Dave's Jeep JL Rubicon: The Gray Goat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know, I’ve bounced around some decent trails and rocky stream crossings with the Maggie or a pile of yaks up on Yakima bars with no problems. Better safe than sorry works as well as an expedition rack is cooler for reasoning for getting a full rack. Both of which I will use when I get a Frontrunner rack for the FJ (if I end up keeping it that is).

The big question is will you regret not waiting when the AEV stuff finally does come out?
Therein lies my current conundrum:coffee

Your current set-up is functional and fairly aesthetically pleasing is it not? There’s no real burning need for something different is there? Why not wait and see what shakes out from AEV in the near future and just run what you brung for now? Better to not pay early and cry latter. Personally I find the majority of AEV stuff to be unappealing, especially their rims. Gaad, they make some ugly rims.

Your current set-up is functional and fairly aesthetically pleasing is it not? There’s no real burning need for something different is there? Why not wait and see what shakes out from AEV in the near future and just run what you brung for now? Better to not pay early and cry latter. Personally I find the majority of AEV stuff to be unappealing, especially their rims. Gaad, they make some ugly rims.

There is always a burning need... :p

There is always a burning need... :p
Fair enough, it’s @Dave after all. Most victims of the horrible malaise of Shipfitter’s Syndrome seem to veer from “Less Gear, More Go” to “Gotta Catch ‘Em All” eventually. As far as medical science is aware there is no cure once SS in contracted.

Fair enough, it’s @Dave after all. Most victims of the horrible malaise of Shipfitter’s Syndrome seem to veer from “Less Gear, More Go” to “Gotta Catch ‘Em All” eventually. As far as medical science is aware there is no cure once SS in contracted.

The goal is still less gear more go, but the less gear part still includes a minimum gear set which in this case includes a Shiftpod, 2 boats and 2 bikes and 2-3 people.

A proper roof rack (even as much as I hate roof racks and roof loads) is key to making this work in a Jeep.

There’s no rush, my annoyance with Rhino Rack (and AEV) is that they showed these products off many months ago and they’re still not available. So it’s the long game... waiting another summer it seems.

The latest update from Rhino Rack says they will have their Backbone and Pioneer Racks in stock in June. As soon as they arrive I plan on pulling the trigger unless something shiny distracts me at Overland Expo...

:lol

I've been waiting over a year for the Rhino Rack JL Backbone to come out, and I think it's going to pay off here soon. This install video is one of the best I've ever seen. Their level of attention to detail makes me an eager customer and really validates my gut instinct to wait for these to be produced.

Maintenance time on the JL, ensuring factory torque specs on every suspension fastener in preparation for some big road trips coming up!

A40EA6C0-C7F1-4690-B7C9-EA1BD27B7D3E.jpeg

E5834111-2000-43A4-B6B9-08E5E39F03A2.jpeg

I've been waiting over a year for the Rhino Rack JL Backbone to come out, and I think it's going to pay off here soon. This install video is one of the best I've ever seen. Their level of attention to detail makes me an eager customer and really validates my gut instinct to wait for these to be produced.

Very nice rack Dave. would love to see it!

I liked the video, however, do your own research on the amount of Anti-Seize to apply to threaded parts; this guy was very heavy handed on application. (note - it does get on everything.)

^^^
Any details?
We’re planning on using an Engel on our Gladiator build.

Pretty straight forward. Got a 100n gas lifter from Amazon. Measured extended and compressed length archs with a set of dividers to find suitable placement and marked. Drilled and installed mounts. Took about 10 minutes total to complete.

PSX_20190818_190821.jpg

Dave, I have a question "can the rear speaker & the plastic be removed so that rear area of the JK can increased the width?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom