DE VIII - The Owens Valley

Scott B.

Adventurist
Desert Expedition VIII

It is time to start planning the eight annual Desert Expedition, DE VIII. This year, we are going to traverse the Owens Valley in California.

A little background for those that may be reading of the DE series for the first time. I started the first trip as a way to spend time with my Dad, as he lives in Cali and I live in Georgia (soon to be Alabama). We don't spend time in the outdoors like we used to, and I wanted to remedy that problem. Since the first trip was to the deserts of SoCal, I picked an appropriate, if not overused, trip name. Prepping for the trip, I ended up with about 10 people, half of whom I did not know. (Isn't the Internet great? ;))

Fast forward to today. This will be the eighth (yes, 8th!) year in a row for this event. We have lost a few of the original members, and gained several additional ones. As such, I am always looking to meet new people of like interests.

This year, the trip will be the first two weeks of September.

Since the warm weather will be with us (unless is snows like last year), the plan is to start in the city of Mojave, and head north up Hwy 395 to the Nevada border. There is quite a bit to see and explore along the way. I have compiled a list of possibilities, but am pretty sure there are more things to see than time allowed for.

Post up if you are interested in attending, as well as time constraints/suggestions and destination ideas.

As usual, participants must be completely self sufficient. Patience and a sense of humor are helpful, too. These trips are very laid back, without a specific, tight rigid schedule. I am on vacation, and I assume everyone else on the trip is too.

I'd like to limit the group size to 8 or 10 trucks.

Dates: September 5 - September 12

Meeting Place: somewhere in Mojave, CA (Ready to roll at 9:00 AM)

Attendees:
Scott_B. & hun (Laura)
Scott_B.'s Dad
FrenchieXJ
4x4x4doors

Probables:
woody

Probably Not:
Ace Brown
gwittman

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the dates for this trip may (as in may not) change.

My Dad was in the hospital with a gall stone, and they didn't get it. He is going back (this week?) to have it taken care of. However, I don't know if he will be up to a trip after only 8 weeks of recovery.

For now, I am planning on running the trip as scheduled. When I have more information, I will post it here.

Meanwhile, I have been compiling the where-we-are-going list from 6 map books. This will be a great trip!

I have decided to postpone this trip until sometime in the fall.

Dad had the gall stone removed successfully, and is recovering. I am a little concerned with him being 100% at the end of March.

That, combined with looking for a house to buy/build in Huntsville has me scrambling. And the idea of packing up this house and moving - do you know how much stuff one can accumulate in 20 years?

As much as I want a break, I think postponing is the right thing to do.

I am open to suggestions as to new dates.

Sorry to hear your dad had health issues but sounds like all will be better in the future.

Sorry to hear your dad had health issues but sounds like all will be better in the future.

Thank you. He is recovering, so all should be fine.

The desert in the fall will be nice - and I get 6 months to build anticipation! ;)

********** Update !!!!! **********

New dates have been selected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):):):):):):):)

The expedition will run from Wednesday, September 5 through Wednesday September 12.

We will meet in Mojave on Wednesday morning, and get to where we get to, where every that may be, by the following Wednesday. On Thursday, Laura and I will start our journey back to Georgia.

I plan to follow the idea/itinerary in the first post. I have updated the dates, and will add names as I hear from people.

4 months and counting! :)

In preparation for this trip, I have a new set of tires on the truck!

Reviewing maps and books, still need to download some electronic maps.

Just over 3 weeks to go!

I'll see your set of tires and raise you a new truck with new tires!

(nothing is in its right place, I'll spend the whole trip figuring out where this should be now and how this operates differently than the old one).

I'll see your set of tires and raise you a new truck with new tires!

(nothing is in its right place, I'll spend the whole trip figuring out where this should be now and how this operates differently than the old one).

I wondered if you were getting a new truck... A new CB radio, too, right?

My Dad wants a new truck also - he is going to wait until after the trip though.

@4x4x4doors Do we get to see a picture of the new truck, or do I have to wait to see it in Cali?

How will I be able to find you if I don't know what you look like??????? ;)

So I missed your post...

I ran Frenchie's handheld CB the first year I had this truck. With the external antenna, it worked fine. Without it, not so much. :)

Back
Top Bottom