Cot in Tent

x3 on this until I sold the Springbar for a Globetrotter. I also used a thermarest on the cot for a little add'l insulation on cooler/cold nights. Cots aren't as bad as an uninsulated air mattress, but cold air circulates under the cot and the thermarest was great insulation and just a little added padding on the cot too!

Good point, and perhaps one of those rollup yoga pads or exercise pads I saw at the AmVets Thrift Store would fit better as an insulating pad between a cot and a "fartsack" (as it is known in the USA INF). Many of the rollup yoga or exercise pads were virtually brand-new, and the AmVets folks priced them at $6 to $8 each, which I thought was a pretty good value for someone looking for a streamlined yet thick and comfortable sleeping pad, 10-4??? And some of those pads were cut down a bit in size, meaning they would fit NICELY atop a cot and between that cot and the camper's fartsack, yeah??? Just my $.02, for what it's worth, and maybe that ain't so much... unless you've been in the field all your life, as I have, and are actively looking for ways to save money.

can koozies

Slip them on your cot legs at night and keep your can cold during the day
A multi-use solution

yvujyrab.jpg

Sent from my iPad
Steve Simpson
Stafford, Virginia

8abytyzy.jpg

ry2unudy.jpg

Just got the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC hammock and checking out maps of Piscataquis and Somerset counties in Maine.

Sent from my iPad
Steve Simpson
Stafford, Virginia

8abytyzy.jpg

ry2unudy.jpg

Just got the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC hammock and checking out maps of Piscataquis and Somerset counties in Maine.

Sent from my iPad
Steve Simpson
Stafford, Virginia

I have had a blackbird for about 3 years. Absolutely love it, and very well made.

Cut up some squares of cardboard. Use the under the feet. I use cots in my Kodiak.

Brett C.
IronworksTactical.com - owner

8abytyzy.jpg

ry2unudy.jpg

Sent from my iPad
Steve Simpson
Stafford, Virginia

Well, good, that's settled then. You'll have the lead in Maine this June.

I wouldn't worry about the feet to much, the floor of the Oztent is more durable than you might think. We use both an RV-3 and RV-5. In the RV-5 Ben runs the Oztent Cots and hasn't had any issue with the integrity of the floor, and he runs the setup at least 30 times a year. I just use a nemo ground pad in my RV-3, but I have had cots in there side by side without issue.

Make sure you get a sturdy tarp for the base, I just use one I got a Home Depot that fits the bill quite nicely and it really protects the bottom from sharp sticks and rocks.

...Make sure you get a sturdy tarp for the base, I just use one I got a Home Depot that fits the bill quite nicely and it really protects the bottom from sharp sticks and rocks.

I used a 'salvage cover' I ordered cut to size to fit the width of the tent and extend a few feet beyond the front. It is heavy duty, flame retardant, vinyl. Essentially what fire departments use to cover your belongings when your house is on fire.

I used a 'salvage cover' I ordered cut to size to fit the width of the tent and extend a few feet beyond the front. It is heavy duty, flame retardant, vinyl. Essentially what fire departments use to cover your belongings when your house is on fire.

Good idea, I've never considered one of these, how do they hold up to water? I'm a big fan of the tarp because I can just let it hang out to dry and throw it in the trashroo if it's wet.

How about those interlocking foam/rubber tiles or rolls/mats they use in event tents and gyms, etc.

Those are exactly what I use now. I do need to buy and cut a second set to cover the entire floor area. They do give some insulation to the floor too.

I cut up scrap OSB or plywood into about 3-4" squares to use under the legs of the metal frame of my wall tend on soft ground. When I stayed longer term in the tent, I put some of them under the feet of my bed frame. They worked well, no cuts or tears in the tarp I use for a floor. The bed frame feet are just pipe, not much surface area.

We don't worry too much about it, but the floor of our tent is separate and is also a canvas topped/sewn heavy tarp, so the cot feet don't do anything to the floor.

The meandering take away here is that a canvas drop cloth from Harbor Freight costs $10 or less and you can use that to protect your floor.

F8Industries-AdventureWebSized-02.jpg

When I used a cot with feet I too was concerned about them stretching or damaging the tent floor especially on soft terrain (powder sand); I just cut some approx. 6"x6" patches of carpeting and used them to ease the strain on the floor.
...the current cot is a heavy, bulky Coleman with springs (way more comfortable than the wally mart accordion style cot (with leaky air mattress) which it replaced) with bent tubing legs... no feet.

Enjoy!

I have a Kingdom 4 by REI, used this with 2 cots. Protects the floor and adds a nice layer of insulation. Folds up smaill and is very lightweight, but durable.
http://www.pahaque.com/pq/product.asp?pid=113051&ret_id=1455119

View attachment 27868

Did you have any problems with your Kingdom leaking? I really wanted to like mine, but just couldn't keep the inside from getting wet. That being said, we're using REI Kingdom cots now in a Marmot Limestone 6 tent, and we use a cut up cheap sleeping pad to protect the floor from the cot's legs.

Back
Top Bottom