DC-to-DC Charger Question

Scott B.

Adventurist
I have decided to use a CTEK D250S to charge my second battery (as opposed to an ACR). Given today's modern (smart) alternators, this seems to be the right way to go.

I am not sure whether or not I should also use a Smartpass 120 Energy Management Unit. The Smartpass works as a controller for the charger.

However, at this time, I do not plan to run any solar.

So the question is, should I use a Smartpass with the D250S? Will it provide me any additional functionality, since I will not be running solar?

@Mitch, this is for you! ;)

I have mulled this over a million times myself and talked to Ctek a lot about this. We keep coming up with the same thing. There is no benefit to it for us with 2 batteries, it benefits those with battery banks.

I have added a CTEK MUS4.3 to be able to charge from house power though and works great to maintain my truck when it sits.

The D250S and now D250SA are both solar controllers so I have a shower power plug and just plug in my solar when I’m camping and it keeps everything easily topped off.

There is one other thing the Smartpass provides - the ability to dump some power from the second battery to the starting battery, when the starting battery is dead.

I don't fully understand what it does, but I believe it sends a quick charge with the idea being you will be able to start the vehicle. You can only do this 4 or 5 times, however.

I liked this idea since it closely mimicked the idea of hooking 2 batteries together with an ACR, for emergencies. (Yes, I needed and used this feature once.)

However, now that I have a lithium jump pack, this feature is not completely necessary.

Lithium jump pack (as you already stated) or jumper cables. Way less money than a smart pass.

Back
Top Bottom