Dash Cams

toneout

Adventurist
I was thinking about getting a dash cam to record my overlanding exploits that no one can believe I undertake in Old Blue. Does anyone have any suggestions on a brand or model? I want one that I can record several minutes or more of video to document obstacles etc. I also want the availability of viewing was is recording and suction cup mounting. Am I not able to do that with a dash cam? My GoPro does not fit the bill since I can't see what I am recording. Thanks.

I run dashcams in all my vehicles and highly recommend Garmin's offerings. The video quality is pretty good, really good compared to all the cheaper "truckstop specials" you see on ebay and amazon. Pretty much whatever Garmin's latest offering is in your price range is what I would recommend (mine are now 2 generations old and still awesome).

I have a section in my build thread about mine.

I'm running the Auto-vox B40-C dash cam. (There are a few variations of this model) I've had this for over two years now and it still works great. I had one on my 1500 also, so that's about 4yrs of running these. But I broke that one when we were switching trucks. (left it in reach of kids)

Shoots in 1080p, continuous and has a shock sensor that can lock your files to prevent overwrite in the event of an accident. Also pretty wide field of view. Low profile and unobtrusive which I like. You can't really see it either.

dash-cam-install.jpg

camera-installed.jpg

I wish someone that made one that had, in addition to all the normal loop-recorder and G-shock based recording, also included a timelapse function...

I wish someone that made one that had, in addition to all the normal loop-recorder and G-shock based recording, also included a timelapse function...

Mine has three recording methods, mp4 or jpg. JPG would basically be timelapse. But it's been a long time since I fiddled with that menu.

OP you know GoPro makes/made video backs and wifi backs for some of their cameras right? I've used the wifi back on my old Hero2 and had it streaming to the tablet inside; there is a slight delay though which can be pretty annoying if you're trying to capture stills using the remote.

I really want to get a dedicated dash cam as well though but primary for traffic. I start looking at them them get overwhelmed by all of th choices and reading the reviews and end up not buying.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions/input. I have narrowed it all down to either a new gopro or one of the garmins. I don't really use my older gopro, so I think a new one would be too much of a waste of the extra money. So it continues...

I have the same one as @BoldAdventure in my 4runner, its great for a dash cam, but I think it would be a bit of a pita for trail recording.

And that is my conundrum. None of these webcams advertise themselves for that purpose. It would all depend on how long the loop lasts on a specific size memory card and how easy it will be to edit the loop footage from the card using the provided software. From what I have read, most of them have a shock sensor that rewinds a bit of time and saves that footage. Others have a button that does the same. I like the price of webcams but maybe it has to be a gopro or similar for what I am wanting it to do. I just liked the 30 sec or 1 min auto backup. Sometimes you dont know when shit is about to get real until after it starts. :)

I just liked the 30 sec or 1 min auto backup. Sometimes you dont know when shit is about to get real until after it starts. :)

Until after it is over.

I simply can't stress how big of a deal dash cam footage is when you need it after a crash or kther critical incident.

I run a gopro on my dash for random videos and time lapse stuff, I run a dedicated dash cam for protecting my liability or liberty after a crash or incident. (And manually save videos of stupid people on the roads).

I would recommend not trying to fit all your needs on a single device at this time. A product might fill that gap in the future , but until then I use specific purpose built devices for my needs.

And that is my conundrum. None of these webcams advertise themselves for that purpose. It would all depend on how long the loop lasts on a specific size memory card and how easy it will be to edit the loop footage from the card using the provided software. From what I have read, most of them have a shock sensor that rewinds a bit of time and saves that footage. Others have a button that does the same. I like the price of webcams but maybe it has to be a gopro or similar for what I am wanting it to do. I just liked the 30 sec or 1 min auto backup. Sometimes you dont know when shit is about to get real until after it starts. :)

It would work, but it's sloppy. Iirc the longest loop is 5 (or 3 maybe ) mins. You would have the button to save.

Thanks to all who replied and provided valuable thoughts and insight. It is now as clear as a creek crossing right after you go through. I will have to ponder my purchase (and see what goes on sale next!).

Back
Top Bottom