Dave's Jeep JL Rubicon: The Gray Goat

Status
Not open for further replies.
AEV is taking FOREVER to get their JL stuff to market, and I keep telling myself I'm going to wait for their bumpers to come out, but the more I look at Expedition One the more I like them. Visible winch mounting, solid recovery points, integrated Hi-Lift jack points, and allows use of OEM fog lights.

Decisions, decisions...

https://expeditiononestore.com/products/jl-trail-series-2-full-width-front-bumper

JL_trail2_front1-1024x683.jpg

Meanwhile, Rhino Rack is also taking forever to get it's new Pioneer Rack out. I really like their JL Backbone system, and then I saw this from Expedition One...

I like the option for no LED light bar on the front (just a straight air dam) and the fact that it is easily removed. And no holes drilled in the roof.

Full length is well suited to carrying kayaks as well as Shiftpod and other stuff. It would also make an easy, secure attachment point to lift off the hardtop for summertime if wanted. It's all aluminum and weighs in at around 50 lbs with a dynamic load rating of 250 lbs and static load rating of 500lbs. IMHO, the price is reasonable too at $1,359.

https://expeditiononestore.com/products/2018-jeep-jl-mule-ultra-roof-rack

rs=w_600,h_600.jpg

Last edited:
The Rhino Rack Pioneer platform still wins in the strength and lower profile department though... the Backbone system is awesome, 850lbs of static load capacity

20181130_100938.jpg

What purpose will a new rack system give you that your current set-up lacks.?

What purpose will a new rack system give you that your current set-up lacks.?

Great question. The answer is the ability to tie down more securely, and to carry loads when off road. The Yakima bars are fine on road, but I really need to be able to carry a dynamic load up there of at least 200 lbs and have no worries on dirt.

That and right now my tie down game is limited to the Yakima round bars and feet. With a Shiftpod up there and one boat I’m maxed out. Need the ability to carry the Shiftpod and TWO boats. Or plywood etc ;)

The big question is will you regret not waiting when the AEV stuff finally does come out?

Trust me on this, Yakima and Thule towers fly to pieces when they contact something more than wind! A solid rack is the only way to go.
Actually, that break away capability is not a bad thing. Case in point 1 - two bikes on Yakima cross bars vs low hanging branch. Bikes and rack destroyed but minimal damage to car roof. Case in point 2 - two bikes mounted on what I believe was a Rhino Rack vs low hanging branch. Bikes destroyed and extensive damage to vehicle roof (might have been totaled). Rack survived pretty much unscathed.

Therein lies my current conundrum:coffee

Based on you’re industry leadership position, like it or not, I’d say wait for what many believe is the top of the line option. But it’s not my money or my impatience at play. I’ve the same struggle regarding my bumper and sometimes wonder if I should have waited for another option, even though I like it a lot.

Actually, that break away capability is not a bad thing. Case in point 1 - two bikes on Yakima cross bars vs low hanging branch. Bikes and rack destroyed but minimal damage to car roof. Case in point 2 - two bikes mounted on what I believe was a Rhino Rack vs low hanging branch. Bikes destroyed and extensive damage to vehicle roof (might have been totaled). Rack survived pretty much unscathed.

Ill take my chances on the quality roof rack and pay attention to what lies ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom