventurist
Hi, just want to introduce you all to my favorite couple - the diesel ZR2 and Conqueror 440 camper.

36EB1B0A-D026-4CE0-90A5-4E772644BB1C.jpeg

Camper was purchased from Conqueror NA in 2017. Here she sits in Big Sur, earlier this year:

83EDE25F-018C-4F8A-B459-86F46808CA52.jpeg

The camper has been great! I have two kids and two dogs and tent camping, though fun, was getting old, mostly due to the time and effort involved loading/unloading. We are mostly weekend warriors so getting out of town quickly is key and setup time/takedown times are important. Also, we’ve rode out a few crazy storms in our ground tent so we’re happy to now have a big metal box between us and the weather when needed.

Though compact on the outside, when fully deployed the 440 has plenty of room inside:

8107BC7D-E708-4EF3-BF36-7ED8ED8A0721.jpeg

Full pullout kitchen and pantry on the drivers’ side also makes for happy cooks:

AFF6A924-7889-4257-BB32-B7C67122A7B1.jpeg

While the exterior shower (one of my favorite features) keeps us smelling better than the dogs most of the times.

C47F5BE0-16B7-423B-A1EF-81AC7EF5D468.jpeg

Towing with the ZR2 has been a dream. I can’t say enough good things about the baby max diesel for its towing capability. Just purrs along the highway, and on-trail, uphill, high altitude — it pulls along the ~3800lb 440 seemingly effortlessly. The 440 is also built to take a lot of extended abuse on the trail. It just rolls with the punches.

Overall these two machines really are a great match for each other, and give us the flexibility to extend our American adventures with few limitations. Thanks Dave, from Conqueror NA, for bringing these machines over here. His customer service is truly stellar, and the growing community of owners makes for some great crowd sourced support as well as some fun times on group excursions.

Thanks to all you American Adventurists for your stewardship, the inspiration and support of this hobby! Hope you enjoyed this post.

-Dan.

22BCF25F-0965-498F-8237-24568CD14BE2.jpeg

If you don't mind sharing some info, I'd be interested to know the "ball park" price point for the trailer, and approximate set up/take down time.

We currently have a slide in pop up camper in the bed of an '06 Duramax. They both have some hard miles on them, we're starting to consider some other options. I like the idea of a trailer because you can drop it and go exploring without taking your "camp" back down as I have to do with my truck/camper combo. My current solution is towing our '05 Wrangler behind the truck. Flat towing, no brakes in the 4500# Jeep that I'm dragging along behind my 9000# truck/camper has it's obvious limitations.

Nice. Welcome tto AAV.
T
If you don't mind sharing some info, I'd be interested to know the "ball park" price point for the trailer, and approximate set up/take down time.

We currently have a slide in pop up camper in the bed of an '06 Duramax. They both have some hard miles on them, we're starting to consider some other options. I like the idea of a trailer because you can drop it and go exploring without taking your "camp" back down as I have to do with my truck/camper combo. My current solution is towing our '05 Wrangler behind the truck. Flat towing, no brakes in the 4500# Jeep that I'm dragging along behind my 9000# truck/camper has it's obvious limitations.

To be sure, check with Dave from Conqueror North America, but a couple of years ago it was ~40k but depends on what options you get too. For example I opted for no TV, no AC, but did splurge on Lithium-Iron batteries and added-on the bundutec awning at Overland Expo this year.

Setup time is roughly 15 min. The bundutec awning setup is a separate 10 min. Trailer take down is a little longer, maybe 25 min. Bundutec awning take-down is 15 min. Of course, teamwork and practice can speed things up.

The ability to drop the trailer and go can be a real bonus, especially once you arrive at a ‘destination’ like Moab area or Sedona or anywhere else you may want to base-camp for more than a night. In that way the trailer is quite versatile.

Back
Top Bottom