Dave's Jeep JL Rubicon: The Gray Goat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh the Rhino rack, Go ahead and order 2 more of the plastic hinges to keep in the jeep. Speaking from experience, they are pretty easy to change and if your not careful a gust of wind can catch the awning as your opening it (at the beach for instance), the hinges break pretty easy. I have the large one on my AT trailer.

Oh the Rhino rack, Go ahead and order 2 more of the plastic hinges to keep in the jeep. Speaking from experience, they are pretty easy to change and if your not careful a gust of wind can catch the awning as your opening it (at the beach for instance), the hinges break pretty easy. I have the large one on my AT trailer.

I have a bag of spares for it. I like the fact that it breaks there - like a fuse - if things get thrashed. Easy to plan for and to repair.

While the Genesis kit is great for what it is (doubling up a starter battery for something like winching), I'm not convinced it is an appropriate system for running in a starter/house battery configuration.

Been doing a lot of research into batteries, dual battery systems, and dc-to-dc charging and it seems for a dedicated house battery system dc-to-dc is the way to go over a Genesis type dual battery system. The Genesis kit is okay for basic charging but lacks the optimization and conditioning of a dc-to-dc charger (not to mention the integration of a social charge controller). Therefore over time - and repeated discharge of the house battery - the Genesis kit fails to maintain the battery at peak condition thus shortening its life. Plus, with a stand-alone dc-to-dc charger you can run a different battery size/type/chemisty than the starter battery whereas the Genesis kit neccessitates twin starter batteries which in most cases aren't going to make great house batteries anyway.

At least that's where I'm at in my current stage of research and having talked to a lot of people about it at Expo.

This is where I’m at in regards to a second battery as well.
Been pretty impressed with Redarc products like this..

https://redarcelectronics.com/products/dual-input-25a-in-vehicle-dc-battery-charger

Somewhere deep in the South

86C7647E-CDF2-4EBA-BEBA-48B537D166D3.jpeg

I finally got around to adding that 100N (22lbs) gas strut to the Engel fridge. Note the upside down orientation like the OEM struts on the rear glass - this ensures lubrication of the seals and proper function.

$10 on Amazon and the lid is a pleasure to open and close now :D

8D7FEDFA-64B4-4FCA-8091-4F7B6C0EA2C8.jpeg

78806607-43AF-4564-AEEE-6EFC8AD536F1.jpeg

A426E186-5CBE-46C1-BEEA-A6A011CF5FFA.jpeg

52A48351-011F-4592-B0F9-7405C6C6639D.jpeg

A25497CD-D6D1-400C-A09E-373FBB9BF5CF.jpeg

Dam Dave you beat to this one. I just need something to hold it open while digging inside.

How much time would it take to install and remove the batwing? I really like them but wouldnt want it permanently on my Jeep

I'm thinking that Jeeps needs some red mud on that suspension! Is the military range between Pensacola and Fort Walton still open for service members use? Back in the 80's we use to camp on the Yellow River and wheel all over! Area was from highway 85-87 east to west and south of the 10 freeway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.4917717,-86.7897877,59228m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Been there. Had plenty of red mud on it but you know I hate mud - that shit gets hosed down when I hit my driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom