Dave's Jeep JL Rubicon: The Gray Goat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious how the AEV bumper will allow access to the drum? Just an observation, the design of the winch negates access to the drum unless I'm not seeing something.
Well, the owner of AEV is an I4WDTA Certified Trainer so he knows the desired characteristics of a trail-worthy front bumper... now, just keep the engineers away from it.

Meanwhile back in Jeepland... Baja Designs LP9’s going on the JL.

Less lights, twice as bright ;)

70A14F4A-00B0-4A2C-9C15-54A9AD221C0C.jpeg

53759A99-2FF5-450A-A04C-21B72583AE74.jpeg

And... ditch lights aka Baja Designs S2 Pros

E9C126F3-9143-43C3-A211-4421B7F69596.jpeg

Mounting and wiring? Easy. Wires headed to an sPOD Bantam (to be continued)... nice of Jeep to leave good routes for wiring accessories. Super easy rig to work on so far...

1043D997-FE06-43C9-A515-29E4752DC964.jpeg

C51233BE-EA65-40E6-B402-8D669AE7DCAC.jpeg

Big fat EPDM bulb gasket and 3M VHB used to isolate any rattles from the plug.

AA1B064E-B78C-4257-8239-281034B26B35.jpeg

Brown truck came by tonight after work...

84F93EED-F91E-45F6-BC7E-D4D77BB09CF6.jpeg

FEATURES

• High current capabilities (30 amps per circuit) with a maximum 100 amp capacity.

• Operates on 12VDC or 24VDC.

• VERY Small footprint: 4.0”W x 4.0”L x 1.125”T

• Programmable functions for: Dimming, Strobe, Flash & Momentary.

• Switch linking (create a master switch to control other switches within the same panel).

• Flexibility to add multiple controller types such as: Touchscreen, HD smart controller, hard rocker switches and wirelessly using the Bantam™ app on a smart phone, tablet or any Bluetooth LE enabled device.

• Expandable up to 32 circuits that can be controlled with single touchscreen, or infinite number of circuits with use of additional controllers, limited only by the supplied power source.

• Ethernet cable interconnect with a 25’ foot distance limitation.

• Fully programmable via free Bantam™ app.

• Current monitoring (via touchscreen and app).

• Protection against: Over current, over heat, short, reverse polarity protection, and field collapse.

• Low voltage detection circuit that will monitor battery voltage and shut system, and all accessories attached to it, off when battery voltage drops below 11.2VDC.

• Ignition control for two circuits (switches 1 and 2).

• Safety lock-out for two circuits (switches 1 and 2).

• 16-position terminal block for end user connections (both ground and power).

• Removable dust cover with spots for legends and port identifications.

• Universal mount.

• 8-position input terminal block for controlling outputs (3.3VDC – 24VDC inputs).

sPOD Bantam installed in the Jeep JLUR.

LP9 harness runs from the lights under the grill and up through the underside of the air box and then to the sPOD. Same routing as the winch power. Excess wire loom is by the battery here, ditch light wiring and sPOD in-cab control Cat-5 cable runs along the firewall. There is a conveniently located plug in the firewall forward of the drivers left knee.

2A4C07E3-AECF-473B-B855-A46E92A511ED.jpeg

Firewall plug, drivers side. Jeep did us all a favor putting that there.

D8FE6B4B-52F4-497D-82B7-D25D0C0B17DB.jpeg

Airbox removed for wire harness routing from the lights to the sPOD

A2C75D82-528A-4877-BCBB-8BBBA3E04E72.jpeg

79B8FA80-B6B1-4AAB-9919-F87E0175E401.jpeg

We’re totally blown away by the LED lighting on our new Jeep JL, and the Baja Designs LP9’s exceed all expectations for an Offroad light. Amber fog mode (shown here), peripheral lighting in a 200 degree arc, and a low beam + high beam white light setting blasts out over 12,000 lumens. Pictures can’t even begin to capture what these lights do at night.

77A0F406-FBFE-4DC0-9BF6-816F4868AAAB.jpeg

Did you have to use 2 circuits on the spod for high/low or does it have the ability to switch on the spod?
I know the lp9’s have a 4 wire connector.. so I’m thinking 2 spots on the spod.

Great lights btw.. have them on the d90

Did you have to use 2 circuits on the spod for high/low or does it have the ability to switch on the spod?
I know the lp9’s have a 4 wire connector.. so I’m thinking 2 spots on the spod.

Great lights btw.. have them on the d90

I used 3 spots on the sPOD for the LP9’s: Fog, low and high power

I used 3 spots on the sPOD for the LP9’s: Fog, low and high power
I see it now (was looking on the small screen), I have my fog setting triggering with the main lights on low beam, and a double throw switch for Hi/low. I am really digging the SPOD setup, Nice work!

Got the sPOD Bantam all wired up, now to give the HD control pad a home. Searching high and low I came across this solution from Carolina Metal Mashers:

https://www.carolinametalmasters.co...cts/cmm-jl-lower-handle-1-ball-mount-solution

Does this remote just control when the auxiliary light are on? If so, I would just keep it in the center console and use as needed. I am not a fan of gadgets on the dash. Could you clip it to the visor ala a garage door opener? Then you only have to have it out when wheeling at night.

Does this remote just control when the auxiliary light are on? If so, I would just keep it in the center console and use as needed. I am not a fan of gadgets on the dash. Could you clip it to the visor ala a garage door opener? Then you only have to have it out when wheeling at night.

Yeah not a fan of vent clips or leaving it loose. Hard mount is best for me.

Yeah... no. HEAVY. Complex systems. And just like an FWC, a camper draws you INSIDE which defeats the purpose of being OUT THERE.

BTDT ;)
I understand 100%.

I went through your whole filppac build thread last night - the thread was closed so I could not respond in there but let me say your documentation of the build details and your explanations of your thought process through the build were exceptional.

Thank you for taking the time to put all of that together, I found it incredibly helpful! :bowdown

I understand 100%.

I went through your whole filppac build thread last night - the thread was closed so I could not respond in there but let me say your documentation of the build details and your explanations of your thought process through the build were exceptional.

Thank you for taking the time to put all of that together, I found it incredibly helpful! :bowdown

:thumbsup

Dave,
I too have combed over your builds and very impressed with your attention to detail and thought process which went into making decisions. I intend to copy a lot of your fwc build. Remember, imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery.. I travelled to the expo with the sole purpose of checking out the torque wagon only to find out you sold it.... I’ve gone from a Baja pop up to a 40ft fifth wheel and now headed the route of a flat bed fwc...

With regard to Jeep build, What do you intend to use for shelter- tent, rtt, overland trailer, or the good old fashioned bivy sack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom