Crock Pot Cookin'

Crock Pot Cookin'

Post up your favorite Crock Pot Cookin' Recipes! I just love my crock pot! It's perfect for a single guy! Just plug and go! And when you get home, dinner is ready!

An email to my neighbor last night when I dropped the meat candy in the crock. The brown sugar and maple syrup are the key!

Aloha! Hans.....

Tonight I am putting a 2 1/2 pound beef brisket in my crock pot. It's going to slow cook over night. Stab it with a knife, then add brown sugar and maple syrup.

I stopped at North Park Produce on my way home from the gun shop, and got my veggies tonight....

Broccoli

Mexican Squash

Red Serrano Peppers

Jalapeno Peppers

Carrots

Red Onion

Brussels Sprouts

Red Potatoes

Sweet Potato

I also have regular russet potatoes on hand

It cooks all night long. Then tomorrow about 2 hours before I am going to eat, I put in my veggies. That way they do not over cook.

Let me know if you would like to partake tomorrow. Not sure if your kids are still here. They can have some too.

I could make a side of white rice to add more food/filling.

And I bought red leaf lettuce and other goodies for salad.

This would be the Best Beef Brisket you have Ever had! I call it Meat Candy!

Lemme Know.

Aloha!

~Mark

DSCF1590_zps45d57ef0.jpg

Crock Pot Cookin'

Post up your favorite Crock Pot Cookin' Recipes! I just love my crock pot! It's perfect for a single guy! Just plug and go! And when you get home, dinner is ready!

An email to my neighbor last night when I dropped the meat candy in the crock. The brown sugar and maple syrup are the key!

Aloha! Hans.....

Tonight I am putting a 2 1/2 pound beef brisket in my crock pot. It's going to slow cook over night. Stab it with a knife, then add brown sugar and maple syrup.

I stopped at North Park Produce on my way home from the gun shop, and got my veggies tonight....

Broccoli

Mexican Squash

Red Serrano Peppers

Jalapeno Peppers

Carrots

Red Onion

Brussels Sprouts

Red Potatoes

Sweet Potato

I also have regular russet potatoes on hand

It cooks all night long. Then tomorrow about 2 hours before I am going to eat, I put in my veggies. That way they do not over cook.

Let me know if you would like to partake tomorrow. Not sure if your kids are still here. They can have some too.

I could make a side of white rice to add more food/filling.

And I bought red leaf lettuce and other goodies for salad.

This would be the Best Beef Brisket you have Ever had! I call it Meat Candy!

Lemme Know.

Aloha!

~Mark

DSCF1590_zps45d57ef0.jpg

Camote or papa dulce?

Home Made Chicken Soup in the Crock!

Buy a whole chicken on sale for just $.88 cents per pound!

Stick the Whole Chicken in your crock pot! Top it off with water. Then add all your spices that you love! And top it with sliced Red Onions!

Cook it overnight.....long and slow!

Then in the morning, take the chicken out and de~bone it and put the meat back in.

Then add your veggies and noodles, and anything you enjoy.

By lunch time, you will have the most totally awesome Chicken Soup you ever had! And it will last all day long! Perfect for those cold winter days.

You will never want to buy canned chicken soup ever again! I Promise! This is an SWR Original.....

2007_1206CrockPotWholeChicken0007.jpg

Hawaiian Style Kalua Pig in the Crock Pot!

Start with a good large pork butt. Stab it with a knife and pour smoke flavor over it. Mesquite or Hickory works for me! Then sprinkle Hawaiian rock salt over it. Cook it long and slow, overnight. And the next day, you have to most awesome Pork you have ever tasted. Be sure to have some Cabbage on hand! And some white rice.....so you can have Kalua Pig and Cabbage, with white rice on da side!

I used to do this in Hawaii in my kitchen oven. I would wrap the pork butt in ti leaves, or banana leaves after the smoke flavor and salt. You can try this too.

2008_0220KaluaPigHawaiianStyl0001.jpg

The original old Hawaiian way.....

[video=youtube;sYVGJbwOP10]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sYVGJbwOP10[/video]

I put in some 'meat candy' per SWR's instructions; I will check back in tomorrow night with the results!

my wifes deer camp chili

Sally’s Deer Camp Chili
1 lb Ground Venison
1 Onion, peeled, & chopped...
2 Cloves Garlic, peeled & minced
1 6oz. Can Tomato Paste
2 15oz. cans Ranch Style Beans, with juice.
1 14 1\2oz, can Diced Tomatoes w\ juice
1 1\2tblspns Chili Powder
1 1\2tblspns Ancho Chili Powder
1 teaspns Ground Cumin
1 cup Beef Broth
2 tblspns Vegetable Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
4 to 6 slices Jalapeno Pepper, jarred is what I like using.
Shredded Cheddar Cheese & diced fresh onion
Over medium high heat add oil, add ground venison breaking up clumps of deer meat with wooden spoon. Add garlic & onion cooking until deer meat is browned & onion are translucent. Add tomato paste, chili powders (both ancho & chili powder), ground cumin & a dash of the beef broth reserving the rest later while stirring to incorporate with deer meat mixture. Season with salt & pepper if needed. Crock pot on low setting add the rest of beef broth, sliced jalapeno pepper, can diced tomatoes, ranch style beans, stirring ingredients together. Add meat mixture to crock pot, cook for 6 on low setting. Sprinkle chili with cheese & fresh dices onion in bowls serve with crackers or corn bread.

14470595_1121140431268163_2953634152209794731_n.jpg

I gotta admit, I've gotten lazier since I discovered the crock pot cooking bags in the grocery. They make clean up a lot easier.

I cook a good bit of pork roast but also beef and venison. I'll also do soups as well since you basically toss in whatever you have, some stock and seasonings and let it go. Definitely an easy way to make a couple of meals.

Turkey over Rice
This one is super easy and crazy good
Thaw turkey breast
Remove net and cut into 4 or 5 chunks
Put in crock pot and cover with water
Tsp black pepper
Add in the gravy packet and 1/2 stick of real butter
Cook 8 hours, until turkey starts to fall apart
Serve over rice, salt to taste

Turkey.PNG

Zuppa Toscana
This is what I brought to Overland Expo East

Ingredients:
4 cups chicken stock or broth
1 lb spicy Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
3 russet potatoes, 1⁄8-1/4 inch slices
1⁄2 large onion, diced
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
Salt and pepper​

Optional Ingredients:
2 tsp red pepper flakes​

Reserved Ingredients:
2 cups kale or Swiss chard, rinsed and chopped
1 cup heavy whipping cream​

Instructions:
  1. Place all ingredients except for kale and heavy cream into a large slow cooker.
  2. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or until potatoes are tender. (or high for 4-5 hours)
  3. Stir in heavy cream and kale and let cook for another 30 minutes.
Add grated Parmesan cheese on top when serving if you want.

Orange (or Honey) Teriyaki Chicken

Ingredients:
4 boneless chicken breasts, about 2 pounds
1⁄2 cup soy sauce
1⁄2 cup orange marmalade or honey
1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger​

Optional Ingredients:
Some dried chilies depending on how much heat you want.​

Reserved Ingredients:
1⁄4 cup water
3 Tablespoons Cornstarch​

Instructions:
  1. Place the chicken breasts and optional chilies in the slow cooker
  2. In a small bowl whisk the soy sauce, honey or marmalade, rice wine vinegar, onion, garlic, pepper and ginger. Pour over the chicken breasts.
  3. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 4-5 or until chicken is cooked throughout and shreds easily. Once the chicken is cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and shred on a plate.
  4. Pour the sauce into a medium sauce pan. In a small bowl, whisk together the water and cornstarch. Slowly whisk into the sauce on medium high heat. Continue to whisk and let it boil until the teriyaki sauce starts to thicken. About 2 minutes.
  5. Add the chicken back to the slow cooker and pour the sauce on top stirring to coat.

Serve over rice and garnish if desired.

Steak, Onions and Pierogies

Ingredients:
40 oz of frozen pierogies (e.g. 3 boxes Mrs T’s pierogies whatever flavor you prefer)
4 cups beef broth
1 package (8 ounce) cream cheese
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (One 7 oz package is close enough)
2 lbs of steak. (You really don’t need a top cut. It’s going into a slow cooker after all)
1 medium onion.
4 tbsp butter ( ½ stick )​

Instructions:
  1. Place about half of the frozen pierogies and half of the sharp cheddar cheese in the bottom of your slow cooker.
  2. Dice the onion. In a saute pan melt the butter and begin caramelizing the diced onion over a medium heat.
  3. With the onions started. In a saucepan, warm the beef broth and cream cheese together until the cream cheese has melted. Wisk as necessary to break down any lumps of cream cheese.

Don’t forget to keep an eye on your onions.

4. While the onions are caramelizing and the broth is warming cook your steak by whatever method you prefer. The end product needs to be cut/diced into chunks about the size of the last knuckle of your thumb.
  5. When your steak and onions are ready cover the frozen pierogies and cheese in the bottom of your slow cooker with half of both. Add the rest of the frozen pierogies, cheddar cheese. Cover that with the remaining steak and onions.
  6. Pour your broth/cream cheese mixture over the top.
  7. Cook on high 3–4 hours until most of the liquid is absorbed. Or on low 6–7 hours.
IMG_20171221_164810469.jpg

@Blkwgn_wyfee does a lot of crock pot meals, my favorite is probably the simplest.

A couple of chicken breasts, a tablespoon of taco seasoning, and a jar of salsa. Let it cook on low all day and rip the chicken apart, use it in tacos, enchiladas, or sandwiches

Just did this with a 2 lb. pot roast but I doubled the salsa (32 oz.) + 1/4 of water. After cooking all day that gave me about 3 cups of liquid to make Spanish rice.
IMG_20180727_183204.jpg

Slow Cooker Pork Loin and Bacon Split Pea Soup

- 1 lb of smoked uncured bacon
- 1 lb of pork loin, bones in
- 1 tablespoon of flour (optional)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 lb. dried green or yellow split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 6 cups chicken broth (If you're in need of a suggestion. I use Better Than Bouillon or Knorr Homestyle Stock). Reserve 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 Bay leaves

Directions;
You can use two skillets to speed up the prep work.

Skillet #1:
Place 2 tablespoons butter into a skillet over medium-low heat. Once melted, add the onion and sautee for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, making certain not to allow onions or garlic to brown. Place the garlic and onions in a bowl and set them aside for later.

Debone and dice up the loin into small pieces. About the size of the end of your pinkie finger.

(Optional) Place the tablespoon of flour in a Ziploc bag and add the loin. Close the bag and seal it then shake the bag so the meat is fully coated.

In the skillet melt the remaining butter over a medium-low heat. When the butter is melted raise the heat to medium. Add the loin and brown it being careful not to burn. You don't have to completely cook the loin. It will finish cooking in the slow cooker. Remove and set it aside.

Add the reserved cup of chicken broth to deglaze the skillet. When done pour off the broth into a bowl and set it aside for later.

Skillet #2:
Dice up the bacon and add them to the skillet. Cook until the fat is rendered. Remove the bacon from the fat with a slotted spoon and set it aside.

Cook the scrap bones, meat and fat in the bacon grease and set aside when done.

Slow Cooker:
Place the prepared and remaining ingredients in your slow cooker including the broth used to deglaze skillet #1 and the scraps from skillet #2 on top.

Cook on high until the desired consistency of the peas are reached. About 4 hours. Remove the scrap bones and fat.

You can serve immediately or refrigerate for later.

Slow Cooker Pork Loin and Bacon Split Pea Soup

- 1 lb of smoked uncured bacon
- 1 lb of pork loin, bones in
- 1 tablespoon of flour (optional)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 lb. dried green or yellow split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 6 cups chicken broth (If you're in need of a suggestion. I use Better Than Bouillon or Knorr Homestyle Stock). Reserve 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 Bay leaves

Directions;
You can use two skillets to speed up the prep work.

Skillet #1:
Place 2 tablespoons butter into a skillet over medium-low heat. Once melted, add the onion and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, making certain not to allow onions or garlic to brown. Place the garlic and onions in a bowl and set them aside for later.

Debone and dice up the loin into small pieces. About the size of the end of your pinkie finger.

(Optional) Place the tablespoon of flour in a Ziploc bag and add the loin. Close the bag and seal it then shake the bag so the meat is fully coated.

In the skillet melt the remaining butter over a medium-low heat. When the butter is melted raise the heat to medium. Add the loin and brown it being careful not to burn. You don't have to completely cook the loin. It will finish cooking in the slow cooker. Remove and set it aside.

Add the reserved cup of chicken broth to deglaze the skillet. When done pour off the broth into a bowl and set it aside for later.

Skillet #2:
Dice up the bacon and add them to the skillet. Cook until the fat is rendered. Remove the bacon from the fat with a slotted spoon and set it aside.

Cook the scrap bones, meat and fat in the bacon grease and set aside when done.

Slow Cooker:
Place the prepared and remaining ingredients in your slow cooker including the broth used to deglaze skillet #1 and the scraps from skillet #2 on top.

Cook on high until the desired consistency of the peas are reached. About 4 hours. Remove the scrap bones and fat.

You can serve immediately or refrigerate for later.

Modification for Dutch Ovens.
  1. Place 2 tablespoons butter into a dutch oven. Once melted, add the onion and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, making certain not to allow onions or garlic to brown. Place the garlic and onions in a bowl and set them aside for later.

2. Dice up the bacon and add them to the dutch oven. Cook until the fat is rendered. Remove the bacon from the fat with a slotted spoon and set it aside.

3. Cook the pork loin in the bacon fat and brown it being careful not to burn.

4. Throw everything in the dutch oven, give it a good stir, and cook it at about 250° F for about 4 hours. More or less time depending on the desired consistency of the split peas.
You don't want too much heat and end up nearly boiling off all the water. That's why I recommend such a low temp. You can always cook under-cooked food longer. You can't un-burn it.

There's a general rule of thumb to control temperature and get even heating when using charcoal briquettes with dutch oven.
  • Doubling the diameter of the dutch oven and placing 1/3's of the charcoal briquettes below and 2/3's on the lid will get you a fairly even heat at about 350° F.

• Removing or adding 2 briquettes, one from the lid and one from below the dutch oven, lowers or raises the internal temperature of the dutch oven about 25° F.
So To get about 250° F in a 12" dutch oven you'll need 12 briquettes on the lid and 4 underneath.

Back
Top Bottom