Dave's Jeep JL Rubicon: The Gray Goat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ended up ordering the new JL Genesis dual battery kit for mine at the Expo. Now I can free up more room in the back of the Jeep.

Gonna add some front sway bar disconnects, mainly because they are far beefier than my OEM links

JKS

F144693996.jpg

Dave are you keeping the factory disconnect or removing it? Curious on your feedback for these. I’m looking to upgrade mine once I install my lift.

Keeping it.

Just upgrading the links as I think it’s an easy improvement, and I’m told there’s still some droop left with the factory disconnect. Adding these links will maximize front axle articulation if I really need it.

Dave what series of BD lights did you get, LP9 Sport,racer? My old KC's 150watt lights need a upgrade. I figure with the BD 30" Stealth and some SP9's series to be decided later the bugs will see the light and bust into flames.

Dave what series of BD lights did you get, LP9 Sport,racer? My old KC's 150watt lights need a upgrade. I figure with the BD 30" Stealth and some SP9's series to be decided later the bugs will see the light and bust into flames.

I have the LP9 Pros in driving/combo pattern

I’d check out the new LP6 while you’re looking ;)

I wanted an LED light strip on the rear hatch. Seems simple right?

Nothing I do is simple. It had to be white and red LED’s, and the white light needed to be pleasant. Not the damn bluish 6K interrogation light like some are selling as a “kit” for the JL with a hokey remote control.

I wanted something with RGB (deleting the G and B) at about 3.5K to 4K. And a simple 3 way switch.

Off to Super Bright LED’s I went...

8E7CB79B-6AC7-419B-A8DA-BB5447168638.jpeg

Here’s the lights I ordered. I have some left over for future projects ;)

33E3AC76-11B6-4AC4-9745-5542252180B4.jpeg

I also ordered a nice extrusion from them to mount the light for a finished look. And a small 3 position switch. These lights are triggered off the ground so that made wiring them a snap.

Here are the parts and PN’s from superbrightLEDs.com:

5498DB9F-448C-47BF-BCB1-870F735784CD.jpeg

This was also a good time to add an extra skookum USB port in the cargo area, a Blue Sea 4.8 amp dual USB right next to the Blue Sea power port that runs the Engel. Charging a tablet on a 1 amp USB sucks, so this should fix that ;)

FFB09B44-B28B-42A9-9548-ACDF4FDD7F5D.jpeg

12 ga wiring (after I took this photo I realized I wasn’t happy with 16 ga so I rebuilt it in 12 ga), copious heat shrink and marine grade terminals.

8B479DF9-3410-43B1-8B77-FA2BA6D7962C.jpeg

On the lighting, I hid the switch where it will be out of the way, with no chance of inadvertent activation or dead battery. No LED light on the switch itself, just a basic on/off switch. Total parasitic draw of the two Blue Sea ports and this switch is around 2 mA. Acceptable given the huge benefits.

Back inside the rear driver’s side panel, wiring is 100% squared away. I added spade terminals inline in case I ever want to take the top off. Several colors of heat shrink tubing denote the LED strip’s OEM brown to my black extension to hot wire from the light strip. Red and white are for their corresponding light switches. Blue is common ground which activates the lights. I use orange zip ties as bread crumbs, they identify anything I’ve added. Everything is armored and chafe proof...

7256B966-02CE-4477-8E29-80B07F2B32C5.jpeg

Switch in it’s discrete location just inside the hatch.
839DB3BF-378D-4CE4-8981-4069966168F3.jpeg

277A9B15-7EF4-43A1-AF4E-61E8BB563D02.jpeg

Red or white lighting now available at the rear tailgate area for cooking etc. Finis.

67B4494E-080E-4110-BEB0-ECCEF973C5DA.jpeg

2B954483-A8CD-4948-A37E-FF1C967A416B.jpeg

I wanted an LED light strip on the rear hatch. Seems simple right?

Nothing I do is simple. It had to be white and red LED’s, and the white light needed to be pleasant. Not a a damn bluish 6K interrogation light like some are selling as a “kit” for the JL with a hokey remote control.

I wanted something with RGB (deleting the G and B) at about 3.5K to 4K. Off to Super Bright LED’s I went...

View attachment 42649

Here’s the lights I ordered. I have some left over for future projects ;)

View attachment 42650

I also ordered a nice extrusion from them to mount the light for a finished look. And a small 3 position switch. These lights are triggered off the ground so that made wiring them a snap.

This was also a good time to add an extra skookum USB port in the cargo area, a Blue Sea 4.8 amp dual USB right next to the Blue Sea power port that runs the Engel. Charging a tablet on a 1 amp USB sucks, so this should fix that ;)

View attachment 42651

12 ga wiring, copious heat shrink and marine grade terminals.

View attachment 42652

On the lighting, I hid the switch where it will be out of the way, with no chance of inadvertent activation or dead battery. No LED. Simple. Total parasitic draw of the 2 Blue Sea ports and this switch is around 3 mA. Acceptable given the huge benefits.

Back inside the rear driver’s side panel, wiring is 100% squared away. I added spade terminals inline in case I ever want to take the top off. Several colors of heat shrink tubing denote the LED strip’s OEM brown to my black extension to hot wire from the light strip. Red and white are for their corresponding light switches. Blue is common ground which activates the lights. I use orange zip ties as bread crumbs, they identify anything I’ve added. Everything is armored and chafe proof...

View attachment 42653

Switch in it’s discrete location just inside the hatch.
View attachment 42655
View attachment 42656
Red or white lighting now available at the rear tailgate area for cooking etc. Finis.

View attachment 42654
Dang this is legit, Dave. My skills have a long ways to go in the technology department. Very nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom